Some Critque for a Beginning Artist?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Some Critque for a Beginning Artist?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Some Critque for a Beginning Artist?

I have just recently decided to take my art (as a hobby) more seriously. Here are a couple drawings I did recently that I would really like to hear what you guys have to say on.

Regarding Dracula, I had a lot of trouble with the hand, particularly the index finger. It is at an unusual angle, and the foreshortening was messing me up. I also was having trouble with the pencil getting into the recesses as the paper was just taped to my wall. In the future I think I will put something thin and smooth between it and the wall.

(It would not let me upload the image here, so I present an external link: http://stolide.deviantart.com/#/d2wjsyz )

The tea kettle I was fairly satisfied with, but I am a bit annoyed with some of the reflections on the right side, particularly those of my keyboard and computer chair.

Both of those are on printer paper with a cheap mechanical pencil, as I am not in the position to afford anything else. If you could give tips regarding cheap alternatives that may be better, that would be wonderful as well.

Thank you in advance, any help you offer would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is there a reason no one has replied? Not even a, "You suck! Go read Loomis."

Forgive me if I am just being impatient.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It takes a little while for people to get to your post; don't worry. I worried with my first one too.

I looked through your DA, and have a few pieces of advice for you.

1. Start simple.
    2. Observe accurately.
    3. Draw. Draw. Draw.

I know that sounds like platitudes, but they will help you. You're attempting to tackle things (hands, shiny tea kettles) that are bound to frustrate you, and frustration leads to giving up, and no one wants that. Not saying don't ever do hard things (quite the opposite, really! pages and pages of hands!), I'm just saying practice the basics before you get there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you. I have done pages and pages of hands and eyes and faces and figures. Before that it was cubes and spheres and cones. It is only in the last couple weeks or so that I did that though. In my few weeks off between semesters I spent around 8 hours a day drawing.

The only thing I have tried that frustrated me enough to quite was a sight size drawing of a photograph of Notre Dame. On that note, sight size has been extremely helpful for me regarding your second point.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1. Start simple.
    2. Observe accurately.
    3. Draw. Draw. Draw.
    I have to agree with that. Before you worry about surface treatments, try getting the accurate shape of things through simple shapes and forms. Worry about more accurate line drawing before rendering, and these will also take less time so you can get a lot more out in 8 hours than finished renderings. Draw all the objects around you, starting with simple shapes, and your lines will become more confident and less scritchy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the help. Will just drawing outlines in general help? Is there a good book or something that specifically mentions ways to go about have more clear and distinct lines? This is something I have long though about my work actually...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.