Art: New Figure Drawings, Long Poses (Image Heavy)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: New Figure Drawings, Long Poses (Image Heavy)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New Figure Drawings, Long Poses (Image Heavy)

Horrible photos... But the work is large, and I can't seem to manage better pictures. All from my figure drawing class at Callanwolde Fine Arts in Atlanta. Different pencils...

Long poses:

And a detail

Detail:

Some gestural drawings:

And my newest... This is a 2 session pose, so I will be finishing it tomorrow.

C&C would be more than handy... Thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first thing that stuck out at me was the fact that you use a pretty heavy line all around the figure, which flattens it. If that's your goal, then that's fine, but if you want to draw realistically you'll not want to 'outline' your figure.

Secondly, be careful that parts of the figure that are supposed to be straight are straight. For example, in the archery pose, his arm is seriously bent in an impossible way.

One way to combat issues with limbs bending incorrectly as well as proportion is to step back from your drawing often. In the picture of the man sitting, the hands look too small. That usually happens when you're so busy focusing on that particular area that you lose a sense of the picture as a whole. So again, step back from your drawing often.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got a good start going here. I'm not sure what your assignments were, but at this stage I'd spend a lot more time working on basic proportion and form. That means do a lot more drawings and don't spend so much time on the "shading" and details (veins, etc.). Lay out the figure, when you get it right, move on to a new pose. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Step back often as danteort says.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahh the ol' "Step back from what you’re working on..." comment... I scream it at myself in my head repeatedly, and yet it seems I still manage to get sucked into a small area and not view what I'm working on as a whole. As for the outline subject.... This is something I've been trying to change. I keep trying to remember to define with contrast; but can only rarely put it into action. I will try to drive the point home in my head even more.

The wrist on his arm was a bit warped, I fixed it in class last night, and I will post an update later today. Thanks a ton for the crits daneort.

The assignment is essentially a "long pose" spread out over 2 or 3 classes... So we're kind of set up to do finished pieces. We also do 4 quick poses at the beginning of every class, though; I just didn't post but a few of those. I've always had a problem obsessing over the details; my teacher has to step in and tell me to work the piece as a whole often. If you care to look...

http://www.aphoticimage.com/kylerssketchbook/

This is my sketchbook site. I put all my figure works up there (crappy or not,) in an effort to root out my problems at a developmental stage.

Thanks a lot for the help...

Members who have read this thread: 1