Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Banksy, art terrorist

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    One of my brother's dogs used to walk while peeing to spell out words in cursive. She was an oracular dog. One time she wrote out "Robert" which is my brother's name.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I saw a piece a few nights ago that I thought was a banksy, but it almost definitely wasn't. It was too basic and random. Anyway, it was a stenciled image of a homeless man sleeping with rats running past him and onto the next wall.

BTW, Does anyone know if any of the Banksy images are still up in SF? I went back to a few of the spots and some of them were painted over.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's so much hype about banksy..
    I'm sorry but I don't find him that amazing. I've seen better street art that that.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jeasus fuck, anyone saying Banksy's work isn't art should be fucking banned from this website. thats the stupidest thing i've ever heard, that dude is a fucking genius and a better artist than MOST of the people here.
    he puts THOUGHT into his work, unlike most of you fucking cock suckers who just draw shit that LOOKS COOL.
    his work has a message, it fucking means something unlike your shallow pointless shit.
    a lot of the time he freehand cuts his stencils RIGHT THERE in the spot he's going to bomb.
    can you do that?

go see the movie "exit through the gift shop".
    fucking amazing film and it'll def/ cause you to question your ideas about what art is. i've always been the guy saying "everyone is an artist, you just have to find your medium, whether that be graffiti, illustration, painting, KNITTING, or SKATEBOARDING"
    that film made me question that philosophy.
    and thats the biggest strength in Banksy's art: it makes you think.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheDirtSyndicate For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So....you watched a movie, and now you know the Truth?

In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtSyndicate View Post
    jeasus fuck, anyone saying Banksy's work isn't art should be fucking banned from this website. thats the stupidest thing i've ever heard, that dude is a fucking genius and a better artist than MOST of the people here.
    he puts THOUGHT into his work, unlike most of you fucking cock suckers who just draw shit that LOOKS COOL.
    his work has a message, it fucking means something unlike your shallow pointless shit.
    a lot of the time he freehand cuts his stencils RIGHT THERE in the spot he's going to bomb.
    can you do that?

fucking amazing film and it'll def/ cause you to question your ideas about what art is. i've always been the guy saying "everyone is an artist, you just have to find your medium, whether that be graffiti, illustration, painting, KNITTING, or SKATEBOARDING"
    He mad

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol hes enraged

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm sure the mishmash of "industrialization is bad" and "corporatism is bad" and "pollution is bad" certainly took him AGES to hit upon...

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So it's not art because it's social and political commentary?

Boy, we're gonna have to break out the art history aren't we?

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckWeisel View Post

Never said it wasn't art, only that the message doesn't seem to have an incredible amount of thought behind it.

The method does though.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckWeisel View Post

Please don't. We've been over this, and the conclusion is final:
    Art means sex drawing.

In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

16. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to squidmonk3j For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheDirtSyndicate For This Useful Post:

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    can you do that?

You're from L.A.

What the hell do you know?

j/k

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    you just raped all art message boards and deviantart.

Yesterday I heard this statement, "all good art present more than what it literally factually presents", which is exactly what you're saying. My teacher also suggested that I look at more artists who do make those kinds of art, so I'm really interested in seeing that documentary now.

can I ask, what do you think about postmodernism though? Their philosophy is that art does not need to be avant-gard, original or thought provoking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow this thread got interesting.

Personally I think Banksy is great, he has not only managed to blur the line between the art establishment and graffiti (two seemingly diametrically opposed forces), but his art also has substance, and takes some serious balls (and skill) to accomplish. I'd stop short of calling him a genius, but he is definitely great.

and zwarrior, it's all about post-postmodernism these days, try to keep up .

bhanu is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    postmodernism
    At times postmodernism is good, it makes you think a bit, but frigging it almost always seems it made our culture nosedive into the pits of hell.
    Their philosophy is that art does not need to be avant-gard, original or thought provoking.
    Most of the times they dont even believe in art.
    Postmodernism exists though and we have accept that, and there are many things about it that are good, the continued skepticism makes you think. The wierd ass installation might make you go "hmmm maybe this is wierd shit, but what about the stuff that I really like, is that any better?".

Dirtysyndicate might have been brutal with that message, but sometimes its the shock that might just make us come out of our own artistic comatose.
    And its not like hes seen a movie, its sometimes you notice these things while you think to yourself" what the fuck am I doing?'
    He has made some very valid points, and if we overlook, we do it at the cost of our artistic growth.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I quite like banksy's work. But people have latched onto him so much its pathetic.
    Than you got all these other douchebags imitating his stuff thinking theyll get the same reception. Frankly im tired of hearing about him and what people do to see/have/sell his stuff. I'd rather just look at perty pictursss.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thats pretty awesome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bhanu View Post
    At times postmodernism is good, it makes you think a bit, but frigging it almost always seems it made our culture nosedive into the pits of hell.

Most of the times they dont even believe in art.
    Postmodernism exists though and we have accept that, and there are many things about it that are good, the continued skepticism makes you think. The wierd ass installation might make you go "hmmm maybe this is wierd shit, but what about the stuff that I really like, is that any better?".
    yeah Postmodernism makes art world seem like a bit of a joke, and the movie "Exit through the gift shop" was amazing!! Not what I thought it would be (I didnt really read anything about it) but so much better.

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,150 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    he puts THOUGHT into his work, unlike most of you fucking cock suckers who just draw shit that looks cool.
    a lot of the time he freehand cuts his stencils right there in the spot he's going to bomb.
    can you do that? ...thats the biggest strength in Banksy's art: it makes you think.
    Anybody who thinks Banksy is a genius or a deep thinker should be banned from everything until they grow up. If Banksy makes you think, you reallllllly haven't been doing much thinking on your own.

EDIT: This is not to say he doesn't do fun stuff. (I laugh at the cro magnon with the burger, fries and shake.) But he's doing political editorials for 20 years olds who shake their fists in the air because the world is neither a perfect place, nor does it think the average 20 year old with a chip on his shoulder is special. And, no matter what happens, that 20 year old still has to grow up and get a job and be part of the dysfunction... which is the only function that pays everybody's bills.

Last edited by kev ferrara; September 26th, 2010 at 06:50 PM.
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    Anybody who thinks Banksy is a genius or a deep thinker should be banned from everything until they grow up. If Banksy makes you think, you reallllllly haven't been doing much thinking on your own.
    There are sooooo many things wrong between those two sentences... I don't even know where to begin.

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,150 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by karma militia View Post
    There are sooooo many things wrong between those two sentences... I don't even know where to begin.
    Begin by reading Schopenhauer's The World as Will and Representation, drawing from life, picking up a book on anatomy, and getting off the net.

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 Times in 3,594 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Banksy makes the world more cheerful by painting in places that other artists fear and makes us think of what is and what could be. He knows his audience and uses it.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    it's the JEEEEEEEEEWS

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Serpian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    C'mon now, graffiti enthusiasts aren't known for their cunning use of language. Obviously Banksy draws the attention of graffiti followers as much as he draws everyone else's. Can't blame him for the fan base.

No pictures so far, that's a shame. One has to admit, the imagery is fun.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's all about fame and $$$
    'good' and 'art' are two words that shouldn't be put in the same sentence, your art either sell and bring you fame or it doesn't - these are facts.
    Anything else being said here about art is personal opinion and is neither true nor false, there's just no point arguing about such stuff...
    It is always nice to hear other opinions though =]
    And yeah, Banksy obviously became some sort of a celebrity probably because of being post-modernistic and such...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Erayo, but it is opinion that gives an art value. If you're art sells and brings you fame, it is because it is "good", in the eyes of those buying or praising it. So good and art are two words that fit very well in the same sentence.

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい! Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,052 Times in 943 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    No, there are also this things called marketing and connections.
    It is very naive to think that the most famous or popular artists are also the most skilled ones.

Having a famous daddy or having extremely wealthy friends can get you far.
    Being well connected in general is a huge bonus.

Assuming that all people buy or like the art based on their very personal taste is naive as well. A huge chunk of people out there don't even know what they are looking at, they will simply go with the flow. Most people will tell you things about art and artist based purely on what they heard from others. It already starts in school, some kids wear certain brands and like certain cartoons and the rest wears and watches the same because if you don't, you don't belong.

The world out there isn't some elitist art forum, if you ask random people who their favorite artist or musician is, many will play save and name some generic shit just to avoid embarrassment.

If the medias tell you that this summer purple is the new fashion color, than purple it is and people will wear purple, no questions asked.
    'popuar' indicates that the masses like it, MacDonald is popular, now if the food at MacDonald is good is another thing.

Regarding Banski,
    i don't know him, have seen his work the first time following the link in this topic.
    Can't say i will count him to my fav artists but he is certainly not bad in what he does and he seems skilled in painting and spraying.
    Some of the pics are clever and most have this certain funny newspaper cartoon feel that i like but genius? i missed the genius part.
    If he freehand cuts his stencils in the middle of the night with half the police force in his back, ok, if that gives him kicks or whatever, cool but i could not care less.

Last edited by Randis; September 26th, 2010 at 10:02 PM.
    Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.