Sketchbook: NiyanaMae's Journey - ARC 2013 Placement & First Painting Attempts: 9/18/2013

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks

NiyanaMae's Journey - ARC 2013 Placement & First Painting Attempts: 9/18/2013

Hey guys,

Even though I lack the proper motivation and skills to keep in step with those who post every piece of art produced, often on a daily or weekly basis, I decided to go ahead and begin this thread. I deeply regret losing my original thread that showcased my journey of how I began studying drawing on my own, before I entered an Atelier 2 years ago. However, what is done is done. I, as we all, must begin again each day as if it were the first.

I have been attending the School of Representational Art in Chicago, IL for 2 years. It has been quite a journey, one that required a great deal of faith. However, I am here and I am very very thankful to the Lord for what I have learned and gained thus far as well as excited about where this journey will lead.

I am about to begin studying again, entering my 3rd year at the atelier. I am just beginning painting and a 100% complete newbie in this area. This should be an interesting year.

As I progress, I hope to be an encouragement to others as well as provide any useful tips. Though I do not post much, I often read through other artist threads and find many extremely encouraging and insightful. We do not have enough time to waste to make all the mistakes ourselves so it is immensely important to study the trials and errors of others to save ourselves time and a great deal of frustration (though that will come anyways, but hopefully we will receive less of it).

I plan on keeping this thread updated, even if it is not every day or week. I will post images I have done over the last 2 years exclusively at SORA, as well as many images done previous to SORA.

love,
    Lara

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by NiyanaMae; September 18th, 2013 at 02:23 PM. Reason: add image
    "The Lord illuminates my darkness. "
    - 2 Samuel 22:29

Sketchbook /Website

Connect with me on Facebook!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to NiyanaMae For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The early years

This is where I first began my artistic journey: the world of anime drawing. These images were done 8-10 years ago.! (It is insane when you realize how long you have been on this journey). I am only selecting a few to give you an example, but I have tons and tons of sketchbooks filled with anime drawings.

I feel it is important to show people that everyone begins somewhere and more often than not, that somewhere is usually very ugly and unrefined. But, improvement comes with practice and perseverance.

Starting with the earliest and moving forward...

Last edited by NiyanaMae; August 15th, 2010 at 12:59 AM.

Sketchbook /Website

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NiyanaMae For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Pre-atelier work

For a couple years I moved away from drawing. Slowly, as my life settled, I began refocusing on drawing. I learned that in order to better draw anime (a bending of the rules of figure drawing, you may say) I must first learn how to draw the figure.

I enrolled in a couple of community college classes. Drawing, painting, mixed-media. I learned some more basics, but nothing was saved. I was not progressing towards creating Concept Art or Illustration as I had first desired -every teacher seemed more focused on the emotional content behind a creative work instead of the actual skills needed to produce great artwork. I moved towards the world of Graphic Design in hopes of receiving an Associates and later moving into Illustration on a BA level at another school. Neither happened.

Another year or so went by, away from college and focused on other areas in my life, mainly working full time and learning how to be a good wife to my husband.

Basically, this brings us to where I was 4 years ago (2006). Returning to the art field, this time as a serious artist with a deeper desire now to do artwork to glorify God, I began seriously pursuing creating art as the Old Masters had.

I enrolled in a workshop online and then later began studying online at The Academy of Art College in CA. I also began learning more and more about ateliers and knew this was the type of school I had been seeking. Unfortunately, there was not one within 100 miles of where I lived. But I knew this was where I needed to study. The following year (now fall of 2007), was pretty insane. My husband and I moved out of state from TN to Chicago, IL due to a job offer he received. I spent the next year studying on my own (this included drawings from pictures and getting my feet wet in the world of Bargue drawings), preparing to enter the atelier world in the Fall of 2008 at which time I would be beginning at The School of Representational Art in Chicago.

The images below begin with the earliest drawings from the online workshop and my semester at the Academy of Art college and the next post will show the progress to my independent self studies and Bargue drawings before beginning my training at the SORA atelier.

Last edited by NiyanaMae; August 15th, 2010 at 02:07 AM. Reason: add images

Sketchbook /Website

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NiyanaMae For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Bargue drawings

I'm trying to seperate the posts a little so it is not as confusing.

This is a continuation from the last post showcasing my progression to independent studies and Bargue drawings that I did the year to year and a half before beginning at SORA in 2008.

Sketchbook /Website

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NiyanaMae For This Useful Post:

Thanks

SORA - the first two years

Most students who begin at an atelier spend their first two years entirely focused on drawing. I believe this is essential to training your eyes to see.

Two years ago, in the Fall of 2008, I began at the School of Representational Art (SORA). In a couple of weeks summer will be over and I will be returning for my 3rd year of study. Here are some select works out of everything I accomplished, by God's grace alone (seriously, it was a hard first two years!!), the first two years of study at SORA. I will continue to update with more images as I collect them and photograph them for my own records.

love,
    lara

Sketchbook /Website

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NiyanaMae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    amazing progress. Keep it up the good work

Thanks
    Thanks Diego. I appreciate your encouragement.

love,
    lara

Sketchbook /Website

14. The Following User Says Thank You to NiyanaMae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice to find another Chicagoan (?) around. Great progress, just keep it up.

Thanks
    It is nice! You should check out the Chicago Sketch group thread... a guy named Jason has kept it from dieing for years, since before I moved to Chicago 3 years ago, with a desire for us to begin meeting regularly as a sketch group.

Do you live in the city? I live way out in the NW suburbs, but I commute to go to my atelier in the city.

- Lara

Sketchbook /Website

17. The Following User Says Thank You to NiyanaMae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    really nice SB
    looking forward to see your progress

Thanks
    I definitely had that anime start XD, but the stuff your making now is awesome, your art has really transformed. keep up the realism studies!

Thanks
    Nice work, your recent cast and figure drawing look awesome

Thanks
    Just getting better and better NiyanaMae. Some really nice studies.

__________________________________________________ __________

Nick Harris illustration http://nickillus.com/ SKETCHBOOK GALLERY
    __________________________________________________ __________

Thanks
    Hey guys,

First things first...

andres333 - Thanks for the encouragement. Always welcomed. I like the title of your SB, I am going to check it out more once I finish this upload.

viki oh - It seems anime is the beginning journey for many artists and along the way of learning we end up going a different route and staying there. We end up changing more than we had known we would. That being said, I still have a place in my heart for anime, I just know it is not where my future art career lies. Thank you for your kind words.

thinairart - Judging by your icon/avatar picture it looks as though you have done some cast work as well! Are you training at an Atelier or are you now teaching? Thanks as well for your encouragement.

Nickillus - Thank you! I am realizing how important it is to enjoy the journey and not be in such a rush to try and get to the finish line. I am happy with my progress, but I know I am still only a newb. Again, thank you.

kevinwueste - Thank you for your encouragement! You caught me in the middle of uploading more images and work from the spring semester. Hopefully I will have more to post as well before school begins (depends on how motivated I can become >_<).

I really do appreciate everyone's comments, especially as I am just returning to the forum posting scene. I posted a lot in the past and am now trying to post more and more. One thing that inspired me was MindCandyMan's journey. Not only being able to see his progress but also how much he gives back in tutorials, tips, recordings, etc to those who are just beginning. It makes me want to do more to encourage others.

OK - here are the images I have left to post from the spring semester. I finally found some of my remaining drawings from last school year, including some ATTEMPTS at gesture drawing (which is still a really hard area for me for some reason, but I am better than I was two years ago!). I also have some of my first attempts at painting that were done before the spring semester ended. Again, everything is posted from oldest to most recent, as much as I am able to recall. Below are my final graphite Drawings...this fall I am going to try and focus on having more and more Charcoal Figure drawings to post as well as paintings and possibly even some Pastel work come Spring time.

Painting is where I will begin in 3 weeks when I return to school. I am a complete newb in this area but I am very thankful to God for how He is annointing me and continuing to help me grow and learn. I am also thankful for all of your encouraging words and support.

Thanks guys.
    love,
    lara

Last edited by NiyanaMae; August 16th, 2010 at 03:41 PM.

Sketchbook /Website

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NiyanaMae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I like that last figure and your skull study is nicely done as well. Hope we'll see more work here - good progress!!

Thanks
    I divided up my drawings and my first attempts at painting just to make viewing easier. I hope it makes it easier. o.O

Again, thanks everyone.

As I mentioned previously, I think it is important to not only enjoy the journey and be thankful for our progress, but also to realize that everyone has started somewhere that was unrefined and simply referred to as "it is a good start".

As Charles Spurgeon once said "It was with perseverance that the snail reached the Ark." We must hold the same attitude.

The first picture is a figurative work done alla prima during a demo by one of my instructors. The next pictures are my attempts at setting up different still lifes and painting them monochromatically. The Lips Cast was my final piece before the semester ended. The Cast itself is only painted with the initial "wash" layer, however I had time to attempt a "block-in" layer on the background.

- lara

Sketchbook /Website

26. The Following User Says Thank You to NiyanaMae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Judging by your icon/avatar picture it looks as though you have done some cast work as well! Are you training at an Atelier or are you now teaching? Thanks as well for your encouragement.
    I noticed you mentioned MindCandyMan's journey thread as an inspiration to you, I can say the same with me! I've actually been training under MindCandyMan for the last two years at his online school (http://classicalartonline.com) In November I started teaching as well, and have really enjoyed the experience.

Great that you'll be studying painting when you return to school. Keep us posted on your progress!

Thanks
    thinairart - Wow...that is really cool. Is your training and teaching done entirely online or did you move to a location to train under MindCandyMan? What all do you teach? Are you going to continue studying under him for painting? I am deeply inspired by his paintings and it seems he use to do a lot of youtube/ustream recordings, but none in the last year. I feel I need all the help I can get so I found those recordings insightful.
    I will keep everyone updated with my progress. I am looking forward to learning but also feeling the challenge of it. Thanks for getting back to me and for your encouragement.

- lara

Sketchbook /Website

29. The Following User Says Thank You to NiyanaMae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Lara: MindCandyMan's school is entirely online, where the students interact with their teachers through their student blog (we also have a forums section as well). There are challenges unique to studying online (like taking good photos of your assignments), but the last two years have been a great experience for me- my whole understanding of how to draw & paint has changed completely. Right now I'm teaching Bargue drawing, but one of my students is about to start on his first cast drawing, so I'm excited about that

Jon has definitely been fairly busy lately (he is now a proud papa!) and hasn't had a chance to do as many demos. He also switched over to livestream from ustream, and has been doing a few Saturday demos this summer (the archives are @ http://www.livestream.com/classicalartonline if you missed them). If your not already following him on Twitter, you can get his broadcast notices there as well: http://twitter.com/JonHardesty.

As for me I'm still studying painting under Jon, working on building a portfolio of still life work, and hoping to get outside in the near future and do some plein air painting

Thanks
    Oh...wow. I don't think I'd ever have the patience to do something like that drawing of the cast of the girl's head in the earlier posts. Great stuff Keep drawing!

Sketchbook

NaidyBlack SpotEyestrainVK

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    your sketches are soooo goood ..... realism is awesome man ...

the future is mine

Thanks

Master Copy Painting - it begins

Hey guys,

thinairart: Thank you so much for updating me and providing the links to MindCandyMan's new videos. I completely understand about him being busy and I am very grateful he still takes the time to do these videos. It is a blessing.
    As for training online...I studied at the Academy of Art College online for 2 semesters. There are great challenges with going to school online let alone doing an atelier program. However, it is worth it, especially if a local program is not available. That is really awesome about teaching on your own. I hope everything goes well with your student and that you continue to improve your still life paintings. Any tips for a newbie painter??

krysjez: Thanks! Patience is a fruit that is only developed under trial. It does not come easy, but with time and perseverance it is gained.

maanas.93: Thank you, I appreciate the encouragement.

About the images posted below: I have taken the last few days to begin the setup of a Master Copy Painting. I chose a self portrait of William Bouguereau and decided to copy it first in a tonal drawing and then follow it with a Monochromatic painting. I wanted to try and squeeze one in before school begins in two weeks. I am very new to painting so this will probably not turn out that great, but I am going to see what all I can do.

I did a tonal drawing (which has been a real weakness for me in school) last week in order to set the stage for the monochromatic painting. I only spent about 15-20 hours on this tonal drawing so it is VERY underdeveloped compared to my other Cast drawings that easily took 80-100 hours of time. BUT, I needed to move on to the painting.

Here is my underdeveloped tonal drawing followed by the original painting done by William B. Originally I was going to post the original painting first, followed by my tonal drawing...but in the preview doing this just made my tonal drawing that much more disappointing (at least to me!). I do wish I had more time to work on it, but...alas...painting beckons me.

The beginning stages of my painting will be posted in the next few days.

love,
    lara

Sketchbook /Website

34. The Following User Says Thank You to NiyanaMae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    gorgeous work on that last one

awesome

- C

the sketchbook:

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=111671

Thanks
    Hey,

Charles Ratteray: Thank you very much! I do hope you were referring to my tonal drawing and not the original Painting by a Master Artist. XD It is okay if you made a mistake, I was not expecting my tonal drawing to be received so well. Thank you all the same.

My checklist of updates shown below:

1.) I found 2 quick sketch figure studies from earlier this summer and I also found...

2.) an anatomy study of the leg muscles that I did in June. .

3.) I was able to trace and transfer my original tone drawing to the panel board in preparation for painting.

4.) Unable to start painting because kitty is in my way. He is just too cute to move so I decided to post on here while waiting.

love,
    lara

Sketchbook /Website

37. The Following User Says Thank You to NiyanaMae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Those figure drawings are superb!
    only 15-20 hours? 10 is enough for me. then you go and do 100! your patients most definitely pays of.
    Keep it up.

and nothing takes precedence over painting! no matter how cute it is.

Thanks
    Nice job on the tonal drawing Lara, I think you captured the likeness well. Master copies are always a great idea, I need to do more myself.

What kind of painting curriculum will you be starting off with in the fall? Is a continuation of your studies from the spring? (cast painting, still life). Painting is awesome, but definitely a challenge at first. It also depends on the approach you start out with.. the classical methods (working in layers) are more technical in terms of process, while a more direct style demands a strong handle on drawing, values and edges. The best part though is that compared to a charcoal cast drawing, you can lay in a really dark value that covers 1/3 your canvas in minutes instead of days!

Thanks
    You are working your ASS off missy! Great studies, love the cast charcoal drawings and bargues, very nice.

No crits, just keep it up =)

Daz

Thanks

line drawing becomes "wash" layer

Fly - Thank you very much.

thinairart - Thanks! I appreciate it. As for the curriculum...it is going to be the classical atelier method of painting in layers and it is going to be a continuation of my studies from the Spring. I am going to begin with a monochromatic Cast study and then, hopefully by the spring, move into color Still Life setups. It IS very technical, but I am enjoying it. I am really inspired when I watch Direct painting methods and I have a feeling I may do that more and more once I complete my training. Which method did you begin with in painting? And which one do you prefer to use? (assuming you have trained both).
    And talk about speed! The under painting shown below only took about 3 hours to complete, and I could have left it a lot less detailed. Thank you again for all your encouragement and support.

Magic Man - Good to hear from ya! Thanks for the encouragement.

As I mentioned, the below image is my Master Copy Painting that has now reached stage 2: The Wash. (sorry for the glare on the left side.) Tomorrow begins the main layer, the "block-in".

- lara

Sketchbook /Website

42. The Following User Says Thank You to NiyanaMae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow great stuff, keep doing what you're doing. I cant wait to see more

Check out my sketchbook: Draw or Die

Thanks
    I am really inspired when I watch Direct painting methods and I have a feeling I may do that more and more once I complete my training. Which method did you begin with in painting? And which one do you prefer to use? (assuming you have trained both).
    I have fairly limited experience working in layers, I've mostly worked with a direct approach. Although I still often start with a monochrome earth-tone block-in to work out the value design and composition. Then I'll start painting directly over that block-in usually starting with the focal point, and working my way out.

So what happens in the next layer ("the block-in") for your master copy? Is this the layer where you start applying color? If you have not already seen this thread by Dorian, I think you'll find it really interesting. It is a step by step thread about a recent painting he completed, using a layered approach: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=188309

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 26