Sketchbook: here is My humble sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: here is My humble sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool here is My humble sketchbook

well i just discovered this fantastic website, and im not sure how it works, anyways i am starting a sketchbook thread to share my work, and get constructive critics from you thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice digital work! Need to see some more of those (: a journey ahead of you, keep it coming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well here is a fan-art i made of Metroid.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For some reason the stuff won't show up for me.. Maybe it's the website you hosted the images at?

I use imageshack.us and it has worked greatly.

Best (but slowest) way is to use the attachments.. which I never can be bothered enough to use.

edit: the newest piece works though (cause it's in attachments)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Loathsome For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Angry

this is a snake-rat i did some time ago, it is meant to be a rat's dream, i was testing my fur skills T_T i really need to improve that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

this is a project i was working on, but i never finished it, i still have it as a sketch i will finish some day. its a pharasaurolopus

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Angry

well this was my very first illustration, i didnt have any tablet back then, so i did it with a mouse and a scenner, it have a big sentimental value as it was the work that introduced me in this illustration world.

i actually made a video WIP, here is the link:

part 1 = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMgOEyHqEuQ
    part 2 = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjEoP...eature=related

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got some cool ideas man just keep workin and workin and I bet we could see some amazing stuff out of you.

The snake-rat image has an interesting style. It's sort of hyper detailed. Perhaps try showing more detail with less strokes as an experiment though (ie don't show every individual hair or whatever).

In any case good luck man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    can you show me some examples of that fur effect?, like adding fur to some parts instead of filling everything.

thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hay man, not bad work, keep at it.
    I've mentored a few friends for a while who were around the same level as you, they weren't really interested in improving and made excuses.
    However I'll give you some tips. Also check out the tutorial section, there are some good videos.
    When drawing in photoshop, when using textures, apply the texture, than on a layer above it paint over it, this is so the texture wont look flat, just a couple of highlights here and there . Give it ago
    Ive noticed youre using the smudge tool quite a lot, try this. Use a round hard brush on a low opacity (<90%) and keep your hand on the Alt (colour picker) tab. That way you can apply a bit of colour and it will blend into the background colour. Build it up gradually. (As in, you lay the colour [lets say %20 opacity brush], press Alt, colour pick that colour, than lay the new colour you just picked and repete.)

Also, dont use pure black for your shadows, it works on silhouettes but it flattens the figure. So instead, try to use a more saturated but darker colour on the figure that may already be on there. Like on that metroid drawing, the shadows would have more of a blue-purple look.
    As for pure white, try not to use it a lot, it pokes holes into pictures. Go close to white, like a very very light yellow or blue, it wont jump out as much.
    Just have a quick drawing test with some of those pointers. See if it helps a bit. But take good long look at how others do it, and try to imitate it onto your own work.
    (:b My mentoring would be something like that, feel free to ask me or anyone else if you need a pointer)

Heres a good list of tutorial places, I recomend Idrawgirls.com.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=190982

Last edited by Nonobot; August 17th, 2010 at 06:59 AM. Reason: just a small edit

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nonobot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    is there any easier way to talk? like a chat or something? i dont know i saw your sketchbook and i think you are the right person , those 4 illustrations are pretty much all what i have done, the problem is that i feel like im doing things the wrong way, well i would like to know if there is any chat possibility, like facebook, msn, skype, whatever you use.

thanks a lot, i guarantee you i wont be like your past friends, i really want to improve, even though its a hobbie, i kind of want to become a pro without going to an art school (i know it takes way more time, but i think its fine).

thanks again
    talk to you soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Post your CHOW Wips and stuff man :b

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i just finished this college semester and now i will be able to start posting again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Xeinnex

Without hogging the challenge threads.

Need to intentionally build experience with materials and how they behave. Not just in theory but experience.

Copying literally, means you resist the urge to paint what you think you should, instead you accurately try to match the shape tone and color of the areas and marks you see on the object or picture you are copying. When you are satisfied that you have matched the picture then you will notice that you learn little bit's of the way things really should look like or behave, the larger your experience is with reality the better your abillities will become working from imagination. Still lifes as I once assumed was because people liked to look at fruit and stuff. That's not the purpose, it's so the artist get's to know the behaviour of light etc. Even if you don't wan't to be a realist painter, the best non realist painters breaks the rules but they know the rules first.

You know the classic orb shading diagram with the shadow, core shadow, drop shadow and reflect light?. Copy the photo of a cue ball or something as accurately as possible. I was lazy and skipped that thinking that I knew what was going on there but that wasn't enough, its as if you have to draw or copy something before you really know it. After some time you might never do this again as you could become proficient with all materials and environments to a satisfying degree.

Add more vocabulary to your understanding
    - color
    - chroma
    - saturation
    - value
    - Shadow
    - Reflect light
    - hot/cold

Try to notice and see these inside your still life's/copies and note how they behave, compare stuff, compare objects, environment changes etc. If there's something that you visually see happening in your still life or picture and you are not quite sure what is causing it, then ask or try to figure it out, that's the way we learn.

Hope to see you kick some ass soon.

----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to George Abraham For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.