Thanks

Wow, shadiness on eBay with loomis.

Just thought this would piss you all off too.. Someone profiting off stuff by loomis that's free now..
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Andrew-Loomis-6-...ht_1900wt_1900

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Sorry, I've not been keeping up - is Loomis Public Domain now?

If he is, then this is perfectly legit. Although anyone who pays for this, or "100 classic novels" or Fleischer Superman cartoons on DVD is an idiot.

Thanks
    I'm not sure Loomis actually is public domain now. I think perhaps the copyright holders just decided not to make an issue out of it: because they are not planning on a reprint, they tolerate the copyright violation.

It would be interesting to see if anyone will buy this set. Perhaps someone that specifically wants the paper version, perhaps as a collectible? Anyone who wants Loomis' books and does a web search for it might well soon notice that his work is now available for free.

But then, an online friend of mine makes his living out of printing public domain works. Sometimes people just prefer a paper version.

Just thought this would piss you all off too.. Someone profiting off stuff by loomis that's free now..
    There's nothing to get pissed off about. The whole point of things becoming public domain is partly so that anyone can profit from it. Shakespeare's plays are public domain. Walk into any bookstore and you'll find printed copies of them - i.e. someone is profiting from it. I think Loomis would have been delighted to see so many people enjoying and benefiting form his work.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by brianvds View Post
    It would be interesting to see if anyone will buy this set. Perhaps someone that specifically wants the paper version, perhaps as a collectible? Anyone who wants Loomis' books and does a web search for it might well soon notice that his work is now available for free.
    The person is attempting to sell the PDF versions of the Loomis books, not the paper versions.

Format PDF Total 540 pages!
    Size 158.103 MB

Thanks
    Not pissed off.
    And do be sure to check out my sketchbook if you have time!
    ketchook
    LinkedIn

Thanks
    I just hate people who take advantage, but then again I have a pretty different view about how art education and the whole passing the baton thing. Dont get me wrong people should be rewarded for hard work but thats just pure laziness taking advantage of people who do not know better. If it were the paper versions, I would mind since he paid to print them, however its the PDFs. I give him credit for the idea but I just dont like to see people who are wanting to learn being taken..

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    All the Loomis books are still under copyright, however, those copyrights are only sporadically enforced as regards the online PDFs.
    Anybody who buys them from this seller is an idiot.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Chow View Post
    The person is attempting to sell the PDF versions of the Loomis books, not the paper versions.
    Ah, in my haste I never noticed! Still not really pissed off about it though. When buying anything at all on the web, the old saying "let the buyer beware" always applies...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DuneFishUK View Post
    Fleischer Superman cartoons on DVD
    Wow, shadiness on eBay with loomis.

Looks worth it to me. As long as it isn't full price. Beh. I just want it in the best quality it can be. Same reason I bought the Popeye collections.

Shame WB probably won't give any thought to giving Out of the Inkwell or it's spin offs this kind of treatment.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    lol theres been 6 bids. man some people... chances are the guy might have three separate accounts just to try and show people its legit.