GIMP

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: GIMP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

GIMP

Okay guys give me the skinny.
    What's up with GIMP? Is it a waste of time or is PS a waste of money.

Last edited by Arshes Nei; August 19th, 2010 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Might want to read the rules and be grateful I didn't ban you right off the bat.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just installed Ubuntu and started using GIMP the other day. Last night was the first time I ever really edited in it, I threw together this picture of me and my nephew to see what GIMP could do. It looks reasonable, about the same as PSP, Photoshop, etc. It's just frustrating sometimes to learn where everything is and to learn new ways to do old things, heh. Excellent program for being free though.

GIMP

4. The Following User Says Thank You to manlybrian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If your primary use of the program is drawing and painting then Corel Painter will be a better choice than either -- I got a full legal version for $200... do a bit of searching and you may find a better price.

If you intend to do alot of photo-editing/manipulation then Gimp is just fine.

The core functionality of Photoshop hasn't changed one bit since I started using it in version 3 (almost 15 years ago) and gimp has most of those same functions.

Best,
    Jason.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you're not making any money off Painter and merely want to learn. Get the Academic version. The only difference is the splash logo and the EULA (which asks you do not use the software to make profitable/commercial use images). It runs $99

But since you're asking about Gimp, it's really only worth it if you add in GPS and Gimp for Painters to make something more reasonable.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=167429

My Paint is another free alternative.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The name of the program should clue you in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Portus View Post
    The name of the program should clue you in.
    Haha, but what about "Dogwaffle"?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Haha, but what about "Dogwaffle"?
    Never used Dogwaffle, Gimp on the other hand is like they have to show it's freeware by making Gimp's interface really hard to use and confusing, just figuring out how to save in the format I wanted was a challenge.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gimp + mypaint + http://registry.gimp.org/taxonomy/term/797 is a great combo.

* actually the Gimp isn't freeware, its free open source software. There's a difference. 2.8 when it comes out, either late this year/early next, will be a huge improvement over the current version.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to John Q Lethargic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have seen some pretty impressive work done in GIMP, especially with the painting add on. I'm going to keep trying, unfortunatly it's taken me most of the last couple weeks just to get used to using Linux (lots to learn, but worth it, I hope) and getting my damn tablet to function correctly with the new OS. Still haven't figured out how to set up the wacom control panel (options panel).
    (the name is horrible by the way, who cares if the acronym works, don't call your program by a word used previously as an insult. durp)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Never used Dogwaffle, Gimp on the other hand is like they have to show it's freeware by making Gimp's interface really hard to use and confusing, just figuring out how to save in the format I wanted was a challenge.
    iirc. There was an option to change the interface, via Plug in and such. Already mentioned is that the interface/gui is being updated. MDI being one of them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multipl...ment_interface

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually here is a nice article on the improvements http://www.gimpusers.com/tutorials/g...pril-2010.html

They're not really pushing the field so to speak, but I think 2.8 will be more acceptable to more users.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following

I've been playing with Gimp as of late and have to agree-- the interface is actually user hostile!

But, if you read the included Gimp User Manual, there's a certain amount of honesty regarding the user hostility of Gimp.

But, for free, and with a bit of reading of the manual, and with a lot of trial and error, Gimp's not too awful!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I keep installing GIMP once a year with hope that it improved enough so that I could switch to it. To me the awful interface is not actually the problem beacause I can customize some things and use keyboard shortcuts most of the time. It also has the most options I need.

The only thing that prevents me from using it is the performance. For photo editing stuff, copying/pasting and adjusting colors it might be enough but when you paint high resolution image (for print) with several layers and some textured brushes, it's unbearable to see lag after every single brushstroke. In Photoshop you get super lag when there's maybe high resolution image with 50 layers and 200px wide brush used while in GIMP you got that with 2 layers and average sized brush. I hope that the GIMP team will keep focusing on that in future.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, it's been a while now since I created this thread and I've had plenty of time to play with GIMP. I don't like it at all. I have not tried the Mypaint addition, but I don't honestly see myself wasting more time with it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What do you not like?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't know what's wrong with interface really. Works for me. I probably would find PS interface hostile too if I switched and immediately wanted to do everything like I'm used too. Mypaint is worth trying, easy and intuitive but it shines in combo with Gimp as Johny Q mentioned.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.