Thanks

My new laptop for art work

For the last 4 years I worked on 2 computer one at home the other a IBM Thinkpad A31 with a 1.6 ghz CPU I up to a 2.4ghz cpu and 2gb of DDR ram with a ATI 7500 mobile Radon video card that has only 16 megs a DDR Ram...yet I been able to do some great work. But over time I found I could not do all my work on the laptop and I love to go out in public to work and not sit in room in my house. My desk top has tons of powers but it can't be taken out to set up and draw with .. So I talk to my wife and I was give the green light to hunt down new laptop one that could handle all my needs to do my art work 2D and 3D and to do video editing and more. So I looked at tons of system and saw I would ether need to have a costume built at a large cost or or I would be looking at the gaming system that cost $2K to $5K.

I looked at a few Dells and thinking some of them look good for the work I was wanting to do but I was not sold on Dell's system .. My Thinkpad is tough it took a lot moving around and the traveling I did Plus not all the work I do with it is art work I do computer work as an network tool box I use it for system testing. I was think as I look at system do I need to replace it fully or do I need to just get second laptop that fits the graphic needs I have..

I was searching and come across reviews for the
    Asus G73JH-RBBX05
    http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=8je5Ot4HBnKOdT81

I found a great price and my wife said it look good and I got it ..

The Asus G73JH-RBBX05 I got has the i7 quad core CPU 6gb of DDR3 1333 ram and can go much high. the video card is the ATI Radon 5870 Mobile with 1 gb of DDR5 ram and 500gb 7200..HD and The system is set up so it can take up to 2 1TB HD's. The sound and video it is great .. yes it could have a bit better screen and battery life but the price was just too good a deal. It has a 17.3 screen and great HD. It handling every program for art I have only on my big system till now and it great to be able to draw in public anything I set my mind to..no more lag time wile i draw or render.. Yes it is a game system but the power needs are the same and it looks very cool.

So with my 12X18 Wacom Intuos 2 table and the G73 I can get out a draw in public again and do it with some great style. So this is my new art studio Why do you all think?
    Last edited by CCorsair; August 13th, 2010 at 08:49 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Looks nice. I've always really thought it convenient that the same hardware generally very convenient for art, is also generally pretty convenient for gaming.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Two Listen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Listen View Post
    Looks nice. I've always really thought it convenient that the same hardware generally very convenient for art, is also generally pretty convenient for gaming.
    most Games are made on system with far more power then the play on ..which is why some games suck when you take to play on your home system . this system has more power than more and even the next version that ASUS is doing with a Nvida card people don't like this one as it dose not have the power this ATI version has.. why spoil a good thing just to get a new gimmick added to something that works well.. I been working with ZBrush 3.5 and it rocks 3D max and more just rocks .. pulled up all my beta testing I do on the big box I built and it rocks .. Nothing seems to slows down this system. plus this only 7.5lbs not some 11lbs like an Alienware system which is not owned by Dell..

CC

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    General "Keep up with the Jones" forum.

Ignore me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    General "Keep up with the Jones" forum.

Ignore me.
    No just bragging lol

CC

Thanks
    I saw one of these in Best Buy recently... the thing looks like its carved out of stone or something right? Congrats!
    And do be sure to check out my sketchbook if you have time!
    ketchook
    LinkedIn

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti Ball View Post
    I saw one of these in Best Buy recently... the thing looks like its carved out of stone or something right? Congrats!
    it has this rubber like skin and feel really cool .. and no fingerprints well if they are oily but the come off easy. It suppose to be to look like a stealth fighter . back lite keyboard..This system has a over clocking feature as well Face recognition for log in and a great range for the WiFi pickup.

Yes Best Buy is where I got it but it was at $1199 at the time it gone up now to $1299 I think .. May add a second drive soon and then wait till the DDR3 1333 memory get to a good price and max it out.. 6GB is nice but the idea of going higher ... YES no more lag for memory..

CC
    Last edited by CCorsair; August 13th, 2010 at 08:50 AM.

Thanks
    I think for that money you should have gone for the ThinkPad X201 with the IPS panel that you can draw on.

Thanks
    well its not exactly the system i would choose for mobile work. battery life is likely 45 minutes tops.

I do think its a great price for the hardware it has. now comes the fun part. weeding out all of the crapware it comes with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangum View Post
    well its not exactly the system i would choose for mobile work. battery life is likely 45 minutes tops.

I do think its a great price for the hardware it has. now comes the fun part. weeding out all of the crapware it comes with
    I get about 2hr on the battery and I can get the new long cell later.. as for the Thinkpad Portus the screen size wasn't great onlt 12.1 and this system as I say 17.3 and I have the Wacom....I travel out and can find power near anywhere.. but like i said my service plan let upgrade the battery free. Not much in crapware installed and i can add a second drive inside if need.. running some seagate freeagent go drive now for more and extra storage now .. not that I have ran out room yet.. lol

cc

Thanks
    This might seem a bit stupid to some people, but how would you actually use a tablet and a laptop at the same time while your outdoors (sitting on a bench for example) and there is nothing in front of you to put your laptop on? I like to have my tablet right in front of my screen, but I'd think that would be impossible to do while sitting on a bench. So the only way I can imagine is that you'd have your tablet on your knees with your laptop beside you, which must feel really awkward cos your hand is moving one way but your mouse (or brush or whatever) is moving a slightly different way. Am I missing something or is it just something you get used to?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp! View Post
    This might seem a bit stupid to some people, but how would you actually use a tablet and a laptop at the same time while your outdoors (sitting on a bench for example) and there is nothing in front of you to put your laptop on? I like to have my tablet right in front of my screen, but I'd think that would be impossible to do while sitting on a bench. So the only way I can imagine is that you'd have your tablet on your knees with your laptop beside you, which must feel really awkward cos your hand is moving one way but your mouse (or brush or whatever) is moving a slightly different way. Am I missing something or is it just something you get used to?
    well when I go out its more in areas where there are tables and power.. or at best some place near I can charge from..parks would not be a great place.. no power could get mugged ... I'll go out to Mall's or book stores and coffee shops even to our local Denny's late at night . I like to be seen when I working at best I like areas of traffic as long as there is some noise of some kind and yes a table is needed but if I do I have a small folding table if needed.. I draw best with sound around me People talking and all.The more noisier the better. I am not sure why but that is how I like it... plus the look on peoples faces when the seem big Wacom and there is nothing on it as I draw and watch the screen and not my hand... I have gone out to shops and taken over tables and the owner at first are upset but when the see people sit and watch me and buy coffee they seem to enjoy my take over of a part of the shop.. they even send over free coffee some times ... LOL I have been doing this for years and now it even more fun having system that has the power to work on some of my big drawings I have only worked on from home after the got too big and could not load on my other laptop.. This next week I taking all the art programs off the old system and turn it into a full network testing system for computer tech work .. The ASUS is going to be my system for doing 100% graphic and video work now.. and I will sync it to my desk top as well as it will still do some of the same work as well .. Oh and ya I'll get some gaming in with this system too .. can't let just be all work with not play..lol

CC

I'll get some shot of me posted wile I work so you can see how I set up..

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CCorsair For This Useful Post: