Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Tim learns to draw and would like your help!

Hey Everyone,

I'm Tim, and I'm a CS student from up in Washington. I started drawing in June of 2010 (and actually started getting serious in January 2012) with absolutely no skill at all, and I think I've gotten slightly better since. I'd like to work in animation, cartooning, or illustration. I have no idea yet!

Most of this first page stuff is kinda old, new stuff begins on the fifth page.

Comments or critiques? Feel free! I'd love to hear what you have to say so I can better direct my learning.
    Last edited by Tim Murphy; August 8th, 2012 at 01:40 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    It's good that you've made this step! It's great to hear that you're drawing, just keep it up and remember that persistence is the KEY to getting better.

Now my critique: Your sense of form isn't too shabby, and I see you are working on individual body parts which is cool (it is necessary to do studies like you're doing, so good job so far). I'd say just simplify for now though and work on mastering fundamentals such as the basic forms; for example, let's see how you render a simple sphere and its cast shadow for now and then we can spot the problems in that before moving on, etc. Simple forms will allow you to see the problems easier before complicating it with anatomy.
    As for anatomy, it's something that takes years to master, so just keep it up day after day doing studies of real people, anatomy books, Bridgman, Loomis, Vilppu, etc.
    Also, be sure to draw from life a lot to learn even more.

It's really hard to make a good critique at this stage, especially only seeing a few parts of the figure that you've drawn, but I can tell you that it's a good start. I'd definitely like to see more, so keep drawing!

Perhaps to keep things simple you may want to make a daily schedule to start out, something to do every day such as:

A life drawing
    A drawing from imagination
    A drawing from reference / master copy
    Read and draw from art books
    Anatomy

That's a general schedule that can keep you organized and put variety into your studies to keep you on the right track. Keep it up!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeremygordon89 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey Jeremy,

Thanks for your reply and ideas. A schedule like that is exactly what I'm looking for to give myself some organization; so far I've noticed that I'm usually lost on what I should be drawing, so it helps a lot.

I believe the shapes are (correct me if I'm wrong) a sphere, cube, cylinder, and cone. I'll try to pull those together tomorrow and see if I can't get some work on those up tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Hey welcome! Just saw this as I updated mine.

I agree with the things Jeremy has mentioned.

I'm a shocker with hands, but the on you drawn on that second last one is quite appealing. You got hold of the form very well in that, I like it.

You could also work on the tonal range of that last one, its seems too flat with mid-range grey tone, but otherwise a good start!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to seungy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I like that last pic. You could do with a little more contrast. Don't be afraid to make mistakes and explore! Kudos to you for taking the initiative to post a sketchbook up here Bring a sketchbook everywhere you go if you're serious on improving, and draw everywhere (and I mean everywhere and anytime you can.) I usually like to draw people on the subway. You will definitely improve over time if you practice.

Daily Sketchbook
    Come by and have a peep

9. The Following User Says Thank You to willdraw4food For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Seungy and Willdraw4food.

I wish I could do hands like that each time, but I think I just got real lucky on that one, normally they don't look very nice (I did buy a separate 100-page SB just for hands though, figured it would be a fun project.) I see what you mean about how it looks kind of flat, I'll try for more values next time.

I had a question Willdraw4food, or anyone else who can answer it; While I intend to bring a sketchbook with me wherever I go to practice, has it ever bothered (not quite the word I'm looking for) someone if you drew them? Maybe I'm over-thinking it

Thanks
    Haha, good question. It's ok, I'm sure everyone have issues with that. For me I'll try to be discreet about it, practice that sideway glance movement or pretending you're drawing something else. I've never exactly had an issue with people noticing that I'm drawing them, some of them even pose for me xD which kinda defeats the purpose of life drawing lol. Some people might be flattered that you're drawing them too. Just keep cool about it and it'll be fine

Daily Sketchbook
    Come by and have a peep

Thanks
    August the 16th

Well, here I am again.

I couldn't sleep for some reason last night, so needless to say I haven't been at 100%. Regardless, I attempted to buckle down and try my hand at the sphere form and..uh...the results are below. I can clearly see that I have a weakpoint with forms (I haven't tried a cube and cylinder yet, but I expect similar results), just gives me something to work on I suppose! Also, I probably shouldn't have used a medium I'm unfamiliar with (charcoal), but again, something to work on.

In good news, I've started studying Glenn Vilppu's stuff. So far I've only done the basic gesture, but I like it so far (I haven't posted any full figure work as I have none, the full figure has been a challenge for me, so I'm hoping this helps). With any luck, I'll be able to get some energy back and I'll attempt to tackle some 30ish second gesture drawings, should be fun. I might post them, but I'm sure anyone who is reading this has seen plenty of those before.

I'm rambling again, sorry 'bout that.

Thanks
    Looks like you have a really good start You've got a good sense of form, especially for just starting out.
    Life drawing would probably help you the most right now, are there any classes you can take? Bringing a sketchbook with you is a great idea. I've found if you go to beaches, coffee shops, etc, most people won't even notice you're drawing them. You'll have the occasional person come who notices you're drawing other people, makes a comment like "cool!" and then leaves. I've never had anyone be creeped out or anything.
    Keep practising

Thanks
    Hey all,

I've been having trouble for the past hour with a pose, so I decided to post these while I attempt to figure this out. First up we have more attempts at balls. I couldn't figure out the bottom most ones shadow, so in the interest of my sanity I just put something down for the time being. The topmost was done in haste (about two minutes) and I don't recall how long the middle one took.

Additionally, an attempted drawing from a reference. I think I'm going to go study the spheres part of Vilppu now to see if that will give me an upper hand against my current troubles.

Sacari: There are life-drawing classes around here, but the ones I've found so far are at times that I can't possibly be there. The search continues I suppose.

EDIT: Sidenote, what level should I be at before I start Bridgman's figure drawing?
    Last edited by Tim Murphy; August 17th, 2010 at 08:47 PM.

Thanks
    I didn't expect to make any post today as I really should be studying for my calc final tomorrow, but this was more interesting.

I stumbled upon Seedling's "Perspective 101" so I started working on that, hopefully I'll be able to get to the others soon. So here's my shot at one point perspective.

Also, I think I'm going to need to buy a T-square.

EDIT: Now with twice the perspective! That top one seems wrong to me, this requires investigation. Also, there will most likely not be an update tomorrow, so don't take that as a sign of me quitting.

Man, those lines did not come through well at all, I'll try a different pencil next time.
    Last edited by Tim Murphy; August 18th, 2010 at 08:38 PM.

Thanks
    Awesome start! The foot study is great.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to masterphil31 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Couldn't stand studying anymore so I continued Seedling's Perspective 101 tutorial (found here) by doing three-point perspective.

Unfortunately to get the item onto the scanner, I had to remove the sections that had the points.

Will try some life-drawing on the busses today, quick gestures, hope it goes well.

Thanks
    You tell me you're not all that good yourself!? What are you talking about? You're doing very well so far, so much better than me. You have a good understanding of shape and mass and have chosen a very solid way to practice, little by little. The perspective studies can only help when you decide to move on to more complicated shapes so good call on investing time with these exercises.
    Last edited by Antgirl; August 20th, 2010 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Internet crashed-not complete
    "Why explore the distant planets when my own mind is a mystery and an adventure in itself." S. Rios

"There is no bigger world or greater reality than your own imagination." S. Rios

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Antgirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hello again,

No post yesterday, my bad. I've brought more perspective stuff: Three-point using non-parallel shapes, Three-point with the centerpoint of each side found, and one-, two, and three-point shapes all on one page.

I've been trying to do gestures and the like, but the part of my brain that gets annoyed by my mistakes seems to be rearing its ugly head. Maybe I'll just switch to a harder pencil so I can't erase my mistakes, hah. Any suggestions?

I've got Figure Drawing: Design and Invention By Michael Hampton on the way, should be exciting.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast