Business card or No Business card.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Business card or No Business card.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Business card or No Business card.

I am part of a art show this month and the concept of it got me thinking about whether or not business cards are a viable option for artists. Does word of mouth and such work well enough in our digital age or is a business card still a worthwhile thing to hand to someone.

If so to what extent does the information of your expertise go? As much detail that can fit or simple description of your expertise (ie illustration/graphic design).

Let me know some of your thoughts.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyogtha408 View Post
    I am part of a art show this month and the concept of it got me thinking about whether or not business cards are a viable option for artists. Does word of mouth and such work well enough in our digital age or is a business card still a worthwhile thing to hand to someone.

If so to what extent does the information of your expertise go? As much detail that can fit or simple description of your expertise (ie illustration/graphic design).
    Word of mouth and such is a about reputation, it does not work so well for address, url and phone number...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would think that a business card would be insanely important. Word of Mouth and reputation is great but if you need to find someone online you're going to need their name, web address, email ect. All it takes is for someone to not remember your name or url and they might never be able to find you.

People can't remember huge amounts of info off the top of their head and at a show they might be running into huge numbers of artists that they are interested in. Having business cards is a great way to get RL people to your online site but only if they get the proper information and can remember it at a later date. This is why business cards are so great.

As for expertise, I have none as I am a newb hobby artist, but I can say that when I've been to art fairs and artist alleys, everyone has had business cards and they give them away like mad.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, Chinese philosopher (604 BC - 531 BC)

My SketchBook.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Do you remember the name of every person you shake hands with? Didn't think so.

Get business cards.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Business cards are fine. Make sure you have an image. An artist's business card without a picture is pretty ridiculous in this day and age.
    Postcards are actually more useful. Pic/name on the front, full contact info on the back.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have been trying to decide on a source for business cards. Does anyone have a favorite online store that accepts tiff/psd files?

Erik

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This might seem a bit ridicilous at first sight, but if you listen to what he says he got some very good advice about buissness cards.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LORD M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hahaha! That video is great. But he does make sense. Crap business cards are a turn off. Glad to see people side with me, this was a conversation I had with a buddy of mine that's part of this showing. He doesn't want to bother getting any done because he relies on the "digital age." I still think it's stupid, you need one in order to be remembered.

I'm curious in who your favorite shops are to get them from.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Business cards are absolutely necessary. First and foremost, people are busy; no one is going to take a special amount of time to try and remember who you are if they've forgotten some detail about contacting you.

Second, a business card instantly labels you as more professional and 'serious' about your work.

Third, giving out business cards liberally will eventually pay off: you never know who has your card stashed away in their pocket for that special project they've been thinking about.

Finally, and this is unrelated to art, having business cards is a great way to give people your contact info without searching around for a pen and paper. Seriously, I find this a totally legit reason to have them.

In terms of having them done up; you'll usually find either groups online or on craigslist who'll do thousands of cards for less than $100 and sometimes even less than $50. Just start brainstorming some design ideas, cross reference them against some popular existing designs (just to make sure you're not falling into any design traps) and go for it.

Follow Me! | DeviantART | Twitter

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That video was badass.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Someone recommended MOO.com on another site (ArtOrder, I think) as a good place to get business cards and post cards. I haven't used them myself, but it looks interesting and easy.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sin-d For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    That video was badass.
    Yes very much so. That guy is a bucket of awesome.

However, he makes it seem like the only way to make/get a buisness card is if it's ellaborate. Is there any truth in that part of what he's saying? I would think it's better to have a crappy one than none at all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's good to have business cards on you at all times. You never know when you'll run into somebody with a good connection, and you don't want to be caught scrambling for a napkin to write on (which has a good chance to get you ignored anyway).

Postcards are better to hand out like candy, but they're harder to have on you at all times.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Definitely get a business card. My good friend has a nice simple one, a small square for a tiny self portrait and beside it it has his name, website, email and phone number. He builds crowds, guaranteed . Seriously get one though :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes, get one, you need to be able to give people your address/email/phone number, without them having a phone. It's also smooth.
    Mmmh, smooth.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Business cards are the way to go, particularly if you do a lot of networking. For mine, I have four different cards: the fronts are cropped sections of work I've done, and the backs have my contact information along with a small illustration that goes with the image on the front. For example, I have a card with zombies on it that has a brain on the back. I always get compliments on them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    According to a friend of mine, it's a really good way of hooking up with girls. (Although, I can't testify to that, since I don't have any buissness cards).

Other than that, giving out 2 cards per person would probably help spreading the word..

Sketchbook
    Old Sketchbook
    Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Can't believe I didn't post this the first time around.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Business cards with QR codes.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.