color to music relation

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

color to music relation

Hello everyone.

I'd like to discuss and ask few questions on light-sound relation in art.
    I already asked some of them here, but this section seems more open and free for discussion.

So, as you may know, sound and light are waves, and tone of sound comes from wave frequency. So if we take light as waves and compare it's frequency to sound, there is about one octave of waves that human percepts with eyes.

Colors inside Fletcher's palette are white piano keys, and outside are black piano keys.
    The author says it's wrong to bind notes to particular colors, but ok to use colors in octave correlation.

In the following source green is marked as "C" note
    http://www.lunarplanner.com/Harmonic...harmonics.html

Can we rotate palette and make a red color as "G" major, or forget about green mark and count it as "C"? (sorry if wrong I'm not musician)

Is it right to use rotated palette with not red as major? Does non-spectral magenta, black, gray and white require any special care?
    Should we use palette as wheel or just one octave?
    How do we get white light, is it interference of multiple waves ?
    And if there are musicians around here, please share what you know of possibilities inside one octave.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There is no direct, universal correspondence between color and music. Any system that seeks to establish one is either arbitrary, mystical, or both. Value schemes are often refereed to in terms of major and minor keys (high and low contrast), but this is a metaphor. Some people with synesthesia do experience a relationship between certain sounds and colors, but there is no consistency between individuals as to exactly what the correspondences are.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is no direct, universal correspondence between color and music. Any system that seeks to establish one is either arbitrary, mystical, or both. Value schemes are often refereed to in terms of major and minor keys (high and low contrast), but this is a metaphor. Some people with synesthesia do experience a relationship between certain sounds and colors, but there is no consistency between individuals as to exactly what the correspondences are.
    But what if we don't count in perception difference, and compare them by wavelength ? Isn't frequency one of the universal correspondences ?

Synesthesia seems to be brain stimulation issue, interesting but can't bind it to anything so far. Will read it through, thanks for info.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I always find great inspiration in music. Normaly the ones thats instrumental works better for me then the one where there is singing.
    Been trying to find a way to combine the two, as most of what i do is so entwined in my head when im working on it.
    I dont know if 1 tone = 1 colour. Its more 1 set of tones, or combination/sequence = state of mind = colour for me at lest.
    So i would love to see / hear what you're comming up with.

My Sketchbook http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=239346

-In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.-

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There are no "universal correspondences" between the way the brain processes sound and vision. They are two totally separate sensory systems.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nocebo, thanks for your interest.
    Music and inspiration are connected to how the brain works and its hemispheres.
    Left hemisphere works with predefined symbols, part of which are words, right works with unstructured information and sometimes is related to creativity.
    Music overwhelms the left side cause it can't relate music to any symbol, and gives control to right side which binds anything to anything.
    Music has rhythm and dynamics, which drive artist in to describe what he hears, in other words magic.
    Still left side is pretty cool too, if person has rich life experience and can see beyond symbols.

Yeah, I get what you mean Elwell. Just don't have info to convince myself, perhaps I'd think same way later, but not clever enough to believe it right now.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.