Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Mr. Pederson's Opus

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mr. Pederson's Opus

forget this early stuff, who needs it. go to my later posts or something

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Scott Pederson; October 10th, 2011 at 09:37 PM. Reason: trying to change thread thumbnail since MD is not eyecatching
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that for all my future still lives I shall paint things that make me focus more on color than a bunch of details. This mountain dew can was kind of stupid to do because I spent most of my time drawing the little dude with the moonshine bottle and "throwback." I should have painted it crushed. This one turned out pretty crappy compared to what I've been doing recently and I feel like I've reverted to where I was about six months ago.
    Name:  8-15-2010.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  88.2 KB

This was a much more successful still life. Needed something with color since that's what I feel like I struggle with the most. Another drink; some orange juice I forgot about while I took a shower and then set under a light for an hour. I'm sure it's delicious by now.
    Just noticed though that the rim perspective is horrible. I attribute this to my bad, and constantly changing, posture. I was focusing on the color anyway.
    Name:  8-17-2010.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  69.3 KB

Last edited by Scott Pederson; October 16th, 2011 at 11:59 PM.

svanbrunt is offline It can only go up from here, right? Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The OJ looks great. Yea, the lip looks a bit off but the glass is great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's sort of a food and drink theme going on so far in this sketchbook. I guess I just feel like drawing right after I eat something. Today it is a piece of foil I crumpled up after I ate the leftover pizza contained within it. I am trying different things out. Today, it was no transparency. I focused on the little preview window and scratched in my brush strokes to make it look good. Squint your eyes or zoom out on the page and it looks pretty good.
    Name:  8-18-2010.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  186.7 KB
    svanbrunt: Thanks for checking out my sb!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Geordi LaForge

Yesterday somebody used the words "the next generation" in a sentence. It was not in the context of the series at all; but I was trying to think of something to draw, so Geordi popped into my mind. I attempted to draw as much of his head as I could from memory (the last time I've seen the show was maybe a month ago) and then compare it to a photo and fix it. The mouth was way off and far too high, but the nose and eyebrows were almost spot on. I couldn't remember at all what his hair looked like, and his hair turned out crazy hard to paint. Didn't spend too much time on rendering, it was just a quickie. But yeah, it was a good exercise and I think I found a new avatar and thread thumbnail.
    edit: if someone can help me figure out how to change thread thumbnails.
    Name:  geordi.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  194.0 KB

Last edited by Scott Pederson; August 20th, 2010 at 03:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I forgot to update over here on CA yesterday but I did draw.
    Yesterday:
    Was getting back into anatomy. trying out overlay coloring, too. got bored of it and gave up, but it was just a doodle to begin with. some ref for leg muscles.
    Name:  8-20-2010.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  59.1 KB
    Today:
    Messing around with anatomy and getting more used to sketching in photoshop. I've got a pretty good grasp on musculature, skeletal structure, proportion, and balance. I just need to practice it more so that I can do it quickly. His right lower leg could be bent back more but I'll deal with that later. Just trying weird poses with twisting and making them look like they are in motion.
    Name:  8-21-2010.JPG
Views: 275
Size:  24.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh, I guess I kind of gave up on the daily thing pretty quickly. I realized I'm not the type of person who benefits from daily studies. I pick up on things really quickly so forcing myself to do so much extra work was an unnecessary burden. I got burned out and took two weeks or so off art for no reason and it was stupid. I'm still drawing every day now, but I'm doing full pieces because I can learn more from them than doing 500 pictures of orange juice. I will have more anatomy once school starts because I have long breaks in which I have nothing to do.
    I've been working on something really awesome though, for cghub's illustrated contest. It isn't done but I would like to show it off because I really like it so far.

edit: removed WIP, unbelievably huge image for no reason

Last edited by Scott Pederson; October 10th, 2011 at 09:30 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,033 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    looking really nice man! This will look great once you get to texturing and the likes, have you tried a couple overlay layers on 5-10% opacity? Keep layering them on top of each other and then you can lock them all together for some interesting color glazing. Keep up the hard work man, draw draw draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Metal Fingers: thanks man. I really like your sketchbook. I've got less time for drawing now but I think I'm going to devote more of the time I have to skills that would apply to comic book illustration. I was thinking about doing textured overlay layers but I decided to just stick with a noise layer. I did a gradient map layer to make the shadows blue and the light areas yellowish. I realize now that I've stopped working on it that the composition is a little messed up, and I realized I never flipped the canvas--not even once--which contributed to that. But I like it, and it's as done as it's ever going to be.

Small preview:

CLICK HERE for full res final.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I return

Massive art dump incoming (but not as massive as it should be, for how long it has been).

I had a very long bout of having no inspiration and no motivation to make art. I think it was something as simple as the inclusion of wheat in my diet. Celiac runs in the family, and as soon as I got off gluten there was a remarkable change in my alertness and disposition. I was nothing but tired and depressed for about a year, but now it is over and I am BACK TO ART!

Ok, actually, I was back to art a few weeks ago, but I sort of forgot about CA. I resumed activity on my CGHUB sketchbook but never bothered to get back on here. So, here we go.

I started with a crazy regiment of studies. Way too many per day, and each being only 30 minutes long, I wasn't learning much. But I guess it brought my motor skills back into action, at least. I'm just going to post a few of my favs from that. Mostly from photo reference, unless otherwise noted.
    Name:  9-20 landscape ref.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  250.2 KB
    Name:  9-21 still life.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  61.1 KBFrom life
    Name:  9-21 landscape ref.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  196.2 KB
    Name:  9-22 landscape ref.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  313.4 KB
    Name:  9-22 photo study.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  241.3 KB
    Name:  9-22 portrait.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  202.9 KB

What really brought me back to CA was watching the TAD videos I bought. I got color theory, composition, idea development, and independence in art, a business and networking video (extremely helpful).

I did an album cover for a friend. It's an updated imagining of the creeper. He liked my painting that got popular last year but I wouldn't let him use that old piece of junk. Tune in next week for it. The album is really amazingly good, and I think he will be releasing it on a donations model on bandcamp so you can all give it a listen. The new thread thumbnail is a preview...

I sketched this personal piece today. I need to work on the composition and values, but I like the color and the idea. jellyfish grandmother ghost god or something
    Name:  babushka.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  190.9 KB

Last edited by Scott Pederson; October 10th, 2011 at 09:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  10-17 photo ref.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  280.8 KB
    Studies are more fun when I'm choosing colors to put down deliberately instead of mixing and color picking and screening and overlaying and multiplying or relying on any of photoshop's other algorithms. I think they turn out better, too.

I've mostly been working on this.
    Name:  babushka2.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  127.9 KB
    I like it but I think it could be better, especially in terms of composition and mood. I might just chalk this up to a fun experiment, go on to something else, and come back to it later when I can do it justice.

I think it's time I start a master study. Bouguereau, Repin, or Leighton?

Last edited by Scott Pederson; October 17th, 2011 at 09:49 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did a landscape from imagination. I should probably incorporate some practice doing textures and detail since I'm avoiding detail so much in these color studies.
    Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  279.0 KB

And this was a fun piece. A new creeper for my friend's minecraft-inspired album, Building Blocks. According to his tags, it is an electronic experimental indie industrial instrumental orchestral rock soundtrack. And it really is amazingly good, and it is pay-what-you-want.
    Get it at http://radarbeamer.bandcamp.com/album/building-blocks
    Name:  creeper-cd-500.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  126.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is what I need to remember to do: When I do a photo study, credit the photographer. I get all of my images from pbase. This one is based on a photo by Pieter Bos.
    Name:  mesa-arch.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  155.7 KB

And I am about to begin a master study. I'm going to do Ilya Repin's "Sadko in the Underwater Kingdom." It's one of my favorite pieces; so atmospheric.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jellyfish grandmother. I'll note that somewhere!

Your studies are very good, very enjoyable - highlights: aborigine man and the glass of orange juice

Keep up, I wish I had more of a constructive criticism for you, but I guess a positive feedback will do too!
    Cheerios,
    V.!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kerah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your work, you paint very well! I like the colors you use and your brushstrokes. Maybe experiment with more saturated light sources? I reeeeally love that creeper image, he is super creepy! (Also, minecraft is epic. Kudos to you)

sketchbook
    facebook | tumblr | art hangouts! (get your friendly ol' bum over here and get arting with us!)

"[...]as we gain facility of hand and travel further afield, we discover that we have a key to unlock the wonders of art and nature, a method of conjuring up forms at will: a sensitive language capable of recording and revealing impressions and beauties of form and structure hidden from the careless eye[...]"
    -Walter Crane, 'Line & Form'

17. The Following User Says Thank You to the-muddy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    all work and no play makes jack a dull boy. I'm going to play some video games. And then maybe go outside.

Thanks for the comments. Iristhevirus, I found some pictures a while ago of some guys at a jazz concert or something which had really cool looking lighting, lots of saturated yellow and blue. I'll have to find them.

Here's something I did with a brush pen and a prismacolor marker I bought a while ago. I was just getting a feel for them.
    Name:  003.png
Views: 167
Size:  608.6 KB

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.