the Fatal Painter Crash

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: the Fatal Painter Crash

Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 133 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Exclamation the Fatal Painter Crash

ok,

i need to know if its just me or not, but throughout the 6 years i have been using painter there has been a dark side.
    the dreaded "save crash"
    for those of you infarmiliar, painter has the ability to crash while saving, and whats worse it that it corrupts the file you are saving when it crashes, and reduces the file to ZERO k

this the the nastiest most evil bug i could imagiane,

it dosent happen all the time, but it has occoured with every version of painter i use, on any platform.

it usually happens on higher rez files, or when im under tight deadlines.

i was under the impression that it was my hardware that was causing the problem. lack of ram, whatever.

well i just got a brand new G5 dual processors, 2 gig of ram.
    im running painter 8.1 with the newest patch,

AND IT STILL CRASHES !!!

does anyone else experience this, and does anyone have any anwsers or solutions to this problem,

when i call Corel they respond like they have never heard of this , but i know there are others out there that have experienced this.

i dont like griping, but this appears to be a fundamental software defect and i want anwsers.

thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are you familiar with the "Zoom in Ridiculously too Much Crash"? You can very easily zoom in waay too much with the key commands and the program dies...

Have you tried saving "as" so you have two documents to go through. At least the earlier version will be ok.

-Joshua

Thanks
    Thanked 10,999 Times in 2,565 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ive had the same problem...though ive not had it with painter7 and windows xp/ gforce4 card.

perhaps its a hardware issue.

j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So far Painter 7 has been rock solid for me. I never experienced this, although on my older machine it used to Crash to the desktop randomly on me. As soon as I upgraded hardware it went away. Maybe it is a hardware issue.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Android, I know exactly what you are talking about, the same thing has happened to me before. I had a large, high resolution piece that I had been working on for some time. I had saved it several times without problem and then on my last save, the night before it was due, it crashed in the middle of saving. The file was corrupted down to zero k, so it didn't even exist anymore, it erased the previous saves and everything. It was terrible. After that I got in the habit of saving the piece under different names as I went so if it happened again (which it has) I can just go back to the previous version. I also called corel and they acted as if they had never heard of it before, but obviously it has happened to other people. Some kind of conspiracy...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im so gald that im not alone, but that still dosent solve our problem. one solution i have found around it is to record your script as you work then stop and save the script before saving, but thats a hassle. save as works ok, but on hi rez images that can quickely take up alot of disk space.

The crash seems to be associated with larger images,
    the last one i has was with an image 2550x3300 pixles psd file, it was about 31 megs. nothing too unreasonable.

josh, the zoom in one sucks too, its really easy to make that mistake,

that almost falls under user error, but crashing while saving is unforgivable defect.

i have kept quiet about this crash for a long time, but its time to break the silence, and let the world know about this, corel can ignore us one by one, but perhaps together we can make more of an impression.

painter is still my favorite painting program ever, and it hurts to start up a negative thread about them, but somethings gota give. corel needs to fess up to this and tell us exactealy how to aviod it, or they need to fix it!

thanks guys.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Andrew, i had this problem awhile ago on my old computer, and oddly it's gone now.

I figured out the problem only happens when you try to save over an original file...well that's how the problem started for me.

so if you have the space you have to save it as a new file every single time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Android write up a letter to corel, and we all can email it to them.. ConceptArt.ORG stands as 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah I have had that happen in Painter 6 and 7.. but it hasnt happend recently... I think it was my old video card... and the drviers.. but I could be wrong.. *shrug*

let us know what we can do to help....

peace
    -mike

-Deth Jester
    "Live each day like you will die tommorow, and dream like you will live forever..."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Davi i have been dealing with this problem for years, save as works sometimes but its not a solid work around.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep, the save crash... I'm all too familiar with the beast

The thing has forced me to save #'s of variations on paints, sometimes it's hard since you're working so intensly and you don't wanna stop and save.
    There's been plenty of times where I've gotten the save-crash, and had to just resort to a smaller 150 or 300 dpi of my work : \ .....

I'm sure if we send this thread to them they'd get on the ball.

my website
    -- playing: "Pikmin 3" and "World of Tanks"
    -- reading: "Death of the Liberal Class" -Chris Hedges

O my soul, do not aspire to immortal life, but exhaust the limits of the possible. - Pindar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    break the silence people, if this has hapened to you too, lets hear about it. the more people speak up about it the closer we will come to geting it fixed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm usually a P.S. guy, but I never had this problem with Painter. I use P.C's mostly, so could this be a Mac OS issue??

"If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you think Jin might have a solution to the problem? She is very helpful when it comes to Painter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, this has happened to me, too, but not since I upgrade to Painter 8 on a G4. The worst time was years ago with version 6 when I was working on a painting for a tabletop game screen. The image was pretty big (124 megs), but after the crash was reduced to a not at all reasonable ZERO k!!!!!!! Empty!!!! I had to take a lo-res in progress version, blow it up, and sharpen all the details by hand just to get back to my progress point! I stayed up 36 hours straight with only coffee, cigarettes, and hate to fuel me! Argghhhh! Again, things seem okay with the program now in my experience with version 8, but if others are still having this happen and if it's at all possible this crash could still occur, it must be addressed, investigated, and corrected!

PAT LOBOYKO

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    otis, this is definately a cross platform problem, i had been experiencing the crash frequently on a pc, and i upgraded to a g5 in the hopes that it would be resolved to no avail.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am using Painter 6.1, and I do not have a save crash, but it seems as if anything interrupts the active window (i.e. an Instant message or outside error dialog box, anything that pops up, etc.), while the wacom pen is touching the pad , then Painter crashes. If Painter is just sitting there and I am not using the wacom to interact with it nothing happens. I know it is not a Wacom issue because it does not happen in photoshop or opencanvas. Usually I just put up an away message when I work because talking distracts from my 'flow', but it can be annoying, and if any other running program or process pops up a message it destroys what I am working on.

Also, perhaps more on-topic, the other day I was working on an 'exceptionally large' (for me - probably 3000-5000 px wide, can't remember) file for some freelance print work, and once when I saved, it saved with strange errors and artifacts all over the canvas. Like purple and green vertical streaks and odd saturation changes placed randomly over the canvas. They looked like compression artifacts or scan lines on video.... but they were also right on the canvas, as though I had painted them there... I had to literally paint them out!

Very odd. Maybe I should have taken a screenshot, but I was busy cursing at the top of my lungs and pounding the desk.

- Rockstar Ninja Artist Extraordinaire

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Android,

yes, i get this crash from time to time....but it's rare (knock on wood, in painter right now..haha) It's very random...i haven't noticed any pattern or why it does it. Maybe it's a high-res thing...but it's happend to my "thumbnail" files....something at 1200x1200....so not big.

I haven't found a solution either. I use Painter 6 w/ the patch. I also work on 3 different PCs at my home studio (and 1 laptop), and one here at work....they've all had this crash before.

I hope Corel fixes this soon in Painter 9.

Now i just work w/ Photoshop opened in the background. Whenever i save, i just use the "update" feature in PS...and get the image stored into memory. So if Painter does crash, i'll have it opened in PS...which rarely crashes on me (never now that i think about it.....knock on wood again). So i just do a save and put the file back....

i feel your pain tho....

-feng

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    happend to me twice, but not on huge terribly important pieces. it just sorta happend. I dont really think its hardware problem, im also running it on relativly new stuff.

also another thing i noticed, may just be me though, is painter has some issues with resizing or zooming in and out, when using multiple layers; white chunks sort of just apear, were i was painting, and there virtually impossible to get rid of.

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have had this problem, but not with Painter 8.1. Looks like they also fixed the brush resize crash when you are using the bracket keys. I feel for you. This is the most evil and pernicious of bugs. In fact, at one point I tried to get rid of Painter because of it and just use Photoshop, but I was kidding myself. Someone that you might want to message is Don Seegmiller. He has some great contacts there as he demos for them. PM him the bug and see if he has talked to them about it. I know he has had the crash too at some point.

I have started saving as PSD's on my large files because I used to get the weird color corruption thing. Maybe the crash happens with .rif files? I also save iterations. Every few saves, I save a file with a new name: xxx_001.psd, xxx_002.psd and so on.

I did report the bug to Corel when it was happening to me, but that was with 7. Good luck and talk to Don.

Howard

LYON
    Fine Art and Illustration
    www.howardlyon.com

Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Andrew,
    Are you saving compressed RIFs? That definately caused problems in the past.

LYON
    Fine Art and Illustration
    www.howardlyon.com

Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    th emost recent crash was a psd file, i have had it crash on jpg. i would be currious if there was a file type that had more stability. The crash would appear to occour while it writes the image.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The saving crash used to happen to me more often when I was using psd files in painter 7. I had to get used saving a new version out when ever I did something significant. I reinstalled painter 7 and that help for awhile.
    (Did you ever notice how if you hit save as a psd then hit cancel it sometimes still saves?....weird.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by lyon
    Andrew,
    Are you saving compressed RIFs? That definately caused problems in the past.
    My thoughts exactly.

Ever since I started saving everything in Photoshop PSD format I haven't had any of the crap associated with saving in RIFF format.

-- formerly ceenda

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah i've had this problem as well, even though my computer is starting to get outdated its still VERY capable of running painter and photoshop.
    athlon 1700, 120gb hd, ati aiw 8500 64mb vid card
    768mb ram(yeah need more but proggies run fine with it)
    i had it happen to me just a couple of days ago right.
    Now I'm trying to save in different folders as well as seperate files for each save.

As a mans power and knowledge grows so the paths he may choose lessen more and more until he can choose only and whole what he must do.
    time to follow the trend: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...14#post1052814
    oh and heres a college buddy of mine:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75358

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i had this occur several times on my old machine with painter 6.1 - more rarely since new pc with painter 6.1, and the save bug is almost gone for me with painter 8.1.
    it does still crash on me from time to time just while working, but for me, it became more stable.

i found a soft spot of painter to be running entech powerstrip.
    with powerstrip in the memory, painter would inevitable crash whenever i make significant changes to a brush in the brush creator.
    since i deactivate pstrip while painting, i can work quite conveniently.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this has happened to me a couple of times with painter 7.
    file size and file type were different each time. it crashed on .psd, .jpg and.rif and i couldn't do anything to get my work back. suck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Save a backuo to everything. Then leapfrog from one save to the other when you work, so that you have two works saved, not just one. I use it all the time, and I don't have any problems with it.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have also this problem few time ago on big files (any extension).
    My personnal solution is : save your work on an other partition (or HDD) than painter and windows are installing...
    It's work for me ... hope can help you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes, I have had this problem as well. In both versions 7 and 8 I have had Painter crash and loose my file... I hate that...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I never had this problem, but i think Feng's method is quite good to avoid a loss of your works...(updating image in ps)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.