Sketchbook: mrTom Vs The Daily Fail (c+c against this beast v.welcome)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

mrTom Vs The Daily Fail (c+c against this beast v.welcome)

Hi! Like many others i've been lurking around these forums for quite a while, being inspired and learning what i think counts as a fair bit. I like to think i've got an artisitc mind, there's alot going on up there and i've always had a desire to try and put it to media, the dream being to end up in the gaming industry, somewhere between concept artist and 3d modeller. From what I can tell everyone here is beyond talented, so aswell as my own blog thing, I thought this would be a good idea to gather critique, tips and the such like, i'll do my best to keep up and return the favour

The last 3 years have been spent studying at university, on the wrong side of the spectrum, doing things such as programming graphics and all that nonsense, only now i've graduated, have I had the time to get on with what I want, which is to build a porftfolio and improve my skills until i get to a level i can put the images in my head on to paper, to screen and so on, sadly with all that time gone, i feel old and i've not got much prior work to show, so what I have so far, is basically me, starting from scratch, as of August 2010.

First up is a bunch of Digital paintings i guess, as a begginner i'm glad to have something that looks like something down, i've learnt to reduce the use of burn, blur and smooth, a habbit i'm glad to kick early. All are either from photo reference or observation/ still life... next post will be my current attempt at posemaniac hand sketches, something i'm EXTREMELY poor at.

Attached Images Attached Images                    
    Last edited by Mr.Tom; June 21st, 2011 at 07:11 AM. Reason: title change
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suck with poses, so these took roughly 5 minutes each, trying to do some shadow and muscle study at the same time, the pictures below are in chronological order starting with the earliest, this posemaniac thing is gooood. My own critisisms would be that I need to go lighter with the pencil, try and press softer and practice working faster :o overall im happy though, so yaaay.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    few more to the pose pile

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not a bad start Mr.Tom!
    Id say, dont use a pure white background on your digital works, its too over powering and gives no indication of where the light is coming from. So force yourself to do background, even if they're very simple.
    Nice use of blur on that rose though, really brings the flower closer.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nonobot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Starting a sketchbook on here is half the battle. So good job.

I would continue to do figure studies, except limit the amount of time you spend on each one to something between 30 - 45 seconds. That probably sounds like a very small amount of time, but really it's appropriate for capturing a pose and moving on. This will train your eye to recognize proper anatomy and loosen up your drawing hand. Google gesture poses, and you will see what I mean.

As far as your painting goes, it seems that you have somewhat of a foundation already. I completely agree with nonobot about not using pure whites. Add pure blacks to that list as well. Get in there, get messy with your strokes, experiment with different brushes and colors, and let your brain and eye do the work for you. I compare it a lot to looking at clouds. Always have a goal in mind, but don't be afraid to let your hand go a little wild.

I hope this helps. Cheers and good luck.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nickodemus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh dear, long time no update, been at Reading Festival in the UK and travelling Ireland, inspiring stuff, however it wasn't time wasted, i'm always thinking up ideas and jotting them down for a time when i'm ready to put my ideas to the drawing/ photoshop board, hopefully soon, i'm getting restless practicing.

Thanks for the encouragevadvice guys, some good tips there, I think what caused me to go with the blank backgrounds was a lack of confidence, rather than laziness, whether to do a detailed life drawing of the actual background and risk messing up what I had so far, or make something up blah blah..i'll definately give it some thought next digital painting I go for

The speedy pose drawings seem to get me aswell, i'm pretty sure i'm getting the hang of slow drawing these poses, but when i get speedy i just don't like the result, but that's probably to be expected. Will keep looking at others sketchbooks and in hope it inspires my speediness. Until then...

1st - 90sec posemaniacs.
    2/3 - More detailed posemaniacs, using a slightly different style aimed at focusing on accuracy rather than shading, tell me what ya think.
    4/ 5 - Got bored and wanted a bit of a challenge, hands are supposedly and are indeed hard, found a few stock images, i was chuffed with how they turned out, but the first person I showed them too said they were "meh...alright"..buzzkill much. :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    actually no buzzkill i think personally those hands are wicked! You really got their 'essence' ya know? Their shading could be done a bit more 'smoothly' but other than that they look great!

Cute penguin, too and keep up with those anatomy studies!

My SketCheZ

And Check Out These Awesome Artists:

Brahimpag
    ColorExcursion
    Lang Oulk
    hücumkedi
    Ramin

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Abnormally For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heheh thanks man, after pondering on this hole drawing and scanning buisiness i've come to the conclusion that it kinda sucks how my (pretty good) scanner never captures the contrast as well as the real thing, ending up with much lighter/ darker images, might look into scanner settings or summat.

aaanywhoo..

blarrgh, again life seems to be taking priority with moving house and job hunting, but when ever a free couple of hours show themselves, i've made sure they're dove upon and filled with portfolio goodness, here's a few more, gonna try and teach myself some 3d stuffs soon methinks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a quickie to show i've not been lazing about, following along some tutorials and such, here's what happens when I give modelling with Polygons and semi speed painting some photo references, 1 being Frank Zappa, the other a still from Apocolypto, I think starting my environment practice with water and trees may have been a death wish. On the plus side by the time these were done I already felt quite a bit more confident, next bunch should be a sign of progress I hope =O

Sidenote: I'm tempted to give my 3rd game in the Dead Reckoning series ago, (links in my blog) but it feels a waste to play around in Flash when, portfolio wise, more skills such as IPhone or Xbox Live/ PSN type stuff would be a better career move.. something i'll be pondering on =/ plus if any of you lovely arty folk have an opinion on that i'd be glad to hear it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More practice in Maya 2009, this time focusing on NURBs modelling, there's some clear faults where seams may be a bit squiffy or the geometry is messier than the tutorial version, but gawdamn i'm pleased with the progress so far, considering I know bugger all about this modelling stuff, took a long time since i'm trying to absorb all the teachings and skills, but I think it was worth it. Also first attempt at using a...renderer? I hear VRay is good so aquired it and am fiddling, theres a main, back and other light, simply because I hear that's the way to do it, I have no idea what i'm doing and intend on fixing that this week too..does look better than the train though, so booyaaaa.

I've decided too, as practice, go through my first Flash game, Dead Reckoning and make objects similar too/ can be found init, trying to recreate a few scenes, it'd be stupid to think of it as being assests towards a full game project, but should be a learning experiance anywho.

Also want to muck around in photoshop a bit more obviously, just looking for inspiration, probably going to try and do one of these film clip speedpaint studies or somthing along those lines, hope to get alot out of this week =O

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thx for dropping by at my sketchbook .

Good job on the hand studies, some could use a little bit more volume, but you managed to capture the movement and anatomy. Good work.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to gust w. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @cpt. kuDa: You're welcome dude, great stuff ya got over there, thanks for the crit, 'tis true heheh, i'm hoping to be able to convince myself to spend more time on pieces to achieve better volume and/ realism.

Last couple of days i've been reading up on shading and texturing in Maya, nothing to show in 3d-age at the moment, mostly theory work I guess, next will probably be a coloured and properly rendered RedRocket..ooooo.

As welll as reading (be a damn boring update if that was all I had to report eh?) I've been looking at my Digital Masters book, and a few sketchbooks, aswell as the dude who worked on God of Wars concept art...in short, I did some value studies, then tried to speed paint in some colour, it seems I suck at doing both in the same picture.

p.s. can you guess the film? I may have made the screen shot a sheeet load darker (clue).

Last edited by Mr.Tom; October 22nd, 2010 at 05:51 AM. Reason: edit: oh shiiit, she's huuuge, *resized :D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What I generally notice is that when you paint, some of your colors look a bit muddy. I think it might be ebcause you are using black to shade. Don't use black. It really dulls out the colors you are using. I also notie that you tend to draw the eyes and nose a bit to big on peoples faces.

Your hand studies look great so far.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Istmin52 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agreed with what Istmin52 pointed out. I used to shade with black all the time and since I've stopped my work has improved greatly. xD

Also when you paint try not to paint directly onto a white surface, always have some color behind it. That will really help you bring a certain mood and atmosphere to your paintings instead of it just being "a ___ floating in white space".

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Dana_T For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for coming by. Suks that you went to college after you realised what you wanted, it seems like that is happening to everybody. The good news you can be self-taught- not completley though books, tutorials and this site. Good sketchbook. This is my fundamental theory: Drawing forms, forms in correct perspective, anatomy(but not overstressed), and lighting.
    Knowing "what" to do is easy putting it on paper is hard, thats why when I got the vilppu manual I got a stack of copy paper from walmart. Great for practice because you're not so worried about skrewing it up like paper in a sketchbook.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamingofbetterdays For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Istmin52 and Dana_T thanks for the tips peeps, definately somthing i'm trying to take on board, i've noticed myself fiddling more with the varied colours available than thoughs whites and black on the borders, hopefully the next few pieces will help me improve in he anatomy and value/ colour areas.

@Dreamingofbetterdays good to hear i'm not the only one heheh, will look into that manual, thanks for returning the comment.

The next bunch are by no means finished, i've decided to try and vary it up rather than stick to the planned path, i've got a bunch of photo references lined up that vary pretty heavily to test myself in anatomy and architecture and get out of my safe zone.

So the first two, are from some nice photo references, so far i've sketched them out and grey shaded, i'm planning on one drawing a day for a while (hopefully real life will allow this) then to hopefuly get them coloured properly using another day, next step is to value study, then colour, the second piece I decided to shade a little in pencil, so i'm not yet sure how this will affect my photoshopping of it

p.s stll not liking how my scanner deals with pencil drawings
    bupbup.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there!

So far, it looks like you're making a progress especially when you're focusing on anatomy studies. The hands you drew with details show that you're starting to understand more details and how they're structured. Keep it up!

As for digital painting, it seems that the brushes you're using are very soft which lacks the sense of sharpness and outlines in any portrait. So to improve your digital painting, I suggest you to paint a new with the hard-rounded brush from the start to the end. You can use the brush pressure either lightly or hard for softer details and sharp details.

Hope that helps you. Keep it up with the anatomy studies.

- SR-5.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to SR-5 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @SR-5: Thanks for the advice dude, very helpful, i've started worked with a kinda squashed and elongated oval brush and noticed how much it helps keep edges clean, will experiement further with hard brushes in my next piece

Stage two and three, proper value studies then adding colour, i've tried to simplify my painting as it appears the more colour I throw in, the smudgier and dirtier they look, not in a good way, in both cases the second most difficut aspect after the initial drawing, was adding coour, value study was fairy straight fowardard

Overall i'm pretty happy with the first piece, although choosing a hair colour somehow caused frustration as you can see, the second piece turned out a mess, basicay forgot to change layers when adding hair, then couldn't back after making it seem her head was being engulfed...pleased with her arm though..not so much her litte hand, either way, still a good practice and both could have been improved on with more time i'd imagine, but i'm done with them, there's ony so much rendundant fiddling I can do, also, forgot to add background colourage.*sigh*

Back to the drawing board, ahahhhaahha =|

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to your visit my SketchBook (SB) and your comment really helpful and made me happy to see my improvement through other eyes.

nice sb mate I like your style of art study keep practicing to reach the high rank of art

Try to explore more study about anatomy and try to focus more about the details.

your art awsome but keep it up

Good luck and have fun

Qlotzan

29. The Following User Says Thank You to qlotzan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @qlotzan: Thanks very much for your response and words of wisdom hopefully with the more I do some improve starts to show

Since I want to be heading in the media artist direction, I thought i'd give some of the most awesome characters around a shot, also may of treated myself to a little something for inspiration (Limited edition Art Book by the ead artist behind Metal Gear Solid) I really want his style... anyway, I shouldn't be allowed money, but it my defense, every page fills me with arousal.

Might fiddle around with digital painting on these, not sure yet, but next up sketchy wise is some architecture, a sci-lady and some more ladies, gonna head back into 3d ville after that i'd imagine, woop woop!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hiya Mr. Thanks for posting on my SB!!
    Looks like you've got the stubbornness and that's the most important thing!
    I read your comments about working lighter and I agree. Loosen up and let mistakes happen.
    When your doing anatomy studies, don't time yourself. If it takes you 25 minuets to search through books to figure out what this squiggly lump is or what that stringy bit is attached to then do it. The more you understand what your drawing the faster you can put things down.
    I really like Bridgeman books for simplifying anatomy. It clearly shows how things over lap and the shapes of the different muscles.
    I agree with the grey background for digital paintings as well. Everything looks darker on white.

Keep on keeping on!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Rhubix: Hey dude, thanks for the feedback, I agree with the taking your time bit, i'm definately more of a fan of studying each bit of the image and slowly bringing it together whilst learning, interesting how peoples opinions vary so much. Think I might give this Bridgeman stuff ago soon too.

As I said in the previous post I was going to mess around with some perspective practice, to be honest this stuff isn't inspiring since I pretty much had to to religiousy work on these kind of things for my Dead Reckoning games and forcing yourself to practice in things your confident at never results in amazing stuff, add to the mix these were quick studies and for some reason my scanner has a vendetta going against my pencils, i'm keeping these online however as the real pictures are quite nice looking, I've just had to butcher the pieces in Photoshop to get anything to show. Bah.

Away for a week now, so hopefully some time for 3d stuff, recently watched a coupe of lectures from the Gnomon Workshop, who if ya didn't know are basically the pros at al the things i'm interested in and are based in Hollywood. All inspiring stuff, also got a fooktonne of videos from another company which should be damn good, maybe even come back with somthing to show through these learnings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I enjoy the oddworld character you drew and your perspective studies are really helpful to my retarded brain. Keep posting.

"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasum." Cliff Blezenski

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So after working hard enough to gain a free hour or two, I've finally got around to updating over here, this months been all about the job getting and has been pretty successful, living in a pretty pre-technological area in Wales means jobs in the stuff i'm interested in are few and far between, but i'm here for another year and believe I now am in the best of a bad situation arena. Working 3-4 days a week in retail with some good people to get me some experience, whilst working Freelance for whoever wants me, more details to follow on that, it's all goooood.

First up below is a few renders using VRay of a Maya model I put together roughly mid November, took about 2 hours, mainly just fiddling and experimenting, during which I discovered the reverse binary tool and concreted my knowledge of the cv curve tool..which are both damn useful. Any who, it's not quite finished, but i'm happy with it and am more likely to move on that finish it at this point. 3D wise, if I can learn to texture things by the end of Febuary, i'll be smug as a pug. Should have time to progress and make some more complex thingamies too.

Next is a quick drawing semi, from photo reference trying to put an idea to paper, but again, not finished and the background sizing is all off..may photoshop it in the future if time permits..but we'll see.

Lastly is a screengrab from the Freelance project i've been working on since mid November, "Login with Pal & Reg", an interactive, antimated, ebook style flash program, the idea is this will be run in schools based in CA, America and shown on one of those fancy, giant interactive white boards, the interface is all touch sensitive so questions will be answered by kids running up to the board, pressing/dragging & dropping etc. It's directed at kids with learning difficulties and will also be available online, will add a link to the host page once it is complete. I'm currently working on pages 2 and 3 of 9 and will be (in theory) until the end of the book, scheduled for the end of December...so yeah..I do have valid reasons for seemingly random dissapearances.

I should probably add that the artwork on the freelance project belongs to the owner, while I recreate and add poses, expressions and anything else that is needed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

deerrp

Biiig arty update, so excuses first, I've been working, second, without the internet.. making for a lousy period without updates, so here we go, roughly in chronological order.

I've been arting a Lemmings clone for Mobile1UP, I don't particularly want to get accused of advertising, but it seems wrong not to put it in my sketchbook, so here are some pictures, it's called Caveman and can be found on iPhone, Pad, Pod Touch, Palm phones and soon blackberry Playbook i think it's called.

-coming in a couple o minutes-
    Last photoshop batch are loosely connected to a story i'm working on, a kind of Bladerunner/ GTA/ bit of everything idea, i've got a story, just want to practice my skills before doing anything with it.

Current plan is to focus on one of my 3 projects and jump between them a week at a time, hoping to get somewhere with my horror game in Maya, Cutesy game in Flash/ Illustrator and Future game in Photoshop, obviously this is all conceptual, but it's nice to want things and have a game plan :p

...it's been a while, how're things going people of the internets?

(going to edit and add more pics in a mo', laptops going to a'splode)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mmm I think i'm hitting a filesize cap or bandwidth something, attachment thing keeps crashing...continued from above, some environments i'm happy with, a character i'm not, and a character i am.

Last edited by Mr.Tom; June 12th, 2011 at 09:24 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last post for now, had to upload from imageshack, to summarize, this week I think i've got a little better with value studies, working from grey and overlay colour works a treat, i've learn the clipping tool also, on the downside i've learn I may have an obsession with overlaying textures and lighting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tried throwing together a speedy thing, i suck at adding detail it seems :/ definately feeling inspired to get better this summer after browsing around on here, sadly almost everything puts my stuff to shame, good thing i'm persistent

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    2/3 hours, more concept art from imagination, like i mentioned, these are from a story I have in mind, thought rather than write a tonne of notes, having these is way more fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1/2 hours.. hmm, i think i'm going to do some studying, feel like i'm failing pretty hard in most departments here, baaah

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.