Thanks

This would be fun to have as an artist

Saw this wile back had to dig for the link a cool system to build models if you are in to 3D sculpture.. http://makerbot.com/ and it under 1K

Just found the link this as well if you are a teacher this is worth checking out ..http://blog.makerbot.com/2010/08/09/...cher-giveaway/

CC
    Last edited by CCorsair; August 17th, 2010 at 02:40 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    That's impressive!
    I would print my own spaceships, little dioramas and action figures!

Thanks
    This would have been great to have gotten if i had not need a new laptop this would been the thing to get.. Ok its on the wish list(it is my Birthday next month lol) I could see a ton things i could build with this and being a Sculptor this would come in handy to help make new models for bigger builds . Prop making as they showed on the news them making thing that were tall as 2 feet or better.. With Halloween coming up this would great for making costume props right now. They have facebook site so I am going to keep an eye on them I know we have the Money coming but its going to hard waiting ..

CC

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,056 Posts
    My dad uses this (or something similar) for prototyping his industrial design work, it is indeed pretty cool...

(That is, if you don't mind having everything "print" in layers of white plastic. But you can always sand down any ridgy bits and paint it for slick-looking results.)

Thanks
    Do want!
    And do be sure to check out my sketchbook if you have time!
    ketchook
    LinkedIn

Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 687 Posts
    Hmmmm........interesting....
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    There are print shops out there that will do 3d printing out there. They aren't cheap, but they have higher quality equipment than any normal individual could afford, and you can do quite a few prints before you get to the cost of even a cheap 3d printer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meloncov View Post
    There are print shops out there that will do 3d printing out there. They aren't cheap, but they have higher quality equipment than any normal individual could afford, and you can do quite a few prints before you get to the cost of even a cheap 3d printer.
    I think you thinking of places like this http://home.utah.edu/~asn8200/rapid.html they do 3D rapid prototyping using a resin base 3D stereolithography system.. this use a laser and computer and big system that use the laser to harden a resin on a tray in layers. there are small version but still in the thousands of dollars to get. the makebot make the item as you want it and is much cheaper plus i can see ton application for this system..

It's on the top of my want & Need list ...

CC