Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Thumbs up Hey yall, I'm quitting smoking!

Or at least severely cutting back. The reason for this, regardless of the insistence of my girlfriend (I don't think I could ever do something like this at the request of a girl (or anyone else for that matter) without resenting her) is just because I feel like (for the first time) its actually effecting my physical health. Soar lungs and general mild aches and pains which I attribute to the smoking habit, and just a general lack of the sense of smell too.

Today I smoked 4 cigarettes (down from my usual 10+) one around noon, one after lunch with some coffee, one at some point in the afternoon and then one right after work. I went to dinner, drank 2 liters of beer with the meal, came home, grabbed another little 296 ml beer on the way home (which I'm drinking right now), have a nice buzz going, and have no real desire to smoke!

I mean, I know that typically in this situation I would have a cigarette, but right now I really don't feel any need, I don't feel that pull, that "God I need a fing cigarette feeling, and its kind of nice.

Is it okay to just smoke a few, maybe 2 or 3 cigarettes a day? I feel like quiting outright would put too much stress on my life at this point, but surely cutting back to only a few a day is much easier on a persons physical constitution then a pack a day, right?

Anyway, not really sure why I'm even sharing this with you guys, but wish me luck.
    And do be sure to check out my sketchbook if you have time!
    ketchook
    LinkedIn

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'm a ways in to quitting now.
    The advice I'll say is cold turkey.

I'm sure you know, for many people as little as 1 cigarette can get you addicted.
    All you're doing, by giving yourself those 2 or 3 smokes, is just reminding your body
    that it is addicted to nicotine. Cold turkey is a bitch for a couple days. Irritability can be through the roof. I would'nt recommend starting it on like a weekday or anytime you're going to be surrounded by a bunch of people. But if you can start on a weekend or something, give yourself a couple days to mentally adjust to the change as well as physical, I think you'll be ok.

After that inital hump though, you may think you're over you're addiction, but again it only takes one. Even getting second hand can kind of set you off at that point.

I wish you the best of luck though. Good for you man.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    I really can never understand why anyone would voluntarily give up being cool?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to IKV Nexis For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks
    I think if I had soar lungs I'd be enjoying my newfound ability to fly! Heyo!

Good to hear it, man. I keep almost getting addicted every other week or so. That's not, like, a habit, right?

Thanks
    I always thought people just smoked two or three a day. You mean to say they do more than that?

Damn.

Thanks
    Good luck to you! ^_^

Thanks
    I quit for 17 days a few weeks ago, then cracked - but trying again.

This time, I'm looking at cigarette addiction as nothing but a weakness. I hate that these little cylindrical bastards can have this firm of a hold on me - I'm basically their bitch, right?

Marlboro Man: "Hey come pick me up.. now."
    Me: "Really? It's 2 am dude, I don't feel-"
    Marlboro Man: "I SAID come get me, bitch!"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti Ball View Post
    Or at least severely cutting back. The reason for this, regardless of the insistence of my girlfriend (I don't think I could ever do something like this at the request of a girl (or anyone else for that matter) without resenting her) is just because I feel like (for the first time) its actually effecting my physical health. Soar lungs and general mild aches and pains which I attribute to the smoking habit, and just a general lack of the sense of smell too.

Today I smoked 4 cigarettes (down from my usual 10+) one around noon, one after lunch with some coffee, one at some point in the afternoon and then one right after work. I went to dinner, drank 2 liters of beer with the meal, came home, grabbed another little 296 ml beer on the way home (which I'm drinking right now), have a nice buzz going, and have no real desire to smoke!

I mean, I know that typically in this situation I would have a cigarette, but right now I really don't feel any need, I don't feel that pull, that "God I need a fing cigarette feeling, and its kind of nice.

Is it okay to just smoke a few, maybe 2 or 3 cigarettes a day? I feel like quiting outright would put too much stress on my life at this point, but surely cutting back to only a few a day is much easier on a persons physical constitution then a pack a day, right?

Anyway, not really sure why I'm even sharing this with you guys, but wish me luck.

Cold turkey, after 5 days you already gonna manage the symptoms. After 2 week, you gonna feel like you have nicotine in your blood 24/24, because the drugs is almost gone, so almost no symptoms. The need of a smoke is gone.

2-3 cigarettes a day, is the worst thing you can do to your self. Why? Because in between those 2-3 cigarettes, all you gonna think of is about those 2-3 cigarettes, you better of having a full pack a day than those 2-3 smoke unless you like pain and keep it going.

See, cigarettes is not like a ''normal'' drug, you smoke it to feel normal. When you trow that cigarette away, you already start the craving and your body ask for more to feel normal again.

ALL the other drugs are different, you take them to feel the buzz so when you quit, you feel normal again but the need remains. This is why is hard to quit smoking, your brain and the craving work together to fuck you up.

Don't feel depress about it, think about the craving inside of you as if you are healing from that dicease.

Good luck, and if you keep it going, never, EVER have one again unless you want to go back to your current regular habit and go trough the ''rehab'' again.

Thanks
    Just realise you're NOT addicted to the nicotine. You just want to smoke because of the nice assosiations you have with them/its in your rythm. The nicotine takes about 72 hours to fully get out of your system.
    (23:41:52) (ArneLurk) I woner of there are people who have hairy penises

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    If you're still smoking FOUR cigarettes a day then you are NOT quitting smoking... One every other week would be a different story, but all in all, no smoking means no smoking. In order to quit smoking, you have to QUIT SMOKING.

Thanks
    Good Luck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Kobryn View Post
    If you're still smoking FOUR cigarettes a day then you are NOT quitting smoking... One every other week would be a different story, but all in all, no smoking means no smoking. In order to quit smoking, you have to QUIT SMOKING.
    I know that man. Yesterday was the first day after I decided to cut back, and I feel like it was a pretty good start, considering I typically smoke about 4 or more cigarettes with dinner.

Anyway, its 10:30 am now and I have yet to smoke and I feel fine. The thing is I enjoy smoking, so its not something I necessarily want to give up absolutely.
    I know many people who only smoke on occasion, and I'd like to reign in my addiction to that level if its possible. Is it possible to go from being a full-time smoker to just a once and a while smoker or do you have to just quit and never touch one again, least you fall back into the old regular habit?
    ketchook
    LinkedIn

Thanks
    awesome dude, good luck and hope it all goes well for ya
    Must keep drawing!!!

DeviantArt

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    I know a lot of smokers who've quit totally, some of them for years, some of them are joggers and vegetarians, I've seen most of them give in to temptation while drunk at New Years or a Wedding or similar.

They usually cough and don't enjoy it.
    Their brain still thinks "yes! nicotine headrush, awesome!" unfortunately their body no longer agrees with that assessment.

Weekend drunk cigarette seems to work great for some people though.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 379 Posts
    Go easy on him a bit, I've heard stories of people having a heart attack after going cold turkey instantly. I didn't quite coffee like that, I just switched to tea.

Thanks
    Good friend of mine smoked more than a pack a day for nearly ten years. About 6 months ago after being lambasted by me, his wife, and his wifes family about how irresponsible he is to have habits that he knows are going to kill him or at least give him serious physical disadvantages physically when he ought to be getting healthy to raise his year and a half old son, he quit cold turkey.

He is a selfish, impulsive, childish fuck of a man, but if he can do it, anyone can.
    Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Sepulverture For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    WEll keep doing you best o cut to none .. i never smoked but many in my family did or still dose. Its hard to stop my brother it took him many try's to do it and he need to for medical reason.. he is alive but on O2 now due to what it did to him over near 50 years. You need to look at this way how long and what kind life do you want.. long and with good health or short with a quick fix from something that is turning you lungs into tar pit?. Ya its going to suck being you for few weeks to go cold Turkey but in the end you will live much longer and find life a be more enjoyable ..

I think you have many people who will help support you in this .

CC

23. The Following User Says Thank You to CCorsair For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sepulverture, thanks for the kind words of motivation. I'm curious the friend you mentioned is a Chinese guy or a laowai. (I'm assuming you live in Beijing and that you are laowai yourself, if not congrats on your English skillz) Of all the places in the world to choose to quit smoking, China may be one of the worst!

For those of you who have didn't know, the Chinese take cigarette smoking very seriously. There are cigarette shops on every corner, I think something like 3 in 4 Chinese men smoke, and my favorite statistic is how they produce more blackmarket fake cigarettes here each year then all the cigarettes collectively smoked by Americans in that same year.

Plus they are cheap here. I was in New York a few weeks ago, where they cost something like 12 to 14 USD a pack. That cost is reason enough to quit. Of course I brought along a case of Double Happiness that run about a buck a pack!
    ketchook
    LinkedIn

Thanks
    Thanks CC. Sorry to hear about your brother... The idea of ending up in a situation similar to what your describing is the main reason I'm done. I love smoking but its just not sustainable.
    ketchook
    LinkedIn

Thanks
    Step 1: Realize you are powerless to resist your addiction.
    Step 2: Accept Jesus Christ your Lord and Saviour in to your heart.
    Step 3: ?????
    Step 4: Congratulations, you've quit smoking.

Brendan Noeth

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brendan N For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    I usually quit smoking whenever I have a cold, but weeks later at the bar BOOM I'm a smoker again. I can see the secret is to not want to smoke.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti Ball View Post
    Thanks CC. Sorry to hear about your brother... The idea of ending up in a situation similar to what your describing is the main reason I'm done. I love smoking but its just not sustainable.
    Thanks My brother is still hanging in there.. He is very happy to have stopped smoking and tells people that a lot.. If you are in China that a 1000 time harder to quit as the Us companies sold out to the market there and the stuff that is smoked over there is 1000% worse than what in the US.. and no filters at best nothing that really works (like any really did). I am the only one in my family that didn't smoke ..ok well my grandmother didn't but that was about it ..
    It's not like lived in house full of smoke but nearly .. I can't stand it but I do put up with it as long as people are not rude about it if I ask them not to smoke in my house or in the art I work ..The main problem with wanting to quit and really quieting is the drug is like part of your brain and it really push's you to smoke as much as you can.. I had a friend that quit and hit the gym and he the sauna and sweated him self when he felt like lighting up it seem to work and he lost some ponds doing it but his brother did the same and still didn't get away free.. lost part of his liver and right lung he's a live for now but they say it was just too late and he didn't smoke that long or that much it was more second hand with his family and all.. It strange how some time it not the one who smokes the most that get hit it just a matter of what makes you tick maybe in you DNA but who knows .. Good luck and i hope you make clean cut of smoking...

CC

Thanks
    hey bro good like with the quitting!!!!

As a smoker myself there's only a couple of things I can tell you. First of all, the nicotine addiction is riddicullously weak. It has very little power over your body actually. What makes fags a bitch of a burden is the habitual addiction. Meaning, it's hard to dissassociate habits, passtimes or even feelings from cigarettes. Your brain links stuff with smoking the way dogs are trained. Bored waiting for the bus? here, have a cookie. Having a beer? here, have a cookie. And so on, to the point where you can't resist it. So first thing you have to convince yourself when you "feel weak" is that there's no way you can't handle the urge. Even tea is more addictive than cigarettes!

Anyway, the only other thing I can assure you, is that there's no real method to quitting. Only realising how the habit works for you can help you. Whether you quit cold turkey or gradually smoke less and less, you have to attack your urges. Convince your brain that break from work doesn't mean nicotine fix, neither does afternoon coffee.

What I did was managing to dissassociate every single one of my daily habits from smoking. And though I do smoke more or less 1-2 cigarettes a day, I can go days without a smoke, not forceing myself, but just because I forget about it. I know I'm still hooked, but going from 1,5 pack of marlboro reds to a 1-2 Marlboro lights whenever I feel like it, it's not that bad!!!

sorry for the long post, and good luck!!!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to TheJester For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 884 Posts
    Good luck!

I totally gave up last year cold turkey (get rid of everything! lighters, ashtrays etc) but then slipped and now usually have 1 or 2 a day, I can go without all day if I don't have any or can't and don't really think about it anymore. So now it's when I'm bored that I'll crave it the most, so I try to fill my days with activities I don't associate with smoking, and when I go to a pub now I try and avoid the beer garden so I'm not tempted.

It's all a matter of how you think about smoking, I think you're on the right track, feeling good about not smoking is the first step.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,700 Times in 4,610 Posts

Thanks
    Good luck dude. Never smoked in my life so I can't say I know what it feels like, but from a passerby I can say it reeks! Never could understand why people like the taste of tasteless/poisonous air.

Anyway, still...good luck.
    Last edited by Monkabit; August 20th, 2010 at 04:03 PM.

Thanks
    Yeti Ball - I'm American, and He's German. He's been clean for the whole time since he quit, and he is visibly healthier, looks younger, has a lot more energy, isn't moody anymore, and says his sense of smell is returning.

But yes, quitting smoking here IS a hard thing, since so many people smoke, smokes are cheap as hell, and they are really on every street corner. The walk from the subway platform to my office is less than a 5 minute walk at a brisk pace, and on my route alone there are 6 cigarette shops, not to mention the wandering vendors. Chinese smokes are far stronger than American smokes too. When my girl and I went back to the states to visit my family, she offered my dad (who has smoked since he was a teenager) a cigarette from a local brand here, and he couldn't take more than a couple of puffs before he gave up trying to smoke that thing.

Good luck, it will be well worth it if you just give it up all together and push through the period of adjustment.
    Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

Thanks
    I'd say go cold turkey. For me it's not so much about needing my fix but rather the activity, the habit. The 5 day barrier is the hardest, if you exceed that, it's a lot easier not to. I basically quit smoking every winter because it's hella cold to smoke outside (hey, -20degC is no joke) and I get this slime in my throat, pick up again in the spring, quit again in the height of summer when it's hot and the smell of smoke disgusts me and makes me dizzy and pick up again in the autumn.

good luck!

Thanks
    I know many people who only smoke on occasion, and I'd like to reign in my addiction to that level if its possible. Is it possible to go from being a full-time smoker to just a once and a while smoker or do you have to just quit and never touch one again, least you fall back into the old regular habit?
    I quit several times before I actually quit for good. Each time I started back up it was because I figured a couple casual smokes was something I could handle. Everyone is different when it comes to nicotine addiction, but my advice would be if you want the best possible chance of long term success, go cold turkey.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast