Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: mrTom Vs The Daily Fail (c+c against this beast v.welcome)

Thanks

mrTom Vs The Daily Fail (c+c against this beast v.welcome)

Hi! Like many others i've been lurking around these forums for quite a while, being inspired and learning what i think counts as a fair bit. I like to think i've got an artisitc mind, there's alot going on up there and i've always had a desire to try and put it to media, the dream being to end up in the gaming industry, somewhere between concept artist and 3d modeller. From what I can tell everyone here is beyond talented, so aswell as my own blog thing, I thought this would be a good idea to gather critique, tips and the such like, i'll do my best to keep up and return the favour

The last 3 years have been spent studying at university, on the wrong side of the spectrum, doing things such as programming graphics and all that nonsense, only now i've graduated, have I had the time to get on with what I want, which is to build a porftfolio and improve my skills until i get to a level i can put the images in my head on to paper, to screen and so on, sadly with all that time gone, i feel old and i've not got much prior work to show, so what I have so far, is basically me, starting from scratch, as of August 2010.

First up is a bunch of Digital paintings i guess, as a begginner i'm glad to have something that looks like something down, i've learnt to reduce the use of burn, blur and smooth, a habbit i'm glad to kick early. All are either from photo reference or observation/ still life... next post will be my current attempt at posemaniac hand sketches, something i'm EXTREMELY poor at.
    Last edited by Mr.Tom; June 21st, 2011 at 07:11 AM. Reason: title change
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I suck with poses, so these took roughly 5 minutes each, trying to do some shadow and muscle study at the same time, the pictures below are in chronological order starting with the earliest, this posemaniac thing is gooood. My own critisisms would be that I need to go lighter with the pencil, try and press softer and practice working faster :o overall im happy though, so yaaay.

Thanks
    few more to the pose pile

Thanks
    Not a bad start Mr.Tom!
    Id say, dont use a pure white background on your digital works, its too over powering and gives no indication of where the light is coming from. So force yourself to do background, even if they're very simple.
    Nice use of blur on that rose though, really brings the flower closer.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nonobot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Starting a sketchbook on here is half the battle. So good job.

I would continue to do figure studies, except limit the amount of time you spend on each one to something between 30 - 45 seconds. That probably sounds like a very small amount of time, but really it's appropriate for capturing a pose and moving on. This will train your eye to recognize proper anatomy and loosen up your drawing hand. Google gesture poses, and you will see what I mean.

As far as your painting goes, it seems that you have somewhat of a foundation already. I completely agree with nonobot about not using pure whites. Add pure blacks to that list as well. Get in there, get messy with your strokes, experiment with different brushes and colors, and let your brain and eye do the work for you. I compare it a lot to looking at clouds. Always have a goal in mind, but don't be afraid to let your hand go a little wild.

I hope this helps. Cheers and good luck.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nickodemus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh dear, long time no update, been at Reading Festival in the UK and travelling Ireland, inspiring stuff, however it wasn't time wasted, i'm always thinking up ideas and jotting them down for a time when i'm ready to put my ideas to the drawing/ photoshop board, hopefully soon, i'm getting restless practicing.

Thanks for the encouragevadvice guys, some good tips there, I think what caused me to go with the blank backgrounds was a lack of confidence, rather than laziness, whether to do a detailed life drawing of the actual background and risk messing up what I had so far, or make something up blah blah..i'll definately give it some thought next digital painting I go for

The speedy pose drawings seem to get me aswell, i'm pretty sure i'm getting the hang of slow drawing these poses, but when i get speedy i just don't like the result, but that's probably to be expected. Will keep looking at others sketchbooks and in hope it inspires my speediness. Until then...

1st - 90sec posemaniacs.
    2/3 - More detailed posemaniacs, using a slightly different style aimed at focusing on accuracy rather than shading, tell me what ya think.
    4/ 5 - Got bored and wanted a bit of a challenge, hands are supposedly and are indeed hard, found a few stock images, i was chuffed with how they turned out, but the first person I showed them too said they were "meh...alright"..buzzkill much. :p

Thanks
    actually no buzzkill i think personally those hands are wicked! You really got their 'essence' ya know? Their shading could be done a bit more 'smoothly' but other than that they look great!

Cute penguin, too and keep up with those anatomy studies!
    My SketCheZ

And Check Out These Awesome Artists:

Brahimpag
    ColorExcursion
    Lang Oulk
    hücumkedi
    Ramin

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Abnormally For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Heheh thanks man, after pondering on this hole drawing and scanning buisiness i've come to the conclusion that it kinda sucks how my (pretty good) scanner never captures the contrast as well as the real thing, ending up with much lighter/ darker images, might look into scanner settings or summat.

aaanywhoo..

blarrgh, again life seems to be taking priority with moving house and job hunting, but when ever a free couple of hours show themselves, i've made sure they're dove upon and filled with portfolio goodness, here's a few more, gonna try and teach myself some 3d stuffs soon methinks.

Thanks
    Just a quickie to show i've not been lazing about, following along some tutorials and such, here's what happens when I give modelling with Polygons and semi speed painting some photo references, 1 being Frank Zappa, the other a still from Apocolypto, I think starting my environment practice with water and trees may have been a death wish. On the plus side by the time these were done I already felt quite a bit more confident, next bunch should be a sign of progress I hope =O

Sidenote: I'm tempted to give my 3rd game in the Dead Reckoning series ago, (links in my blog) but it feels a waste to play around in Flash when, portfolio wise, more skills such as IPhone or Xbox Live/ PSN type stuff would be a better career move.. something i'll be pondering on =/ plus if any of you lovely arty folk have an opinion on that i'd be glad to hear it

Thanks
    More practice in Maya 2009, this time focusing on NURBs modelling, there's some clear faults where seams may be a bit squiffy or the geometry is messier than the tutorial version, but gawdamn i'm pleased with the progress so far, considering I know bugger all about this modelling stuff, took a long time since i'm trying to absorb all the teachings and skills, but I think it was worth it. Also first attempt at using a...renderer? I hear VRay is good so aquired it and am fiddling, theres a main, back and other light, simply because I hear that's the way to do it, I have no idea what i'm doing and intend on fixing that this week too..does look better than the train though, so booyaaaa.

I've decided too, as practice, go through my first Flash game, Dead Reckoning and make objects similar too/ can be found init, trying to recreate a few scenes, it'd be stupid to think of it as being assests towards a full game project, but should be a learning experiance anywho.

Also want to muck around in photoshop a bit more obviously, just looking for inspiration, probably going to try and do one of these film clip speedpaint studies or somthing along those lines, hope to get alot out of this week =O

Thanks
    Thx for dropping by at my sketchbook .

Good job on the hand studies, some could use a little bit more volume, but you managed to capture the movement and anatomy. Good work.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to gust w. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @cpt. kuDa: You're welcome dude, great stuff ya got over there, thanks for the crit, 'tis true heheh, i'm hoping to be able to convince myself to spend more time on pieces to achieve better volume and/ realism.

Last couple of days i've been reading up on shading and texturing in Maya, nothing to show in 3d-age at the moment, mostly theory work I guess, next will probably be a coloured and properly rendered RedRocket..ooooo.

As welll as reading (be a damn boring update if that was all I had to report eh?) I've been looking at my Digital Masters book, and a few sketchbooks, aswell as the dude who worked on God of Wars concept art...in short, I did some value studies, then tried to speed paint in some colour, it seems I suck at doing both in the same picture.

p.s. can you guess the film? I may have made the screen shot a sheeet load darker (clue).
    Last edited by Mr.Tom; October 22nd, 2010 at 05:51 AM. Reason: edit: oh shiiit, she's huuuge, *resized :D

Thanks
    What I generally notice is that when you paint, some of your colors look a bit muddy. I think it might be ebcause you are using black to shade. Don't use black. It really dulls out the colors you are using. I also notie that you tend to draw the eyes and nose a bit to big on peoples faces.

Your hand studies look great so far.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Istmin52 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast