Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info, Arshes...

i might as well consider going with Intuos 4 if i don't find a fairly priced Cintiq.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    This is a super old thread but I just wanted to chime in with my own experiences. I bought DTZ-2100D in 2009, and I'm still using it. There is one stuck pixel in the upper left corner, and it sometimes shows as red but sometimes it gets unstuck and works perfectly. It's been like that from the start. Doesn't bother me at all, although I remember saying a few oh fuchs when setting up the display the first time.

I vaguely remember reading that this D-model was the one where Wacom fixed the display so it wouldn't scratch so easily, like it did with some of the earlier DTZ-2100 versions. And yes, even after years of use there aren't that many scratches on the display. I remember reading horror stories of the coating being so soft it would be full of scratches on the earlier models. And I vaguely remember they even sold screen protectors for the screen, although quick googling tells screen protectors are still being sold for some Cintiq models.

Now that my Cintiq is getting on years a bit it's slowly starting to lose sensivity on the edges of the display. And there have been software issues with the lines getting jaggy, although I've almost gotten that under control with Viziblr Fix My Pen -software which disables certain Windows 7 touch screen features like Dynamic Feedback. Still, the reality is that I'm not getting perfectly smooth lines any more, although honestly I can't remember how was it like in the beginning. It's possible the display is just getting too old.

Wacom is obviously not supporting this old displays anymore and I've had to do a bit of testing to find out which drivers work the best. Can't quite remember what problems I had earlier (possibly the jaggedness was and is partly because of wrong drivers) but the current version I've been using for like a year or two is 6.3.6-3.

In any case I've loved the display and I can't imagine going back to pen tablets. If some of you get a hold of a Cintiq this old it's very well possible it's still in a perfectly usable condition. I wouldn't pay too much for it, though. BTW, the display and the drivers worked quite well in Windows 10 as well, although I decided to go back to Windows 7 after Windows 10 broke my ssd.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PasiJH View Post
    Wacom is obviously not supporting this old displays anymore and I've had to do a bit of testing to find out which drivers work the best. Can't quite remember what problems I had earlier (possibly the jaggedness was and is partly because of wrong drivers) but the current version I've been using for like a year or two is 6.3.6-3.
    You may want to take a look at istebrak, who destroyed her Wacom in agony over poor software support.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque View Post
    You may want to take a look at istebrak, who destroyed her Wacom in agony over poor software support.
    Yeah well, there seems to a lot of hatred towards Wacom in those Youtube comments. Yes it's annoying that companies support their products only for a certain amount of time. It's not a Wacom-only problem. And obviously like I noticed myself the problems with jittery brushes were partly coming from the OS a.k.a. Windows 7. With computers there can always be problems when drivers of different products start clashing.

Wacom still doesn't have that much credible competition in the drawing tablet and touch screen tablet areas, although I've seen some gorgeous stuff from Microsoft and was it Dell with a huge tablet monitor? At this point there's no way of telling how all those cheap Asian tablets and touch screen tablets will work in a few years' time. Obviously tablets like iPad Pro and Surface Pro are great substitutes. I have a few year old Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 which is just terrible for drawing. There's a reason why Wacom has been and still is quite respected.

I sort of get what that lady in the video is ranting about but at the same time my first Intuos I bought in 2001 is still working perfectly. It was my only tablet for years before I bought my Cintiq but I rarely use it any more. The thing with tablets is that like everything else they wear out from the use. They are tools, and they are not supposed to last forever. Wacom is an easy target for the rage since their products are quite expensive. Sure, the products should work for many years, and I've no idea what's the quality level there these days but unfortunately all tech companies produce lemons from time to time.

At this point I'm quite sure my next touch screen tablet will be coming from Wacom again. I've no money to buy one currently so I certainly hope my old Cintiq 21UX will still last for a year or two.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 857 Posts
    Obviously tablets like iPad Pro and Surface Pro are great substitutes.
    Apple build quality and support are a joke, so I cannot take them seriously. Microsoft looks promising, though I think it will take a while for them to be ready for creative professionals.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Wacom still doesn't have that much credible competition in the drawing tablet and touch screen tablet areas, although I've seen some gorgeous stuff from Microsoft and was it Dell with a huge tablet monitor? At this point there's no way of telling how all those cheap Asian tablets and touch screen tablets will work in a few years' time. Obviously tablets like iPad Pro and Surface Pro are great substitutes. I have a few year old Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 which is just terrible for drawing. There's a reason why Wacom has been and still is quite respected.

I sort of get what that lady in the video is ranting about but at the same time my first Intuos I bought in 2001 is still working perfectly. It was my only tablet for years before I bought my Cintiq but I rarely use it any more. The thing with tablets is that like everything else they wear out from the use. They are tools, and they are not supposed to last forever. Wacom is an easy target for the rage since their products are quite expensive. Sure, the products should work for many years, and I've no idea what's the quality level there these days but unfortunately all tech companies produce lemons from time to time.

At this point I'm quite sure my next touch screen tablet will be coming from Wacom again. I've no money to buy one currently so I certainly hope my old Cintiq 21UX will still last for a year or two.
    You may want to check out Yiynova. They got most things Wacom does + good reviews and good customer service. And of course they're more affordable.

I got my Genius i608x for 60 Eur. It's the only graphic tablet I've ever had, so I can't make a comparison, but it meets all of my current needs quite well, so I would recommend it. I think it is up to the more professional challenges too, but we'll have to wait for my skill to lvl up to testify to that.

Thanks
    Just a follow up to my post from 2011. I bought a used cintiq 21ux in 2008 and I still use it every day. The thing has been a workhorse and has given me no problems for about 9 years so far. It has outlived probably 2 or 3 computers and adapted successfully to each operating system including windows 10. I don't use many custom brushes so I can't comment on problems related to them. I mostly use photoshop CS5 and illustrator CS4.

Actually, this might count as a problem: After a few years, the surface began to show signs of wear so I covered it with a piece of glass from a picture frame of similar size. An easy and cheap solution that has worked wonderfully. My Cintiq21ux has been well worth the price. I would most likely buy another wacom if this one stopped working.

That has been my experience but I am not dismissing any positive or negative experiences others have reported. Your mileage may vary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2