Thanks

Unhappy Direction in life

Hi!

I have a problem. Soon it´s time for me too choose what I want to study at the gymnasium. At first the answer was clear, Art. But now I am not so sure. It feels like if I dont choose art im giving up on it. But at the same time almost always when I draw or paint I get really frustrated. I know everyone gets frustrated from time to time but I always get frustrated. Without art I am lost. I have no direction in life. I dont know what you can do to help but perhaps you can give me a kick in the ass in the right direction.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 379 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OHI View Post
    Without art I am lost.
    Bam.

Now go draw.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to velderia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 838 Posts
    Gymnasium I'm guessing you live in Sweden or somewhere near here... I don't know about the school you'll go to, but for me I didn't think the education was all that. The teachers were pretty sloppy and their idea was that it was up to us to learn and get better. Although I've realized afterwards that at least one of the teachers said pretty smart things I probably should have paid more attention to... I didn't really start learning until after high school (and when I found this site). Besides, don't worry so much about the direction. Whatever you choose to study in high school you can allways take another path later. Just make sure to get decent grades. What taking art in high school would do for you however is give you much more time to draw and improve. So from that stand point I think it's a pretty good idea. (Well that, and it's fun.)
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:

OHI

Thanks
    Thanks for the replys. It seems I have a love hate relationship to art. Sometimes I hate it and sometimes I love it. But it is really tearing on me when I get frustrated every day.
    And yes I live in Sweden!

Thanks
    It seems I have a love hate relationship to art. Sometimes I hate it and sometimes I love it. But it is really tearing on me when I get frustrated every day.
    I think, to a degree, this goes for ALL artists. It's probably safe to say that everyone of a creative nature--artists, writers, musicians, filmmakers, etc--will have moments of love/hate relationships with their work. The creative process isn't some happy, magical, romantic thing like at times it's portrayed; the inspired artist sitting at their easel, painting without a care in the world. Yeah. Hardly. Completing a project is often a battle of wills between the artist and whatever they are working on. It IS a frustrating process.

I've personally had a love/hate relationship between just about everything I've ever done. I'll go through periods where I'll sit down at my desk, look at something I've been working on and absolutely HATE it, and I have to force myself to work on it when it's the last thing I want to do. Usually once I've finished something and I sit back and look at it though, I'm pleased with the result and glad I slaved through it to get it to that point.
    Critters! Dinosaurs! Lovecraftian horrors! ~~~~~> My creature sculpting thread!
    The Savage Goldfish Blog

"I started to see human beings as little lonesome, water-based pink meat, life forms pushing air through themselves and making noises that the other little pieces of meat seemed to understand."
    -Devin Townsend

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SavageGoldfish For This Useful Post:

OHI

Thanks
    The thing is I get tired of stuff really fast. I get a hobby like drawing for example. But then instead of just taking it easy I put all my energy in it and work really intense with it for awhile. I cant have stuff as just hobbies. If I do something I do it to either become a proffesional or really succed in that area. It feels like if I only have drawing as a hobby it´s not worth doing it but at the same time thats when I enjoy it the most because there´s no presssure. I have to do something creative and use my hands or else my hands will start to shake and I just walk around the house shaking my hands and thinking up stories and stuff. I know it sounds weird but its been like this my whole life. When i was young i didnt play with toys; I played with a spoon. I waved it around and I would see pictures in my head. I made up my own stories and worlds and i still do that. I need something to get it out of my head, so i draw. I have thought about starting doing 3d stuff but I dont know where to begin. sorry for all the text.

Thanks
    OHI you sound like me 1 or 2 years ago. seriously..I could have written that.

I made the decision to choose art. I haven't regretted it. You seem like a really passionate, everything or nothing at all-person..Don't worry about the frustration. I think we ALL have it at some point.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lumisade For This Useful Post:

OHI

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    If you have something to say, art's a great way to say it. I assume, even at an art school, you'll still study some basic subjects, like math, science, literature, and history?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

OHI

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TASmith View Post
    If you have something to say, art's a great way to say it. I assume, even at an art school, you'll still study some basic subjects, like math, science, literature, and history?
    Er, I wouldn't assume that... a lot of art schools seem to be pretty light on non-art subjects. Mine had more than some of the other art schools in this city, but even there all we had was English, Philosophy, Art History, and a choice of "social studies" electives, most of which were very fluffy (I mean, there was a class on marijuana, and another on astrology... you get the idea. Fluff.) I was able to take a couple of useful language classes, but only up to intermediate level, and most of the more hardcore subjects were off-limits to art majors, so we had to fill up on fluff.

So, if you want art plus a good range of other subjects, check what's available at the schools you're considering. Sometimes you can compromise with a double-major, or a major in one subject with a minor in another...

Can you do some sort of combined majors in the schools where you live? That might work for you if you have equal interests in different areas (I know people who have done this successfully, combining things like Music + Business...)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

OHI

Thanks
    Thanks for all the replys it is really helping me!

I am not going to start at a real art school yet. Gymnasium is the thing between elementary school and university. At the gymnasium you can choose one thing to study a lot more than other subjects. But if you choose to study business you cant apply to an art school later because you dont have the qualifications needed. My cousin is studying architecture and I have been thinking about studying that too., but then I get the feeling that I am quitting art and I dont like that.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    In America, gymnasium is where you go to run and stretch, and play basketball. In Europe, gymnasium means high school, and highschool means college. And in England college is a second, 2-year high school you need to go through to get into university.

I assume your gymnasium doesn't have majors, or many electives. History's the one subject you can really learn better on your own if you have passion for it. I'd worry about taking math and science as that really needs a good teacher to explain with models and charts and experiments.

Thanks
    Architecture is an art, if you ask me.

Follow your heart. You say without art you are lost... so go find yourself within art

Thanks
    Go for it, absolutely. I live in Sweden and I tell you - the art gymnasium is almost as good as the errr... samhäll one. The gymnasium in general isn't even that much of a big deal - it's not like with university studies where you need to take loans and crap.

I studied art at the gymnasium and it was great, it gave me enough time to orient myself among the different art styles while still getting all the most important courses. Unless you plan on becoming a doctor or an astronaut or something else where you need a billion math classes the art gymnasium will take you where you want to go, regardless of if it's art or something completely different.

Be warned though, from my experience the art gymnasiums mostly give you the opportunity to paint/draw using many different mediums and only give very basic knowledge when it comes to anatomy, perspective and other things that may be useful once you actually know in what direction you want to take your art. I do think this may differ depending on where your gymnasium is, but if you're already 100% sure that you want to be a digital artist (for instance) you may want to check what your school will be able to teach you in that field before making a decision.

You're still young, I'd take this chance to see if art is really something you want to keep struggling for. It's when you've got to pick a university that you have to make the real decision.
    ★ Current Project: Secrets of Grindea ★
    Making it work, one step at a time!

Thanks
    Tack Vilya!

Vad gör du nu då? Har du ett jobb eller gör du någonting annat?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,794 Times in 1,166 Posts
    Hi!

I have a problem. Soon it´s time for me too choose what I want to study at the gymnasium. At first the answer was clear, Art. But now I am not so sure. It feels like if I dont choose art im giving up on it. But at the same time almost always when I draw or paint I get really frustrated. I know everyone gets frustrated from time to time but I always get frustrated. Without art I am lost. I have no direction in life. I dont know what you can do to help but perhaps you can give me a kick in the ass in the right direction.
    I didn't take art which I regreted sooooo much when I at the same time feel I did the right choise, even though I have had a great time studying Natural Science subjects (loving this stuff) and moving upwards there while doing art on my spare time.

Although I don't have any experience of the swedish art gymnasiums, but as Vilya said, the big decision is when picking a university.
    Last edited by LORD M; August 18th, 2010 at 11:44 AM.
    "I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Tack Vilya!

Vad gör du nu då? Har du ett jobb eller gör du någonting annat?
    Skickade ett PM :3
    ★ Current Project: Secrets of Grindea ★
    Making it work, one step at a time!

Thanks
    I believe that deep inside, you already know what it is that you really want to do.In order to change your life you need to make decisions about what you want and then take action...Spending quiet time alone is another good way to begin to hear your intuition more clearly.

Thanks
    Just to help solidify what everyone else is saying...

You only live once bud, make it count and do what you want to do! If you can't live without art could you really see yourself working in some cubicle? If the answer is no then "go draw"!!
    The Sketchbook of Naj and Stu!:
    SKETCHBOOK

And of course go check out the SB of DefiledVisions

Thanks
    Just logged in this morning and saw that this thread was up again!

Thanks for all the help! I have decided to go with art. I´ll do that for 3 years and then see if that´s still what I want to do.

Terrence: What made you bring this thread back to life? Anyway, thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    The main thing the school is giving you is time, time to try different things, to make mistakes, to think things through, find what you like, what you don`t, etc...

Stay focused on improving and doing things well. Take the time to read, learn and finding new interests, try and stay closer to other people who are focused, share your interest with theirs even when they are different.

Open up your ears and your eyes, not everything will be great but you need to analize as much as you can.

People will be always full of advice and will be open to hand it over to you, people are also full of shit, so try to be discerning.

Keep the ego low but the enthusiasm high.

And stay off the fucking drugs.

Best of luck.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to JDSart For This Useful Post:

OHI

Thanks

Cow

I'm in very much the same place as you. I'm about to graduate in six months and although art is one of my two 15/15 points subjects, I'm still unsure what to do with myself after school. I love art, I love studying the old masters and analysing product/advertisement design. But at the same time I've been having a few months without drawing right now and somehow I'm worried at my lack of missing it. There's so much I want to do - I'd love to expand my dancing (traditional oriental dance, my teacher says I must have been an Egyptian and a dancer in a former life, but I'm too tall and curvy to perform professionally), I'm very much into object manipulation (hoops and juggling) and I want to do something that has to do with my love of animal rights and environmentalism. Well, what to do? I really don't know.

What I think I might do is a voluntary social or ecological year. Here in Germany, that's something one can do between 16 and 27 and you either do social work (help disabled people or seniors, work at schools etc) or, in the second case, work at a farm, environmental protection centres and so on. The environmental protection one is very appealing to me personally, being the tree-hugging vegan that I am It also gives me a year's time to figure out what to do after that, without being unproductive in the meanwhile. Is there something like this in Sweden as well? Might be an option.

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

"Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

"I mean, What is a chair? It's an anti-gravity device." Glen Keane

"The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo