Sketchbook: Stryno's Thoughts - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Stryno's Thoughts

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Page 3
    I am going to start off with some from imagination, now I know these are flawed. I spent less then 10 min. a piece on them (excluding the runner more like 20 on him), but I am proud of them because of what they mean to me. I reviewed references but these were drawn from my imagination, which feels good, after all the observational stuff I been doing . I know how much I have improved, and how much improvement I can further gain from the studies I have been working on.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sketchbook-Stryno's Thoughts
    "I spent my childhood dreaming about who I would be as an adult, now I am an adult I spend my life dreaming of who I was as a child"
    "I play Guitar because I like music, I draw because I have to."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice improvement in the year or two since you started this sb! keep practicing and posting!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kevin_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some Thumbs I have been Working on,
    Name:  00047c.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  120.2 KB
    This one I done some more work on, actually I would Like to flush out all of them more, but I would love to go even further with these one, but I dont feel I am there yet to achive it in a timely fashion, as you can see I am attempting to play more with color, lighting, and environmental perspective praise as always welcomed, but Crits adored
    Name:  00047d.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  57.8 KB

Last edited by Stryno; September 27th, 2012 at 11:10 PM.
    "I spent my childhood dreaming about who I would be as an adult, now I am an adult I spend my life dreaming of who I was as a child"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow really awesome update! Its cool you are being creative and coming up with stuff and using thumbnails to find the design first. Great job!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph Church For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks For the encouragement. I am Trying Harder.

Here is a from imagination concept I worked on today. I can tell I am getting better but if you see areas I need to work on feel free to point them out, as well as resources You think I could use . *Updated with a Further along Wip *Update Another CharacterI am playing with
    Name:  00048.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  13.6 KBName:  00048b.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  20.0 KBName:  00049.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  20.5 KB

Last edited by Stryno; September 26th, 2012 at 11:29 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for stopping by my sketchbook!!!! Yea the crazy perspective studies do help alot just dont get lost in them like i am lol I fail to make any orginal stuff like your doing. Im just too afraid of messing up or drawing like crap. Ill break out of my bubble soon, right now im doing this training program i invented for myslef. So when its over im going to see what i can do. Its 11 weeks long. Should be done in the middle of november The proportions look really promising, Would like to see like an inked version of it and also a rendered version like you are doing up there except a little more rendered. I would be carefull with how some of your brush strokes come out, some can throw proportions off real quick if your not carefull. It helps to have an inked version underneath and then hide it so you can have a fully rendered painting, but refer to the line drawing when needed. Also, with the invention of this character be sure to draw the same pose from behind then side. Also from another angle or pose. It helps to understand perspective alot for these things. Loomis is perfect for this and the books are free. Your doing great though! Keep it up and never give up or lose hope!!! The only thing that matters in this field Is what you can do!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph Church For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks Here is were I am at now , I would have never thought of doing an inking on this piece though now you mention it, I do see allot of them in character design.
    When drawing (in Photoshop) with just black line on my tablet I get allot of squiggles, Is it my inferior tablet? To much Nicotine, or is the resolution I am working at (6000x2000), Any Ideas. any way when I zoom in to about 100% and draw it does pretty good, but long strokes across the piece (say zoomed out to 25% or 16%), when I zoom in to 100% it is swiggles.
    Name:  00049d.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  24.4 KBName:  00049e.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  22.9 KB

Last edited by Stryno; October 1st, 2012 at 12:05 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is some more trying . I was trying the front, back, side, as suggested. This is still in the WIP form but I thought I would post it, don't worry I haven't given up on the other things I am working on, I just hadn't had time lately. 6 Day weeks at work and then I have family so not much time for my art but I Find a few hours here and there . even though it is still a work in progress I will take Crits as always, thanks for taking a look.
    Name:  00050.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  53.9 KB

Last edited by Stryno; October 2nd, 2012 at 12:02 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I was working on characters, and needed to switch gears, here is a concept I have been rolling around in my head for awhile, finally I think I am able to do it some justice. first off though I will show you an older drawing of the concept, then the new thumb, Okay so it is a little more then a thumb but it is just a line drawing of what I am thinking, so feel free to advise me or critique my process or ideas.
    here is a drawing I spent a few hours on... urgg I hate to admit that but it was several years ago
    Name:  Tordde.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  83.6 KB
    and hear is the new, quasi, thumb
    Name:  00051.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  59.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a couple more thoughts
    Name:  00054.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  8.5 KB

Name:  00051a.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  27.2 KB

Name:  00052.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  29.8 KB

Name:  00053.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  43.0 KB

Last edited by Stryno; October 6th, 2012 at 12:12 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, the not so Good, Bad, and the ugly.

Name:  00056.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  16.6 KBName:  00057.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  20.4 KB

Name:  00055.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  48.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude great job with those things i mentioned!!!! They look great! Drawing line work in photoshop is really hard. It takes a long time to get use to and some people actually perfer to draw in corel painter then transfer the image to photshop to paint(This is what Feng Zhu does). I Like to draw on paper then scan it in for now, but i dont digital paint at the moment so im still not sure what i can do on the digital platform. I tried it a few times and noticed it wouldnt take me long to get it down. So im focusing on my foundations with traditional mediums for now. But even so that inked version of that painting up there looks good. Lines actually look pretty good. But you just have to do a bunch more, the more you do the better you get. Also, im glad you did those three views of that character! YOu really nailed it. I would try to do that for each you design. With everything you do you got to push it like that and fully learn from what you do. Like how you drew that turtle up there, now draw it from a few more angles. If it looks mess,dont worry, the key is to try. Its also good you are using your creative side by taking the turtle and using it for your design Keep up the great work!!! Remember to push it to the limit!!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph Church For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for more of the advice, . I done some more studies, some are repeats, I think they are better then my first try, but any way, I keep working at it.

Name:  00058.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  145.0 KB

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Stryno For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I had a little free time at work

Name:  00059.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  78.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok I bought a book with a Frank Frazetta on the cover and thought,... I need to try a painting in his style and test out the anatomy studies I have been doing,... it was loads of fun! AS always crits and advice welcome!

*UPDATE See next post

Last edited by Stryno; October 20th, 2012 at 02:56 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tried to push the warms and colds

Name:  00060d.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  53.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My Uncle Past this week, so in honor of him, Chet Smith. Ill meet with you agin.

Graphite on a 6x8
    Name:  00061b.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  157.2 KB

Last edited by Stryno; October 22nd, 2012 at 01:07 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool to see some updates! Rendering is looking pretty sweet in the pencil drawing drawing above. The frazetta is coming along good as well! Hoping to see some more from you soon, your creativity is always awesome to see Let me know if you ever send that skype invite. I never got one from you. Keep going!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  00062b.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  5.1 KB

OK I done some perspective studies this week, here are a few, sorry for the image quality the paper was to big for my scanner.

Name:  00062.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  137.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Combined some of my perspective practice with a little lighting practice
    Name:  00062c.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  11.5 KB
    Losing some control
    Acrylic on paper. I need to practice this more, It feels like a practice in frustration, but I am Sure I learn more about colors by traditional mediums. I hope

about 4"x4"

Name:  00063.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  51.3 KB

Last edited by Stryno; October 28th, 2012 at 04:05 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its good to see you going back to pencils, and its clear how its helping your digital in turn.

Theres sometime really charming about those little light study cubes. I need to get into that kind of mindframe for digital painting myself! Do moar! :3

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Jangmai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks Jangmai, just trying to get there, you know. Your work is amazing! You have one of those sketchbooks that makes me wonder if "there" is a place I can get . thanks for stopping by.

I done another fashion design for my blue haired girl. some day I will finish them, LOL yeah right!

Name:  00053b.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  57.9 KB

I Drew this, thought it was a good start and decided to post it, I am working on my perspective drawing, so I think you will see some more of this hover car thing. anyway I think posting it is a way in which I have to take responsibility for it.

Name:  00064.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  19.2 KB

Last edited by Stryno; October 28th, 2012 at 10:55 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there! just came by to return the comment on my sketchbook
    I like the amount of dedication and study I see here! You're targetting all the important thing and it's that type of methodology that will get you far.
    A far as critiques go only one thing comes to mind. I think you have some more on anatomy and faces. Not that your work is bad but there is still some proportion issues that need to be addressed.
    Keep up the good work! Cheers!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Torres For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment, and yes I agree , cheers man. what I find amazing is less then 6 months ago I didn't think I would every be decent at anatomy especially not the face, and now I have a little proportion issues that need to be addressed, hopefully a little more hard work, and dedication and that will be solved

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't Finish this but I am Done for now.
    Name:  00065.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  23.5 KB

Last edited by Stryno; November 9th, 2012 at 04:53 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So my buddy wanted a outdoor fireplace grill sketched up before he built it, He made a funny face and I made him hold it till I got it done, and after those projects I drew a fantasy outdoor fireplace for myself . I only had a 2Hb so my rendering range was not as much as I would have liked.
    Name:  00067.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  18.2 KB
    Name:  00068.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  39.0 KB
    Name:  00066.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  107.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not much to say, still here, still trying.

Name:  00069.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  00070.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  50.3 KB

Last edited by Stryno; November 22nd, 2012 at 07:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just continuing to do my thing.

Name:  00071.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  24.1 KB

Name:  00072.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  21.6 KB

Last edited by Stryno; December 11th, 2012 at 10:48 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gotta keep studying
    Name:  00073.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  5.8 KB
    Name:  00074.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  34.5 KB

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 7