Thanks

Good art classes near Washington DC (USA)??

Hi guys, I know this is going to seem long so bare with me because the following information is relevant to the topic subject...

Let me first say that I fell in lust with this forum a few months ago when I started working full time and had lots of free time with a T1 line Couldnt stop clicking through the vastness of information and inspiration in these forums....

Back in high school I drew a lot and was pretty good, so I decided art was the way to go for me. But for some reason, instead of going to art school, I decided to go to an engineering school (Virginia Tech) and get a degree in Computer Science. I think this decision was loosely based on the fact that when I went to Disney world and visited their animation studios, they said they only hired people with CS degrees for 3D work...

Well, after I graduated in 2002 I couldnt find any jobs with animation studios. Really crappy economy made these jobs way too competitive. So I started working for programming firms and stuff. I spent almost a year programming and decided I hated it so now I'm working for the US Government reviewing patent applications.

While here at the US Patent Ofice I contemplated going to Law school to get a law degree and be a patent lawyer (big bucks!). I even applied and recently got accepted into one of the top law schools in the nation. But you know what? For the few months i've been frequenting this site, I've been inspired more and more to trying to get back into pursuing art as a career.

But before I decide to dump law school I thought I'd take a few art classes and see what a real career in the art field entails. For a summer back in high school I was "trained" by a professional comic book artist (Pop Mhan) and just from the few weeks I spent under his instruction my abilities grew tenfold, so I know how important good education is...

So, I'd like to know if any of you guys know if there are good art schools in the Washington DC area? I know there's the Art Institute of Washington, but is that any good? I'm mainly interested in getting into the movie/entertainment industry (character/set/concept design/3D animation)...

Also, what do you guys think of my situation? I'm 23 - do you professionals out there think its too late for me to get into the industry? I see peoply my age on these forums who have already been working for a few years, and I know I'd have to get some formal training before I got hired anywhere. I'm worried I'll be about 4 years behind the typical new hire who is fresh out of college and so wont be making any money till I'm about 26 or 27... any tips or advice?

Thanks for reading, people!

-Max

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey, guys, I've actually been using this user name (Dahsramu) so please respond to this username... I guess cookies were enabled from when I last posted from work so my post was posted under the unused "maximusPrime" screenname...

sorry bout that!!

Thanks
    theres the torpedo factory in alexandria, oldtown.

www.torpedofactory.org

It's a cool place to just visit, even if you don't take a class; since it's primarily a studio space for like 350 artists. Classes come second.

That said, I've taken classes with several different institutions and actually the most intense and helpful have been the torpedo factory's.

Don't expect any credits or anything though, it's a strictly build-your-skills environment. Not too pricey for what you get either; great for refreshers or getting yourself acquainted with a medium/technique.