Sketchbook: Tim learns to draw and would like your help! - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Tim learns to draw and would like your help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Rhubix, Omerta, Adrian: I'm terribly sorry, I completely spaced and forgot to visit your sketchbooks as well, I'll be sure to take care of that

Had a few really hectic and exhausting days, so I couldn't really fit in much more than anatomy studies and a self-portrait. I'll be expanding my anatomy stuff to include heads and hands for now. Need some more skullwork.

AAAAND I just realized I cropped the hand studies for no apparent reason, so that's missing about 3/4 of that. Derp.

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Skyrim. Whoa damn.

Having said that, here's some hand studies and head studies. The Raphael stuff went terribly today, oh well. And a self-portrait that actually looks pretty close. I think I'm going to try to do a self-portrait a day for the rest of November, toying with different mediums for them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet studies mate, it would be good to see more finals/imagination pieces cus u have some nice ones you've done on page 3 and stuff. Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by A Faux View Post
    Sweet studies mate, it would be good to see more finals/imagination pieces cus u have some nice ones you've done on page 3 and stuff. Keep it up
    Thanks. I've definitely been thinking about it.

Let's see...Bridgman hands and head, hands from imagination, and some figures from imagination, as well as the third self-portrait.

"But Tim!" You say, "Where is the second?" Well from the second I decided to try to do it in oils, quickly realizing (an hour and a half or so later) that I had no damn idea what I was doing, I had already pretty much ruined it. So I'm not even going to bother photographing that...thing, I fear it might come alive or something. I will definitely try them again sometime in the next 15 days or so, but first I need to study how.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Exciting week. Random snowstorm blew in, must be because of all the people playing Skyrim.

Here's the self-portraits for the 15th (graphite, and a good dose of neck cramps), 17th (pen), and 18th (white chalk on black paper). Unfortunately I didn't get one done on the 16th, ah well. Also some Bridgman hands.

I'm thinking of mixing my schedule up starting tomorrow, which will give me extra time in the day for drawing, which I will use for imagination stuff. Oh, I also got a copy of Gombrich's The Story of Art, so that should be a fun read.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whenever I look at someone's sketchbook, and I see pages and pages of from-the-book studies, I always say: Its great that you're using the book to help you improve, but sometimes you gotta put it down and work without the crutch, remember the whole point of using the book: so you can get better without one, you think Picasso did all his work from a book? Of course not! You gotta practice the skills you've learnt.
    You're doing well, keep drawing

EXPERIENCE: I've done exactly what I've told you not to myself, if you become to reliant on a book, you sometimes find you cant work without one.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Barefoot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RyNSWOrLD View Post
    Whenever I look at someone's sketchbook, and I see pages and pages of from-the-book studies, I always say: Its great that you're using the book to help you improve, but sometimes you gotta put it down and work without the crutch, remember the whole point of using the book: so you can get better without one, you think Picasso did all his work from a book? Of course not! You gotta practice the skills you've learnt.
    You're doing well, keep drawing

EXPERIENCE: I've done exactly what I've told you not to myself, if you become to reliant on a book, you sometimes find you cant work without one.
    I hear that, got to avoid the whole "eternal student" deal. Finally starting to figure that out and just working out of my head, going surprisingly well. In fact, I'm going to start doing the CoWs and ChoWs.

Hell week is done now, so I should be able to return to my regular updating schedule. But for now, here's three more self-portraits (missing yesterday and today, I just can't look at my face anymore), some Bridgman hands, four hands from life, and a figure from out of my head.

Been doing some thumbnailing for a picture I want to do, kinda cliche, but it's Cthulhu. I was reminded while watching Noah Bradley the other day that I want to work on the Arkham Horror line at some point, so I figure mess around in the setting now?

Now if you don't mind, I need some sleep.

Last edited by Tim Murphy; November 24th, 2011 at 11:17 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Went out of town for the holiday, but I'm back now.

Thumbnail for the aforementioned picture, some octopus studies, and trying to come up with how I want Cthulhu to look. Think I've got the idea, so I should hopefully have that fleshed out tomorrow, as well as the general scene.

Not going to continue with studying hands out of the books, because I was honestly using them as a crutch. Still going to at least touch on the hips and legs though, as I don't really know what's going on there, might post those.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, so I thought I was approaching the end of the sketch, but looking at my thumbnail I'm not happy with these at all, so I hope to redo them tomorrow. Lost of good chunk of the thumb's energy I feel.

Additionally, some Bridgman legs and drawings from life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reworking the sketch, then bringing in some reference, and then the final linework. Rendering tomorrow. I'm actually not sure if I like the angle of the figure in the front, keep flipping back and forth between 3-4 ways.

Kind of "unofficially" participated in this weeks CHOW, to try something outside of my comfort zone. Unofficially because it was finals week, and I wasn't sure how much time I could devote (turns out, not a whole lot). Think I'll try officially doing it this week though, should be fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, here's the finished Cthulhu. Unfortunately the scanner kind of removed all the contrast, so it looks a bit flatter than it actually is, tried to fix it in photoshop.

Did a couple pages of thumbnails and then a few larger sketches for the CHOW. However, I completely misread the time it was due, so I don't think there's any possibility of me actually making a finished image by then. I'll probably still do it and just post it here but...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Back from visiting my family, so here's a week or so of stuff and then hair/beard studies from today. Had a rather pathetic uploading schedule recently, hope to change that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't really feel like posting the other stuff I've done the past few days, don't really like how any of them came out. Ah well. Some random portrait from imagination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    in response to the Cthulu piece:

it's important to characterize people/monsters/animals/etc. by emphasizing their qualities. Cthulu is supposed to be giant and intimidating. you got the giant part right, but his body looks like it belongs to a couch potato. his pectorals, obliques, etc. are rounded and somewhat flabby looking. it's important to find the balance of organic and geometric shapes to give the piece vigor; don't be afraid to make his muscles chiseled like rock, but don't neglect the form of them.

concerning the man in the bottom left, he appears to be screaming in anguish/dementia. the way his hands lie on the side of his head make him look more shocked. someone who is being driven insane grips and tears at their hair, their a bit more dynamic. they cover their heads with the arms to shield themselves from what they fear, things like that.

each figure in a work should tell a story. I like the man with the gun, it says a lot about his personality. you have the basic idea behind characterization, you just need to refine it.

you're making good progress; keep it up and good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did a bit more to the above guy, and then some CHOW stuff. Attempted to figure out the figure from more extreme angles today (above, worm's eye). No real luck, more attempts soon.

People are slowly filtering back into town, so I'll actually be able to draw from real people again, yay!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thumbnails and a structure sketch from them. Not really happy with it after waking up, want to adjust the angle to be looking more up. Maybe I'll try one of the other thumbs. Value study for a still-life painting I'm going to try. And value studies using the wacom to try to build up proficiency with it.

And I've all but confirmed that there's no life drawing/open model possibilities within 100 miles, fantastic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just some 1 minute gestures and the CHoW entry today. Nothing much to say.

Edit: Shoot, I just remembered I forgot all of my stuff from life. I'll have to get that up tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not feeling very creative lately, so I started painting the still-life and worked on some gesture drawings. Trying to use fewer lines to show the movement and twisting that previously, slowly getting there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I've taken this stage of the still life as far as I can at the moment, it still feels "off" but I'm not really sure how to progress on it any further. Tried looking at in in a mirror which helped with some angles, didn't look at it for a day to see it with fresh eyes, etc. Maybe I'll see something in a day or two. If I can't, I'll likely just move on to glazing.

People from life.

Gave a shot at some digital linework, aptitude with that is crazy low.

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good to see a still life amongst your other studies as they do help with form. The bowl is a bit misshaped. Maybe check the ellipse on your computer before continuing.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    Good to see a still life amongst your other studies as they do help with form. The bowl is a bit misshaped. Maybe check the ellipse on your computer before continuing.
    I kept feeling like something was off around that area. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll look into it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice still life painting! Only useful thing I can say is: try to push your values more in your drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there! Thanks for dropping by my sketchbook. I am amazed by the number of studies you have here. The traditional still life is really good. I recently read The Call of Cthulhu too, so i can see the effort you made on the Cthulhu drawing. Keep on going man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, thanks for posting in my Sketchbook! (And for the advice on the hands, it's been very helpful.)

I'm...not really sure if I have anything helpful to say, other than that I'm diggin' Cthulu. Cliche or not, that's a good drawing. Make sure to keep it up with the studies and still life stuff, because it really does help later. I agree that the bowl is a little off with its shape, but other than that...

All in all, great stuff. Keep drawing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Zant: That's definitely something I need to work on. I'd say it's the scanner's fault, but it's only partly it's fault. I sometimes catch myself going too light, guess I just need to approach it more thoroughly. Thanks for the tip.
    @Shaman: Thanks for stopping by!
    @Lee: Glad to hear it helped out. Thanks for swingin' by.

So I thought I'd try something a little different and did some quick environmental paintings digitally to work on my tablet proficiency and color selection. Worked on the ellipse of the bowl as per Blackspot's suggestion, it's still not quite there, but it's closer. And then some quick (dead) trees from life, shame that all I really have to work with are branches right now but...what're you gonna do, it's winter and 10F out.

My copy of Spectrum 18 showed up today and, well, damn.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's good to see you progressing! I think your rendering skills are improving pretty well. Having said that, I think you need to keep doing the studies that you are, but mix in some studies of basic geometric constructs to help strengthen your perspective. Also try mixing in some constructed heads (block method or sphere.. whatever works) along with your freeform heads. I don't think it hurts to practice heads without construction.. but it does help do draw some with it. I like Bridgman for this because he shows angular construction planes to help explain both structure and the light/shadow properties.
    Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook and I hope to see more out of you too

I saw that you're also playing a bit of video games.. A quote from Cryptcrawler "what do I have to do to be a great concept artist? What are you willing to give up? ...put down the controller"
    I was playing 60-80 hours a week of games.. imagine if all of that time had been spent on making myself a better artist :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Much better, even though not perfect. Next push it hard. Take progress pictures, but push it as far as you can , even it means you wreck it. By looking back you then can see where a problem started and what to do on the next one.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @4ton, I'd say it varies on whether I use the head form or not. I _usually_ lay down at least the very basic shape, but occasionally I use the full construction. I'm finding the ones based solely on construction tend to feel lifeless, so I think I have to find a happy medium.

Heh. That's a great quote, I like it. The sad (or maybe not so sad ) truth is with school, work, art, and life in general I'm lucky to get a few hours in to game a week. Thanks for swinging by!

@Black Spot, Will do, I'm okay with wrecking it so long as I get something out of it. Course, I'd prefer not to, but I won't be all broken up about it. Thanks.

Still doing some digital stuff, tried out some figures really trying to focus on how the muscles and skin are influencing the shading. Male is still in progress.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Put the light source direction on and try to think of the figures as more of a series of boxes, cylinder etc. It helps a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone,

Apologies for not updating (and not replying). I ended up having to take on a fourth class for the past month or so and it killed any time that I had, so I've mainly only been squeezing in about 20 minutes of gestures a day and...I don't really like posting those. So that's that. Should now be able to resume normal posting/commenting.

The "final" of the male (apologies Blackspot, I did not see your comment), and a few of the life stuff from my pocket sketchbook. Also I started glazing the still-life, only the faintest idea what I'm doing so I'm actively making it worse, but I think I'll be able to salvage it using glazes to beef up the shadows.

Worth a try I guess.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4