New Cintiq 21UX (DTK-2100) vs old Cintiq 21UX (DTZ-2100D)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy New Cintiq 21UX (DTK-2100) vs old Cintiq 21UX (DTZ-2100D)

I decided to take the plunge and buy a Cintiq 2 weeks ago. The company that I bought from promptly sent me one of the new Cintiqs. However, I was dismayed when I found two discoloured pixels near the middle of the screen, an uneven covering on the glass/plastic and what looks like rolling diagonal interference on the display.

I've been very lucky with my supplier as they are willing to complete refund or exchange for either the old Intuos 3 DTZ-2100D model or wait for the DTK-2100 Intuos 4 model to come back in stock. They are also willing to personally check for any dead/discoloured pixels before sending anything.

What I really need to know is, do other new Cintiq owners suffer this same problem with a 45° rolling interference pattern that appears to move up the screen? I'd rather not have to wait a month or more for them to come back in stock to have to suffer the same defect. Is this a feature that is endemic in all new Cintiqs or do I have a truly dodgy one?

I'd love to hear other Cintiq owner's stories.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I have the old cintiq model and I had the following problems:
    Horizontal Interference lines.
    Dead pixels right away.
    Dirt under the screen.
    Scratches immediatly.
    One side of the screen died.
    -Got a reimbursment and there are problems here too:
    Dead pixels and dirt.
    Scratched immediatly.
    Flickers sometimes.

sigh. haha

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pavel Sokov For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I got news this morning from my supplier that they are due a consignment of new Cintiqs (which are like rocking horse do-do in the UK at the moment). I now have the decision of which one to choose.

Since you experienced such similar problems to me with the display, it makes me believe that Wacom clearly have issues with manufacturing Cintiqs with a low "failure" rate. Old or new.

The old model Cintiq that I have used for over a year at work seems fine (if a little dull compared to my iMac screen) with none of these other faults apparent.

I was going to go for the older model because I thought it may be less likely to have a refurbished build quality. However, it seems that whichever model I decide upon it will be pot luck. I should just count myself lucky that I have a supplier that is willing to check for pixel defects before delivery.

I think I shall probably go for the newer model now, after hearing your story, Pavel. It should be easier to buy spares and tools for it in the future, that way.

I'm still not happy that Wacom have the market cornered. Shoddy builds. Old tech and a 1 year guarantee is incredibly poor. Compare that to 24" Dell monitor that cost £400 nearly 4 years ago that is a better display and is still under warranty.

I guess I should just expect less and be happy with what I get.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    got the old version for 3 years now, no dead pixels no scratches as good as new, guess im one of those lucky guys. Of course im light handed

There are no such things as bad art, just tight deadlines.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustybucket View Post
    I'm still not happy that Wacom have the market cornered. Shoddy builds. Old tech and a 1 year guarantee is incredibly poor. Compare that to 24" Dell monitor that cost £400 nearly 4 years ago that is a better display and is still under warranty.
    I looked at the UK site description even though I'm quoting the US one here, so unless my math is off, your warranty time frame is wrong for the Cintiq.

Cintiq Tablet Warranty

Wacom warrants the product, to the original consumer purchaser, except for the Software and consumable items such as the pen nibs, to be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use and service for a period of two (2) years, from the date of original retail purchase, as evidenced by a copy of the receipt and registration with Wacom by mail or online within 30 days of purchase. Complete Cintiq warranty details.(pdf)

That being said I do think Wacom needs more healthy competition as I do agree there has been a drop in quality in a brand I have known and trusted for so long.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe......

Chipsterology Sketchbook - Open for crits - 24hrs
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=126257
    Twitter: Chipsterology

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I bought one of the brand new Cintiqs a couple of weeks ago myself; and whilst thankfully I don't have the interference that you mentioned I do have two dead sub-pixels on the bottom left of my display. Thankfully they're pretty unnoticeable however I was a bit miffed that a $3000 piece of equipment has these kinds of issues *facepalms*

Last edited by khajiit; August 28th, 2010 at 07:04 AM. Reason: 2 dead sub-pixels, not full pixels
    ダメだ!ぜんぜんダメだ!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Going on a year with the (Gray) Cintiq 21UX. No issues yet save for a few scratches on the screen, you know? No dead pixels, dirt, dying hemispheres, nothing.

Maybe I just got reaaally lucky. D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bought a brand new cintiq, last week, after 2 days i found a stuck pixel, and some dust paticles under the screen.
    I have some interference but is only notisable in zbrush where the the background is black to gray gradient. is tha what you are geting as inteference? or is that how started tand then got worse?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Far and above, the only issue I have heard with Cintiq 21UX DTK2100's on a negative note has been:

1. Poor screen brightness (200cd/m2, should be 350+)
    2. Poor dot pitch (0.27mm, should be 0.20mm or lower)
    3. Poor quality control (dirt under surface, dead/stuck pixels)

It has me kinda worried; as it stands now, Wacom recognizes a global backorder for that model, but due to a shortage in what they dubbed "High quality LCDs", they are unable to meet demand.

If my $200 22" LCD monitor has a dead/stuck pixel, meh, that happens. When a $2000 piece of hardware that is "creme of the crop" has 1 or more or other manufacturing issues, this is a serious quality control concern. A 22" QUALITY screen goes for about $500. The same size tablet goes for $500. There's no reason Wacom should not have a 3 year, 0 dead/stuck pixel warranty on this thing at 2x the equivalent price.

They definitely need some competition. Drives down prices and forces them to compete by offering better tech.

I would personally love for Wacom to announce an A01 revision of the 21UX that addresses the fact that its panel/surface are subpar for the price bracket it is in.

"Doing something half-assed more than once just makes you more of an ass."
    ●● I7 920 2.67GHz QUAD ●● 12GB DDR3 ●● GTX285 OC ●● WINDOWS 7 PRO X64 ●● ADOBE CS5 ●● CINTIQ 21UX ●●

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AegisKleais For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I bought a used Cintiq21ux on Ebay some time around the end of 2008. It was a little scary to risk buying it on Ebay, but I bought it for $1500 from a seller with a lot of sales and a good reputation. I don't know how old it was. If I recall correctly, the seller had more than one so possibly they were from a business that closed or restructured.

My Cintiq arrived as described, in its box, in good condition with all the cables and software. I think maybe the integrated pen holder or some other little part was absent but it had not been listed in the auction so I didn't worry much over it. The screen showed some very minor scratches/rub marks. I assume I have the acrylic screen unless the scratches are actually just some sort of surface residue. There are a few specks of dust under the Clear acrylic, and one of them is unfortunately close to the center of my work area, but I haven't noticed any flickering or dead pixels. A couple of nights ago, while working, I tried to examine the acrylic for further signs of wear but couldn't detect any. I assume the scratches/rub marks are apparent under certain lighting conditions or with the screen powered off, but I don't notice them in casual everyday use.

I've been using it virtually every day for the last 2 years and I'm very satisfied. I hope it'll last at least a few more years. Even at $1500 US, it seemed like a LOT of money, but it's a great tool.

-Mike

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, my Cintiq is in, but I'm not attaching it to the PC until Friday, cause I want to examine my workplace and ensure that it is put in at the most optimal location. Hoping the screen is in excellent condition (I know that a single bad pixel will make me focus on it all the time)

My current concerns are about screen protectors and whether I can find a place that'll make a dust cover for it (I plan to use it near-daily, but I still want to cover it when not in use) I plan on pressing the power button to power it down even when my PC is up if I am not using it.

"Doing something half-assed more than once just makes you more of an ass."
    ●● I7 920 2.67GHz QUAD ●● 12GB DDR3 ●● GTX285 OC ●● WINDOWS 7 PRO X64 ●● ADOBE CS5 ●● CINTIQ 21UX ●●

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    does anyone have similar issues?

what i see in the screen is a very small skaing and static noise (like a bd signal cable vt one )or similar to a film grain, when the screen is diplaying a low quality gradient. on solid colors is inpersectible.

I use zbrush all the time wich has that gradient backgorund. it doesn't afect my work but it bothers me.

so...

1)i've tried different computers and is the same,
    2)i've tried also changing from dvi to vga, it looks worse in vga.(i use dvi on a gforce 9800 gt)
    3) i've printed a screen shot of zbrush, and took it photoshop, and it does the same effect ( so is not the sofware)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm interested in getting the 21", if not new, i'll go for a good condition used. while browsing ebay, i found someone that was asking about the model.

what's the difference between DTZ-2100 and DTK2100?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by maXmood View Post
    i'm interested in getting the 21", if not new, i'll go for a good condition used. while browsing ebay, i found someone that was asking about the model.

what's the difference between DTZ-2100 and DTK2100?
    DKZ is the "Intous 3" of Cintiqs and is set up similarly.
    1024 levels of pressure sensitivity.
    Has buttons and pens similar to the intuos 3

DTK is the newest "Intuos 4"
    2048 levels of pressure sensitivity
    The express keys are set up similarly to the intuos 4 - except the zoom strips are on the back of the unit so that it doesn't get in the way of drawing.
    The pens are similar however, you need to watch if you're buying ones set up for the cintiq vs intuos 4 (there is a newer make I believe worked on both for the Art Pen for example).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the info, Arshes...

i might as well consider going with Intuos 4 if i don't find a fairly priced Cintiq.

Members who have read this thread: 4