I`m gonna quit art school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    MuizChulan Guest

Art is Dead.

It hurts so much to suddenly be hit with the realisation that my Dream,the only thing I am good at, is a load of pretentious, fake,bullshit.

It's all fake.

I'll explain.

I attempted to pull myself together. Went back to Art School on Monday, full of hope and determination.

I did so well, and then on Tuesday, we where told to do 2 large pieces (A0) One in the morning, and then another in the afternoon,with a group crit in between.

ALL morning, I drew this stunning massive picture of Naam Siulam Ji
    Shaolin Temple
    as the project was architecture based.

I hate myself and I hate my work,but even I had to admit that this piece was fucking amazing.

I put everything into it, all my emotion,everything.

Hurt,because I know I'll never live long enough to see it, Joy,because I was doing Art something I supposedly enjoyed,Happiness at drawing something beautifull, Happiness at finally getting my life back together and back on track.

The piece was personal,and beautifull. The best thing I've ever done,The best thing I'll ever do.

Then, the group crit.

I showed my piece with pride, and the tutor said,

''Well. It's ok. But there's no emotion in it, no passion. It seems you've drawn for the sake of drawing and you've put nothing into it.
    This afternoon I want you to fling the materials round and really work into the piece. Make it personal,because this is just desolate''.

That stung. But looking at other peoples work, I started to see Art as what it really is: False.

Other peoples work consisted of madly drawn scribbles and paint flicked onto the paper with brushes. All passionately praised for the enthusiasm.

One girl had actually scrawled all over a piece of paper with some charcol and left one small white mark in the middle. She was praised for the passion she put into her work.

I started to get Rage.

{{Mania+Rage=very bad things. Add to this my Obnoxious nature= WoeX2.}}

So in the afternoon, I was given my second piece of paper.

For ten minutes, I scrawled over it with charcol.

THEN

I flicked paint at it.

THEN

I dribbled tippex down it.

THEN

I cut some text from a newspaper, stuck it on,

THEN

I completely covered the text with brown ink,

THEN

I edged the whole thing with blood red ink.

THEN

I read a book for the remaining two hours.

AND

GUESS

WHAT:

End of day group crit, the tutor LOVED that fucking pile of shit SCRIBBLE that took me LESS THAN TEN FUCKING MINUTES TO DO.

She was almost reaching Orgasm, going on about how there was 'so much passion in the piece', and how it had 'such a sense of movement' and how I'd ' really put some emotion into the piece'.....

And I snapped.

How could I tolerate such ridiculous pretentious bullshit?

Art is no longer Art.

Doing a good piece of work is not what people want anymore.

They want MESS and 'uniqueness'.

They want Tracey Emin shitting fucking pissing and cumming on a bed.

They want people cutting cows in half and encasing them in formaheldahyde.

They want dead carcases half peeled and rotting.

They stare at a canvas smeared with shit and awe at it's 'stunning expressionate power'

They gaze at a pile of rotting toast and call it 'a powerfull and metaphorical look at the state of space and emotion'

They admire the blank canvas and spout about it's 'powerfull imagery and savage underlying message'.

And then they dare to call it ART.

Something I took a long time over and that hurt me to do was sneered at.
    Something shit which took ten minutes to do, was not even Art,and meant nothing to me, was called fantastic.

What is Art?

There is no such thing.

I left.

I'm not going back.

I've got nothing else.

There's an empty grey space inside me and nothing to fill it.

I can tidy the house and clean and walk and play computer games and excersize and get drunk and never stop moving,never sit still,never allow myself time to stop,or to think, but nothing will ever fill that space.

Whatever distraction, whatever I do,However busy I am and whatever I do to distract, there's this emptiness.
    Helpless and empty,with nothing to do.

Art is Dead to me, and I can never go back.

Does anyone understand? Can anyone hear me?
    Am I all alone?

:beer: :chug:

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally someone who feels the same as me. I totally agree with you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pshh, quiter...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well...that was one teacher?

Can't believe that you give up your whole life because one single idiot has a different meaning about art.

Why do you care so much about her opinion?

There are enough people who think like you and well...it's mainly the younger generation..

/e: And post some art or this is gonna be deleted...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't blame it on art, blame it on the incompetent tutor. The one thing you've got to remember is that some people can't fully face up to a piece of art; your picture may very well of succeeded his ideals, past what he knew, what he could realise... he was stuck in a mindset, only realising what he, himself, could accomplish.

Art isn't dying. The artists who now venture off into the 'scribbles' and the so called 'Teachers' of Art, are just becoming something that they, themselves, dictate as art. It necessarily isn't. If YOU put passion into your piece, it showed in other ways then just random lines. You expressed yourself differently, and he, or she, couldn't see that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude, I totally feel you. what are school are you going to and excatly what class is it? I have teachers like that and let me tell you what, I could really give a f*ck about what they think. I make art for myself and my own progression and not for the satisfaction of some teacher. I try to work weird projects assignments into something meaningful for me, and it sucks when the teacher doesn't really care about your hard work and direction, but they are just one person. maybe you should take more "illustration" classes and less "fine art" classes. fine art so to speak can be a lot of bullshit. A lot of freaking hot air justyfying someone's crappy abstraction. And while there ARE some really cool abstract artists I'd rather take a rockwell over a pollock any day.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,094 Times in 2,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    boo hoo hoo

why dont you make some art about it.

thicken your skin mr sensitive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Art isnt art until it makes you happy. Thats all that matters. You will come across many pretentious teachers who know nothing but their small opinion. All that matters is that you do art for you. Its not for that dumbass who can only recognize expression when its splattered on in an undisciplined, unpracticed mess. No matter how good you get, people will find ways in their small and limited mind to not respect you, to tear your work apart. On the other hand though, it needs to be your goal to be able to accept criticism without ego. I know the exact feeling your talking about, when someone crits your work, but if you actually want to improve, you need to be able to accept all criticsim constructively. If you do, it will make you better. Right now its just makeing you mad and discouraged. Think about it objectively: as an artist I cut down trees in order to "express" myself. Pretty fukn selfish if you ask me. Its also not much different than whiping your ass if you look at the grand scheme of things. I do whatever the hell I want when it comes to art. Fuk anyone that says different.

MuizChulan Guest
    Originally posted by Aidan

Why do you care so much about her opinion?

There are enough people who think like you and well...it's mainly the younger generation..

/e: And post some art or this is gonna be deleted...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

sheesh

makes me glad to be living in new mexico. (well... not Santa Fe) but sounds like you are looking fo love in all the wrong places. (also sounds like you did do that second piece with a little emotion) anyway, i feel you, but don't give up. Cuz if you are working pro you are meeting deadlines and drawing what you are told to. Suck it up. You sound like a jilted artist who paints the canvas white and calls it art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    EMO!

Listen, fruit-cake, there are a lot of people with their own opinions out there. Your tutor -most tutors- have a narrow vision of what's great . Heck, almost everyone, because art is a personal experience. You too.
    Fact: with abstract art there is often a fine line between crap and actual art. A lot of 'experts' can't even tell what that line is.

But , what I wanted to say is: If this makes you wanna quit, I think you should pursue another career. Because you'll get a lot of critique - a lot of which you'll feel is wrong. So deal with it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ra Havok For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And for the motivation-thing:

That portrait is dope.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    . <---- that period is actually the smallest violin in the world playing "my heart bleeds for you."

There was much rejoicing in the realm of the Harvest Gods when man created the beer, light could not penetrate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I care more about making art than arguing with fools whether it is art or not....

.................................................. .....................................

Just because you pour all your emotions into a piece, that does not mean the piece will convey those emotions. Look at Colour Field paintings... Those guys are full of angst, but NO ONe will ever know just because they glazed some red on a canvas. You have to consciously Build a composition in a certain way to gain a certain emotion... (I know some [so called]Fine Arts Chumps that would argue that :bash: )

Anyhoo,

If you love art you wouldn't dare abandon it.

If you do then of course you are not an aritst and there is no need to fret.

Just go buy a copy of Star Wars Galaxies and become a fat, greezy man...That's what I'd do!

-Joshua

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JoshuaTheJames For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Art is Dead to me, and I can never go back.
    This is SO F#$king LAME!!!

If that is true then get the HELL off this board...

If you not, Buck Up.. and go buy a new sketchbook. That always makes me happy...heh.

-Joshau

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try to sell the teacher the pile of shit you created and make a buck out of it.

Then go draw something you like.

There are other types of art schools you know...

Power is nothing without intelligence.

Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1) SCHOOL IS BULLSHIT. It teaches you information, but everything else should be ignored wholeheartedly. If you teacher wants fake BS, then shove a paint tube up his ass and draw what you like anyway. You're not there to really learn, if you can already do amazing stuff, you are there for a diploma and a furtherment of your career opportunities. Get the diploma and get out.

2) Tell your teacher that if you wanted to make art that was full of emotion you would go be an art-bum like picasso. But you're not are you? You're normal and want to get a job in an industry where rendering and imagination is more important that ladeling fake emotion onto a canvas.

3)Next time your teacher want you to put more emotion, draw some sloppy sketch where you are strangling them brutally while shouting at them to get off their artsy fartsy fucking high horse.

4) SUCK...IT...UP

5)Don't let go of your dream if you got one bad critique from an artsy fartsy type. That is really weak man, just weak. Get thee a thicker skin.

6)Next time your teacher praises shit like that do this:

-inform them of how long it took.
    -inform them that it was easy as pie to achieve
    -inform them that there was no actual emotion put into it and that it was all done so that they could have their fake orgasm infront of you and embarass themselves with their ignorance.
    -tell them that that artwork will NOT get you hired by any serious company
    -tell them that they should not critique you on anything but technique from that point onwards, as you are uninterested.

If they have a problem with this, then tell them to stick it up their rear entry and go to another art school.

and stop whining, art is not dead, its alive, just as an underground thing. Mainstream media and critics cover nothing but the artsy fartsy crap. YOu have to go past that to places like this and to the actualy serious art industry to see real art. Sure it may be mostly chicks with guns and no shirts, but at least it is well rendered and evokes real emotion.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fuck your teacher, and fuck the angsty posers in your fucking class....

Get the hell out of fine art class, cause it's all shit...take meaningfull ilustration, composition, and anatmoy classes, by a sketchbook and quit the bitchin....

Like everyone else said, BUCK THE FUCK UP and do what you love to do....

oh and i get a red x

BTW, i don't know if you've noticed but their a ton of talented artist on this website that could draw circles around your "tutor" and they are getting paid for it...you're teacher is just jealous that she couldn't compose something so technically well crafted of her own, so she shits in everybody else's cereal who is "better" than her....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just saw the picture you posted, and that what i'm talkin about....

nice pen rendering...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats the wonderful thing about art, there is no right or wrong, there is no step-by-step process, it's what you make of it.

No offense but if you can't hack what one person tells you, maybe you need to think of why that is. Not everyone in the world is going to love your work. Not everyone is going to see what you see. It's a fact.

And maybe the instructor liked your 2nd piece much more is beause you had that fire in your belly, that rage inside of you.

If you quit art, go ahead. I may not have understood everything you had posted, but I gave my opinion on it, take it for what it's worth. Do as you please.

"You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else." - Tyler Durden

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The sad fact with teachers and or students, is understanding the background. Sounds like you were placed in completely the wrong study and it's ripping you up. That's fine, take the course if you feel it will broaden your horizons but if it's not taking you in the right direction....the direction you WANT your art to take, hit the road...

Anyways your going to find ALOT of people who sill stick in their own little world of knowledge and never peek out from that. That is where the trouble comes from beacuse IF they knew anything, they would understand that Art is somthing that grows and changes for better or for worse. Movements change and perspective alters.. and this is how we have so many genres out there. If your teacher is talking to you in ONLY an abstract manner...tell him that and ask again for an opinion... or keep your work the same and get another word from another professer in your school..

Oh just a thought if your pulling yourself out of school...do it before a refund could be refused. So you can put your money in a better school...

draw, draw, erase, repeat

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    :yawns:

Pfssh, right. What do you think people, give this guy a week? month? before he goes back..

Lighten up man. go throw a bucket of paint on you're tutor; theres some art with expression.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    day 1= day 2= :eek: day 3= :ep:

draw, draw, erase, repeat

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some times I feel like I'm no good and that I'm just wasting my time but then I realise that I don't know anything else. I love art no matter what anyone says. I have to do it, i need it to live. Art is my life and I must succeed. If you truly love art then you will realize this and come back to it with your tail between your legs, realizing that it is also YOUr life and you need it to live.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MUIZ--maybe try DRAMA

MY SITE
    available for freelance

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BWAHAHAHA -- funny, tyboogie!

Hey Muiz, ever hear the saying, "Those who can, do....those who can't teach."? Your tutor's art knowledge and expertize is probably very narrow - why don't you get some other peoples opinions, instead of throwing in the towel based on ONE whole review???!?!?

Also, smoke a bowl. You'll relax a bit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SO...

Why don't you cry about it?

WELCOME to the real world, Shirley.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to stalecracker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ra Havok is my idol!!.. but anyhooo... just start drawin again dont care what others say unless it helps... haha i dont care if anyone thinks my art is bad (which it aint great).. haah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Boohoo cry me a river! There are a lot of famous artists that failed before they became famous. Everyone has their hardships in art. You just don't give up. So shutup and get over it you got talent.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I completely understand... I hate all the bullshit art out there and all the pretentious peopel who think that it is great art..

People say art is subjective, but it isn't there is such a thing as good and bad art...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2