Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation Another Facebook app stealing artwork..?

So, I was on DA and I came across this thread in the section about ripping artwork on their forums for a game on Facebook.. (Again? When will these people learn?) Normally I wouldn't bother reposting this here, but the guy who is ripping the work is really being a sleeze and has taken a TON of work from various artists and I thought people should check this out and see if they recognize pieces so that all the artists could be notified and be aware of what's going on. (If you go through a page or two into the thread there are quite a few screen caps of pages/galleries from the game. Facebook suspended the app today so you can't check it out in and of itself anymore.)

.. Some of his excuses for using the work are absolutely ridiculous. One artist sent him messages asking him to remove the artwork and he responded:

"i animated them. my self. under the law that makes me part copyright holder of said work. i have permission. for all . and if u havea problem with my work. what was the pictures called. i kinda have to know. because i have over 30 apps. not just one. i have artist from anne stokes to derek emmons who i have permission to use there work. oh the law says i have to add ur copyright to the pic IF ITS urs?"

(Clearly he doesn't have permission for all the artwork, as stated, because he clearly never asked the artist(s) who started/responded the thread to warn others. Makes me question the rest of the artwork he claims to have permission for. Especially since claims to have over 30 apps.. Kind of unsettling. If he's stealing for one, he's probably stolen for others..) Apparently he's really giving people the run around and is now threatening to take his app (and all the artwork) and simply host it on another site so that he can't be banned on a site like Facebook. (Which is what FB will usually do in matters such as these.) He's also offering up the artworks as screen saver packs, too. I don't know if he's charging anything, but it's still kind of obnoxious.

Anyway, I thought I should just pass this along in case anyone recognizes any work and could pass the word along so people would be aware.

*EDIT - He's got a DA account, too. His name is apparently Christopher Stokes. (If that rings any bells with anyone?)

Also, here's a quick link to a few pages of screen caps. (They were compiled into a gallery by one of the artists for easier viewing.) And here's the link to the facebook app page (which links to his other creations, too) for you to check out, if you're curious. (If you follow the links to his personal facebook page, it's got links to his Twitter, his personal website, his location, etc.) He's also got a page that is basically a 'creator page' on Facebook too and that can be found here. (Has his phone number listed on it and links to various apps he's done. I find it funny that he brands himself as such: "Making the Best Facebook applications. Making the apps the others will not." Well, duh, because the content is stolen and they know better than to do that, dope!)

* EDIT 2 - I'd be curious to know about derivative works and how copyright works with those too for something like this (because I know it's such a gray area I'd love to get thoughts on pieces like these - they're sort of like re-creations of the originals, but not necessarily the originals.. though, clearly inspired by).

Acidlullaby's (Wen-Xi Chen) original piece: here
    The piece from the game: here

And here's a piece by Blackeri that he just added some rain to. (Not a derivative, but a piece I recognized as soon as I saw it.)
    Original: here
    Altered: here

** EDIT: Work by Jason Chan now found --> here and here

(Even had the nerve to put HIS name on one of them above Chan's! XD)
    Last edited by Riley Stark; August 21st, 2010 at 02:14 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    I think it's funny how he is happy to post his name on "his artwork" and remove the original artists' initials or signature.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 277 Posts
    Another Christopher? Is this a trend?

I also like how he's screaming CYBERBULLY!!!!1 on his facebook page.

Thanks
    Seriously. This guy is something else. >.>

Thanks
    Now he's trying to shift the blame onto the places where the apps are hosted/made? At least it seems he's been sort of shut down to some degree.

OP: "To be honest, it has been exhausting. But I will keep at it because it is not just mine...but it was hundreds of works he has taken and laid claim too. hundred of pictures, artists on top of artists that he has made money off of...and didnt at the VERY LEAST give them credit much less part of the money..."

Christoper: "well i was mad ok . and so were u. u cost me my apps. and it broke my heart i hope ur happy. i dunno why u did what u did but karmas a bad thing and i am not gunna be mean with u or fight i told u i didnt wanna i wanted to fix this. i didnt know they were anyones art if u checked my fb wall u see they were sent to me. to be animated cause thats what i do. i work w alota artsits. i could have worked with you. i didnt see ur art on my apps. but what i did see were very nice and they all wood have been nice on my apps. but they are gone now. and i dunno what i am gunna do. this could have been good for us all if we worked togther. i dunno why u didnt . i am sorry ok. my lifes hell as it is. trust me i dont need any extra. as for those apps u took away they were my love and it broke my heart to lose them. ok i hope that makes u smile in ur heart. say what ever u wanna but appbank is the one who pushes others to get art off google. and here go read more on there app. and see what i do and u should also check the big apps those guys make alot off ur work. go check into appbank a lil deeper u will see ur art on all of there top 20 designers. i looked my self yesterday and seen many that were takin from my app and anne stokes and the artist i do work with work is on there apps with out there concent anne stokes gave me premission to use her work ask her and derek emmon and heather, jarek kubki. ok i didnt rip anyone off. of if i ve know they were others works i woodnt have used them or asked to do so. over 30 artist gave my blessings to use there art and loved what i did with it. ok. i dunno what more to say . u can stop ur lil wineing and bitching my apps are down. u hope u all sell alota art and have a life u deserve so u can stop harhassing me. on my fb acconts ok. leave me the F alone. i love for u to say what u said to my face. ur a coward. and a mean person. and sooner or later someone WILL put u in ur place. good day and have a great life and sell alota art ..now go find some one else t o harass, better yet go check the top 20 appbank artists and c 4 ur self."

Anyone know anything about this Appbank thing? I've never even heard of it before..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 604 Posts
    Does he speak English?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Impossible View Post
    Does he speak English?
    No, but he seems to be fluent in lolspeak - a curious language known to cause brain-aches in anyone who can read. Severe exposure will can lead to dementia in your later years, and cause damage comparable to LSD or severe alcohol poisoning.
    Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    There should be a law. One lash for every "u" in place of a "you".

On another note.

Dark @ Heart yes i am so sick of these kinda people. who knows where or why they come but they do ..
    Guess that makes you guys [intrinsik] ninjas then huh?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cleverdart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleverdart View Post
    There should be a law. One lash for every "u" in place of a "you".
    Amen to that!

Thanks
    Sometimes I wonder if they type like that to make themselves purposely look stupider so people can "feel sorry" for them or make them think "oh they're just a kid".

I can understand typing like that if you're just shooting a text message off a regular cell phone, but smartphones have full keyboards now. If you want to type a long meaningful message, either 1. use the damn keyboard on the phone or 2. don't type a "meaningful" message on a smart phone and wait till you get to an actual PC.

Thanks
    I found this amusing -- apparently they're posting now that this guy already has a history of 'stealing' and being caught. (Fourth picture/story down - he denies everything there, too, even though he's caught red handed. XD)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 604 Posts
    His two brothers were caught a while back

Another Facebook app stealing artwork..?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,794 Times in 1,166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Impossible View Post
    His two brothers were caught a while back

I suspect inbreeding...
    "I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD M View Post
    I suspect inbreeding...
    ..It sure would explain a lot.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    ...?...ahem... Those are his sisters...
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ohmygod. This guy needs a kick in the head. Now he's telling all his 'followers' that the only reason his apps were taken down was because he doesn't want to work through appbank anymore because they're making more money off his work than he is.

"appbanthe people i use for my apps are ripping me off. for every dollor i make they get 39 so i got rid of them. stay tuned the apps will all be back up in a few days sorry about this."

(So, he has a problem with people making money off his work.. but not when the situation is the other way around? Brilliant.)

*EDIT - He's now threatening to sue appbank for taking his apps down on ANOTHER page.

"the coward at appbank arron took my apps down. due to the fact they were taking 39 dollors for every one dollor i made appbank is a rip off and it only has one person working for them. and thats arron. there is no company just arron . i am taking them to court and i want appbank down. cowards"

"if u have got ur art off google ur app to will be down. our apps are all being set up on a new server with people who pay me more then half. way more then the dollor a day appbank gave me. while they take 39 dollors of the 40 make in hits. so i had to get rid of appbank and arrons bullsh1t. by the way there is no appbank its only arron chan he is the only one who works for appbank the fake company . they wont pay me what they o me so i told him to togo hell and remove all my art off his servers."

So, which is it, buddy? Did YOU pull the apps down because they were ripping you off (as claimed on one page) or did THEY pull the apps down because you were ripping OTHER people off?
    ... I'm going to guess and go with the latter?

**EDIT - Chris:"are u 100% sure ur arts on all those? i know thats a lie . u people are really nice humans. karmas a bitch. i am sorry u r not selling ur art. if u worked with me u wood have. i read all these childish posts. the one who posted this crap about me seems to have me blocked she doesnt want me to defend my self. real nice . now i have nothing to lose. now so do ur best. u will get this all back a 10 fold."

Different Poster: "You talk a lot about karma, but did you stop and think that maybe the fact that your apps have been suspended was karma? Pretty sure this would fit the definition of karma."

Chris: "no it was due to winey lil fake people who have no friends or fans and do not sell any art. so they take it out on others. w e. stick that where ever u like sticking things. but like i said. i am NOT going anywhere. nor are my apps. next time they best have a good lawyer. cause i do. and i was well in legal limits. U WERE NOT U HAVE NO WATERMARKS OR IS ANY OF IT COPYRIGHTED> just mad i did with art U CAN NOT. and i will be back and bigger then ever. have a great life u f ing losers and leave me the hell alone. GOTIT!! NOW ALL OF U WHO DONT LIKE ME GO F UR SELFS."

This guy has got some set of balls.. It's sad to the point where it's almost gotten funny.

Last edited by Riley Stark; August 19th, 2010 at 02:34 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by intrinsik View Post
    This guy has got some set of balls.
    I call bullshit.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,794 Times in 1,166 Posts
    He doesn't have balls, he's just trying to avoid being seen as the jackass he really is by creating an diversion for his "app-fans".
    "I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    To add to the lulz -

"ill make my own i dont need any of ur crappy art work . as u see i am an artist my self. and do not need ur lil chidish bs."

His artwork:

Here.
    Here.
    Here.
    Here.

It looks like a crazy kid drew these. This guy 40 years old.

.. At least I understand why he used other people's artwork now. XD

And, that all being said, I'm done checking this guy out. Surely, he can't get any more ridiculous.. (Then again, this is the internet..)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if they type like that to make themselves purposely look stupider so people can "feel sorry" for them or make them think "oh they're just a kid".
    No. It's not that they're trying to look like fucking morons. It's that they're FUCKING MORONS.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

25. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reading all that guy's text made my editorial brains explode.

Thanks
    He's now saying that all his apps will definitely be back up after midnight tonight on a different host.

He's bragging how everyone tried to stop him/shut him down and weren't able to.

"i am very hard to stop. they al;l tryed. and failed. i ant going anywhere., stay along for the ride and see where it takes us "

>.<

Thanks
    This thread has gotten hilarious.

.. Dig the ditch further, buddy.

>.<

Thanks
    I can't even bring myself to type something on the facebook page.
    Some people are just kings of their own imaginary low sighted hierarchy.
    He will be his own undoing given 'nuff time.
    Last edited by Cleverdart; August 19th, 2010 at 11:30 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    We need to get the cyber police on this, he dun goofed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rainville View Post
    Something needs to be done about this guy. Clearly he doesn't learn his lesson and just can't see that he's wrong, so he's going to keep doing what he's doing.

(I can't believe he already put the apps up again after being banned twice for them. Can't take a hint much?)

I feel bad for the poor artists who have to deal with this guy because he took their work. What a nightmare..

*EDIT - Apparently the Dark @ Heart app is back up on FB, but you have to actually play it to unlock gifts to see the graphics he's using now. (Sneaky.. And, of course, by having to play the app, he's getting paid for you playing.. So, if you want to see if there's any of your artwork still being used, you have to basically pay him to do so. XD)
    Last edited by Riley Stark; August 19th, 2010 at 11:37 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    Obviously I don't think there is a chain of custody when it comes to Facebook apps. With a normal video game they can't steal work because they're too big and there is plenty of people to take legal action against. Nobody is monitoring what app uses what artwork. I really don't think it's possible to do so. Facebook won't take responsibility for them so artists have to take responsibility ourselves.

We need to make sure every young artist, at least on this site, understands how important it is to tie their work to their name. It's critical to form a very clear line of ownership from the artist to the site where it was originally posted. Not that I'm blaming victims but posting one's work online without regard to these situations isn't helping any.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

33. The Following User Says Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rainville View Post
    Consequences will never be the same!

I missed something in the last few hours where I actually decided to pry myself away and paint. Did he block me along with his other critics or is his account gone?

Thanks
    He blocked you, I can still see his account.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast