Another Facebook app stealing artwork..? - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Another Facebook app stealing artwork..?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is part of the reason why I'm still glad I'm a noob- at least with my mediocre work, it wont be stolen. But you make a good point- with the internet allowing lurkers to just go around CA and steal weeks or months worth of hard work even TELLING THE ARTIST, much less acknowledging them, I personally don't put my faith in showing the world any decent work I may produce. I'd love CA to be a safehaven where artists can show their work without being worried that it might be stolen (though I may take one or two to put as my wallpaper- SUCH INSPIRATION), though this can't happen realistically.

The only way to make sure that our work won't be stolen is to stop those that are doing so permanently. (I mean legal action, not sending a hitman)

Where your once steely reserve is now merely tinned,
    You'll find it all in Morrowind

SUPERCALIFRAGILISTIC-EXPIALIDOSKETCH
    | LYNO | GRAFGUY | NANOBLACK | SUBLIMUS |
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did some one call a cyber cop? ok this guy is so lame and his post so bad he make me look like English teacher..and I know I am bad at grammar. Ok Now down to the cyber police work.. Being artist and a Computer tech of over 35 years. I know more than the normal user and this is how to catch this thief. It's like shooting ducks in a barrel .. If you know anything about computer and how they work it's that Nothing on a server that is fully erased when you delete it from your account .. yes its gone for you but not the people who run the server.. Also when you click and save a picture you leave a trace of that download and also the fact you were in the personnel picture gallery as well is part of the servers logs.. So this guy can say all he want he didn't steal the work but all it take is for the admins to look at what files he has upload and deleted and what he has downloaded from what gallery.. Now if FB and DA plus Appbank has a real Admins that have more then 3 years of computers and didn't get their degree from a web site in computer for $30 this would take like 24 hours to paint this guy Blue and dump him in a shark tank. And if they said they can't recover the art work he deleted or tack it .. they are lying trust me recovering files is like a 101 in admin work.. Logs are like #1 thing you keep track of on any server and all account can be tracked on a server. Well a real server ..can't tell if DA counts as one... It people like this guy who make hard to post our art work or even want to post art work .. most of the Demon heavy metal art work he said is his still looks like it was taking off a bad heavy Metal cd clip art site.. No one would claim them... I wonder how he would act if some said they could recover all the stuff he deleted and what he has downloaded and uploaded? he most likely say" U cant do ta no bodi can.." ya right dude ...one of my systems is recovering a 500gb drive as I type 400 plus gb of music and picture one of my friends just lost I am getting back right now.. This guy is like so busted..

..but please why hasn't some not just pulled the plug on his email and ISP account ? I mean his posted are like nails on a chalkboard, Please I know I am bad but at lease I know to try to fix what I type and I know what spell check is and how to use it..

This guy needs to spend some time in wet room with a car battery connected to his nuts ..it might jump start his brain... but again maybe he is doing just that and is enjoying the feeling too much to stop?...I am not one for abortions but I wonder if it too late for his mom to have one for him?
    He acts like he paint rooms with lead paint and licks the brush to keep the paint wet .... Ok I'll stop I know that was mean.. sorry forgive me...But this guy need to beaten with a IBM model keyboard from a AS200 they were made of metal...very heavy ... maybe he could get a picture of some kind he could understand?

CC

Last edited by CCorsair; August 20th, 2010 at 06:58 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    He has some classy responses on his spacebook.
    Christopher Stokes hmm i see the problem i viewed all of there profiles and not one of them have many friends at all. not even 100. so i see why they have nothing better to do with there time and why they have no fans at all . i understand now.
    is that a melon ur ur hand? lol OK whatever look at u. lol .. what a loser

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *Sits down and pulls out a bag of popcorn*

I'm here for the fireworks.

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by CCorsair View Post
    Did some one call a cyber cop?
    I think the girl who started all this has called the police in his area and was working with them. I know she also is in direct contact with the FB admins, the DA admins, and the Appbank guys, but it's amazing me that he's already got his apps back up and no one's done anything about it. They were pretty much down less than a day and now they're back? There's no way he had time to 'fix' everything in such a short amount of time (and write all his beautiful responses to people who had taken issue with him).

It's just not right. Especially given his attitude. The guy needs to be taken down a few pegs..

*EDIT - From what I'm reading, he's basically told the girl that he's going to use continue to use whatever artwork he wants in his games (the apps he just put back up again - stolen or otherwise) and there's not much anyone can do about it. Apparently, he's now hosting the apps through fortunecity, which makes it more difficult for FB to ban the apps (because they're not hosting them) so she's trying to contact them now to shut him down.

.. This guy is just.. ridiculous.

Last edited by Riley Stark; August 20th, 2010 at 01:11 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You know, posting one's personal info online is a bad idea. I mean if a site like ebaum's world got a hold of it and cracked his accounts, that would be just awful.

Hopefully that won't happen. I'm sure no one here would aid cyber terrorists.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckWeisel View Post
    You know, posting one's personal info online is a bad idea. I mean if a site like ebaum's world got a hold of it and cracked his accounts, that would be just awful.

Hopefully that won't happen. I'm sure no one here would aid cyber terrorists.
    It's a pity it's so hard to motivate those kind of people into doing anything though ;P

You've got to love the way the guy keeps posting the same 2 copy/pasted responses over and over....and spewing about karma. Well, if he wants to talk about karma, he's got a load of it coming his way....

Somehow I highly doubt he is Ann Stokes' brother as he claims....especially since he's from Illinois, and Ann Stokes is from the UK. (OMG, I have the same last name, nobody will ever know!!)

Critters! Dinosaurs! Lovecraftian horrors! ~~~~~> My creature sculpting thread!
    The Savage Goldfish Blog

"I started to see human beings as little lonesome, water-based pink meat, life forms pushing air through themselves and making noises that the other little pieces of meat seemed to understand."
    -Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He's ripped some artwork from Jason Chan, apparently. (At least that piece he didn't photoshop over the sig in one of them, but I love how he puts his own name above Chan's, like he had something to do with the graphic..)

Here

Here (You can still see the sig in the lower right, underneath Stoke's name.. AND the copyright/watermark in the lower left! XD)

Anyone friends with Jason and want to notify him? I've sent him an email through his site, but I don't know how frequently he checks his mail. If anyone is friends with him and wants to give him a call to make sure, that'd be awesome.

(I've also got screen caps of these in case Stokes gets wind and decides to try to delete them.)

Last edited by Riley Stark; August 21st, 2010 at 02:17 PM.

Jason Manley is offline Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,575 Times in 2,184 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I left him a couple comments and forwarded the images to White Wolf's bigwig who I am sure will deal with him.

Do not be harassing the guy k? I left him a notice so people would at least see that it is not his work and White Wolf will want to handle it their way. That is about all we can do as it is not MB work, nor is any of the Vampire artwork owned by the artists who created it.

Good catch though. Thanks. Dealing with such things takes a lot of time and resources. No doubt we are going to all have to keep an eye out for each other as the years go on. Gotta love the internet.

Jason

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops 25% off registration right now!

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by intrinsik View Post
    Here (You can still see the sig in the lower right, underneath Stoke's name.. AND the copyright/watermark in the lower left! XD)
    Ha, I see Manley's on the case!
    Hello. My name is Jason Manley and I am an owner of www.massiveblack.com the company where this very talented artist is employed. This image is owned by White Wolf, a long time client of mine and also a client of Jason Chan's. I have forwarded this along to them as you are not authorized to be using. You have signed your name to artwork you did not create and that is clearly a violation of copyright. I have no doubt that the good people at White Wolf will be giving you a shout.
    This one is a Michael Whelan, BTW.

(EDIT: Curses, crossposted again!)

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    I left him a couple comments and forwarded the images to White Wolf's bigwig who I am sure will deal with him.

Do not be harassing the guy k? I left him a notice so people would at least see that it is not his work and White Wolf will want to handle it their way. That is about all we can do as it is not MB work, nor is any of the Vampire artwork owned by the artists who created it.

Good catch though. Thanks. Dealing with such things takes a lot of time and resources. No doubt we are going to all have to keep an eye out for each other as the years go on. Gotta love the internet.

Jason
    Thanks, Jason. No one has really talked to him since the other night on Facebook so far as I know. I think everyone has been kind of playing their cards close to their chests since then and prepping things on their respective ends.

Good to know people higher up are on this, though. It's also nice to see so many artists supporting one another (affected directly or not) when dealing with situations like these.

Makes me proud to be a part of a community like this.

Last edited by Riley Stark; August 21st, 2010 at 04:10 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, continuing on - I need some help identifying some pieces.. There's a whole gallery where he uploaded artwork from one of his apps (Angel @ Heart) for players to download/redistribute and some of the artwork in the gallery is quite good (and some of it looks familiar, but I can't place it, but I thought people on here might just know the artists/pieces). I thought I'd throw this up here so people could take a peek through and see if they recognized some of the pieces and had a name to go with them.

I've got a screen cap from the app linking to this page that says:

"I uploaded some Angels used in this Application to my Picasa site for all of you to view and use as you like my lil gift to you. i will post some in the photo albums also"

And, underneath the link, it says this:

"ANGEL@HEART
    picasaweb.google.com
    Photos by Christopher Stokes, Apr 10, 2006 - ARTWORK USED IN THE FACEBOOK APPLICATION ANGEL@HEART"

So, he's claiming ownership of all of them and, on all the photos of the album, he's got his name/watermark. (Sometimes even right over the original artists signature so you can't read the names.)

I'm asking for help because I've used up my TinEye searches for the day and can't reverse engineer the situation anymore. I was hoping to get some names before this page disappeared. (As did the Gothic @ Heart album that Jason commented on yesterday - it disappeared last night.) I've got the whole gallery screencapped, just in case, but it'd be nice to work with the page itself instead of having to sort through screen caps.

The page is here.

*EDIT - If you click on his name at the top, it takes you to his main gallery where he's got several more folders of artwork. If you have a chance to peek through those too and you recognize anything, let me know.

Last edited by Riley Stark; August 22nd, 2010 at 01:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs down

I found this one...here from his gallery

http://picasaweb.google.com/CHRISTOP...52661195947394

Remembered it because I would look at pictures of the covers and other art. It's Cry For Dawn, a comic. Some info on this page, and if you scroll down you'll see the actual picture:

http://www.falhaven.com/haven/reviews/dawn.html

Pretty sad...that guy won't even try to write decently, and he steals art from all over the place. I would whack him several times over for his foolish talk ALONE.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the help, Jazz.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aly Fell View Post
    This one is mine, and no he doesn't have permission:

http://picasaweb.google.com/CHRISTOP...52768861315442
    Wait wasn't that one published in ImageFX? This guy has some big ones steal art work that been in a publication.. I will say this guy needs to really have visit by the feds.. I really hope this is going to happen soon Thanks James for giving a small clue he has some real legal pains coming his way. I love to see his face when it does..

CC

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Question

Check this one, he's claiming copyright on something painted around 1890..
    http://picasaweb.google.com/CHRISTOP...52555967293458

Maybe he was Evelyn De Morgan in a previous life?
    http://www.artmagick.com/pictures/pi...angel-of-death

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the help, everyone! Keep 'em comin'! ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kind of makes you want to send this over to SomethingAwful and see what they can do with this guy...

Finn | my sketchbook thread | tumblr | Bēhance | gorillaartfare | whiskey, gin, and pints of beer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why not just contact a lawyer and let them handle it for you? Tell the lawyer what you want (money would be nice) and then he can send out letters to the guy and take him to court.

"(1) Except as provided by clause (2) of this subsection, the copyright owner may elect, at any time before final judgment is rendered, to recover, instead of actual damages and profits, an award of statutory damages for all infringements involved in the action, with respect to any one work, for which any one infringer is liable individually, or for which any two or more infringers are liable jointly and severally, in a sum of not less than $750 or more than $30,000 as the court considers just. For the purposes of this subsection, all the parts of a compilation or derivative work constitute one work.

(2) In a case where the copyright owner sustains the burden of proving, and the court finds, that infringement was committed willfully, the court in its discretion may increase the award of statutory damages to a sum of not more than $150,000. In a case where the infringer sustains the burden of proving, and the court finds, that such infringer was not aware and had no reason to believe that his or her acts constituted an infringement of copyright, the court in its discretion may reduce the award of statutory damages to a sum of not less than $200. The court shall remit statutory damages in any case where an infringer believed and had reasonable grounds for believing that his or her use of the copyrighted work was a fair use under section 107, if the infringer was: (i) an employee or agent of a nonprofit educational institution, library, or archives acting within the scope of his or her employment who, or such institution, library, or archives itself, which infringed by reproducing the work in copies or phonorecords; or (ii) a public broadcasting entity which or a person who, as a regular part of the nonprofit activities of a public broadcasting entity (as defined in subsection (g) of section 118) infringed by performing a published nondramatic literary work or by reproducing a transmission program embodying a performance of such a work."

------
    Studio Fawn *smiley face*

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It depends on whether or not you have a registered copyright at the time. (This is for the US).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ivory, I'm mostly helping a friend out in trying to notify the various artists who were affected. I wasn't one of the artists who had anything taken, so I can't take any action personally. Most of the artists we've notified are choosing to handle things in their own respective ways, which is their right to choose how they want to handle things on their end.. But they can't take action if they have no idea that any of their work was even taken in the first place.

Mostly, it's been just trying to get the word out so people can get their own ducks in a row and go from there.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Riley Stark For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.