River Cabin
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: River Cabin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

River Cabin

Hi all. Here's a color sketch and a close-up of a piece I'm about to start the final painting on. Any and all observations welcome.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, just want to say that I really like this. It almost looks like it's finished already, so I'm sure the actual finished piece will be extra awesome.
    Can't think of anything that really feels wrong/off to me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks wooblood, I'm hoping it comes out awesome. I've been really trying lately to get away from using line in my finished pieces, because I'd gotten in the habit of using line as a "crutch" (really using it so I wouldn't have to work out the values very carefully or watch my edge control).
    I'm finding out that if I only use the line for the color and value sketches, I really do have the skills to pull off a finished piece without the line. It just means slowing down, and doing a little more work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's really nice.. is the line on a separate layer? If it is, it would be cool to see if you could make it thinner.. right now it is very dominant and pretty thick all over.

-I would love to stay in that cabin, though.. very cosy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is beautiful, I love the color palette and the sense of danger. Are you going to be making the lines in the road white in the finished version?

Edit: Disregard the road line statement, I am still a nooby to this, I guess it would change the shade being under that many trees.

Last edited by Toshley; August 19th, 2010 at 09:29 AM. Reason: After thought..
    "There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice piece

I'm feeling that it could use more highlights on the back trees and some parts of the balcony to keep the lighting scheme consistent

Eager to see it finished

気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Softskin, Thanks so much. That is the best thing I could have heard. That is exactly the feeling I wanted the viewer to have (that they would want to be there.) And while the line is on a separate layer, I'm getting rid of the line completely in the finish.
    Toshley, Thanks and I actually do plan to make the road stripes a little more prominent in the finished piece.
    Quike Garcia, Thank you. And I do plan to have a few more light areas with a more painterly texture in them. The ones in this sketch were created very quickly using a photoshop adjustment layer, so they aren't actually painted. I'm working on the finish now, and hope to be done in a few days (it'll depend on wether I get interrupted with some freelance work or not)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Geez this is beautiful - one thing I would say is that the detail on the cabin and the car is so tight, that it makes the lack of detail on the foreground trees and their pines stand out more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Saramel, and that is one of the things I'm struggling with as I work on this piece. I want to keep the tree branches simplified, but not so simplified that they don't feel like they're part of the same painting. Hope I can find that happy medium and pull it off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks pretty sweet Feel free to show progress while you're finishing it too!

One minor suggestion... the car seems to take up two lanes on the road, and it's kinda odd that there would be a public road running right by the cabin. Maybe it would be better to remove the lines and make it more of a driveway instead of a road?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks lovely. The background seems a bit hazy in relation to the clarity of the foreground. Maybe get a crisper shine on that river or something because at the moment I feel it doesn't quite give the feeling of depth that it should. Obviously you don't want to draw focus from the cabin but there's something about that background I can't quite put my finger on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    meDrawUC, here's the progress so far. As for the road width, the cabin is based on childhood recollections of my aunt and uncle's cabin. Believe it or not the road up the canyon was actually that narrow! If a car was coming uphill while you were going down, someone had to back into a driveway to let the other pass (and the driveways were often wood platforms on stilts out over the canyon side like the cabins.) For me it added a certain charm, feeling instantly like you were off the beaten path. That's also why I have the white stripes, it helps to say road rather than driveway.
    Thanks Smashed_Pumpkin, and yeah I always intended to tighten up the whole thing (the original post is just a color sketch)

Last edited by inspector Lee; August 20th, 2010 at 07:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's an update. Now that my kids are finally back in school, maybe I can finish the rest of this quickly.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.