Starving Artists (or How to Make Quick Cash)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Starving Artists (or How to Make Quick Cash)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Starving Artists (or How to Make Quick Cash)

Hello. Iím an artist, Iím hungry, and I canít afford more food. I have a full time job, but my paycheck all goes to rent and bills and pills (and the food that I already ate ). Letís start a thread about making quick cash for hungry artists! Hereíre some of my ideas:

Collect cans and bottles for recycling (unfortunately, they donít pay for that in my area, but maybe in yours?)

Garage Sale (it can be a little difficult if you donít have a garage/house, but at my friendís garage sale I made a cool $60!)

Sketching people (if you are awesome at portraits and/or caricatures, then people will pay you a little)

Paid Online Surveys (Iím a little wary about trying this one, has anyone else done it successfully?)

I was also reading an artistís auto-biographic art book, and he had a good (if not completely honest) idea. He would spend a long time drawing a really nice scenery in a well populated area. Then he would make a bunch of copies. Then he would go back to that area, and pull out one of the copies and put it on his drawing board. When tourists or someone would walk by, heíd sketch a couple rocks or some small detail onto the copy so it would look like heíd just finished the sketch Ė the people would be all impressed, and heíd offer it to them for cheap. Theyíd gladly accept and move on, and then heíd pull out another copy for the next people walking by.

Two quick cash solutions I donít endorse are prostitution and moonlight panhandling. Leave the panhandling to the homeless, they need it and itís not fair to take money that could have gone their way.

What are your ideas???

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Saramel For This Useful Post:

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    One time when I was in South Carolina, they had a promotional deal where you go to take a look at this time-share condo thing. All you have to do is take a tour and at the end they give you a check for $100. At the end they sit you down and try to get you to sign a contract, but just smile and say no. So, see how many you can find in your area and try and hit 'em all at least once a month.

All I know is ebay isn't panning out for me... Still worked better than etsy...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, that's a great idea! I should see if they do that here, thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    God I'm depressed... See how the world values art... One time our school took a trip to Sweden to visit a school. I walked with our school director as an interpretor, and I pointed out their nice art studio. "We could use one of those," I said. She just laughed...

In Slovakia, if you don't go to an afterschool art program, your art ed ends by age 11. Where I teach in a school of around 500, there's maybe one who can draw at a DA level, and maybe two or three kids who can read sheet music...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had a buddy in college that would go and give plasma (blood) And they would pay 25$ each visit. I think you could go twice in a week to give blood. Also if you get a part time job in a restaurant you can usually get free meals daily if their cool (thats how i got through college )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It isn't just about making money, it's also about how you can work the system.
    I fully admit, I did some less than honorable things back in the day, but I couldn't work more than 20 hours a week or my school work would suffer.

1) I didn't pay for the bus for like 2 years. In Seattle, our bus transfers have a color, a letter, and are then torn off at a time of day where they expire. The color and the letter are always different (So, one day it could be Green + B, then next day Black + D, the next day Green + H, etc). So what I did was I collected these bus transfers in the morning (when I went to work) and the evening (when I came home) and organized them alphabetically and by color in my wallet. When getting on the bus, I would look at what the color is, find the closest letter (sometimes I had the letter, most of the time not..but for example a C could look like an O by covering up a portion of it with my thumb). It was a fullblown file cabinet of bus passes so I could quickly find the best pass, haha.

This worked 99% of the time. The bus driver doesn't care at all, they are just bringing people to and from as long as they saw the color and it didn't look lik you were OBVIOUSLY covering up the letter, a quick flash would be fine for them. Definitely a form of theft, but as I said...I had a pretty clear conscience about it considering how broke I was.

2) Piling up roommates. I lived with 4 other guys in a 1 bedroom apartment and paid about 120 bucks a month for rent (In Seattle, that's cheap). I got the futon (because it was mine), one guy slept in one of those "pompazon" chairs (so he slept in a fetal position every night, haha), and the rest traded off sleeping on the one mattress while the others slept in piles of clothes, haha. Sounds bleak, but it was a roof over our heads and it wasn't like a slum. It was a nice apartment with a nice big TV and a computer...it was just cramped.

3) Another "scam" that I had to do was finding ways to work the other poor customer service workers in the area. I worked at a movie theater and even though we weren't supposed to, it was really easy to get ahold of free movie passes. So I would get the movie passes, then I would trade those for food at neighboring establishments. I would usually trade like 2 movie passes (at the time, movie tickets were 7.50 a piece, so thats like 15 bucks in trade value) for one Subway sandwich or something. So it was a great deal for someone working at a Subway who could just write it off as dropped bread/ingredients in the counts at the end of the night.

That was about as far as I was will to go with scamming, but it's all about being creative without getting into trouble.
    Think outside the box.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    One of my roommates used to get by on professional dog-walking... (There's also pet-sitting. Or, god forbid, baby-sitting... I know a few people who did part-time nanny services to scrape by; I would only do that if you have a high tolerance for small children, though.)

A lot of guys around here wander around the park selling bottles of ice water, and seeing as it's blistering hot right now people buy it.

The census bureau was recruiting people for a while, wonder if they're still doing that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Huh back in my youth I worked at a crap job, oh wait, I've pretty much only worked those!!!
    I say do whatever it takes, if you have a truck then do scrap metal. Cruise nice neighborhoods during spring cleanup days when everyone puts decent things out, then resell them for cheap. There is the recycle thing but if you are in an urban area you are going to be competing with the homeless as well and probably won't be as adept at it as they are.
    If you live in an apt building, see if there are elderly people there as well and try to setup an errand service for those in your building. Pick/drop off groceries and the like. I would avoid prescriptions just because you don't really want to spook people and make them think you are after their meds, they need them you don't.
    Also, there is oDesk, you could see about finding some freelance hours here and there to help with your income AND it is online work so no need to be presentable unless they want to vid skype you...then at least from the waist up ought to be presentable!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, these are great you guys! I can never think of this stuff on my own - thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep an eye out for security jobs like survelliance at a hotel or hospital- you basicly can just draw all the time on the job, cause nothing ever happens... Abit scam like I know

"Take credit for anything embedded in the edit as long as you ment it when you said It"

Sketchbook <-nsfw|Deviantart | Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I heard on the news recently, there's a new trend in China for firms to hire white people in suits to just attend parties and such, and pretend you work for the company. The only requirement is to smile and not speak any Chinese. Any starving artists without much tying them down might try it. It's an opportunity to see how people live on the other side of the world...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,342 Times in 1,207 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I used to do tutoring to pick up cash. Mostly teaching little old ladies desktop publishing, but any relevant skill would work. Wherever you have students, you also have students that need more help than the school system can provide.

My parents did things the old-fashioned way and worked two jobs. Eventually they worked a day job and ran a restaurant in their spare time. I have no idea how they managed to do that while raising two kids. Although actually I remember how -- we spent a bunch of time playing games like "stack the napkins" and "mop the floor".

It's too bad that my guy is allergic to animals, I think that working from home and having a petsitting gig would be just brilliant. I guess you'd have to get insurance though, in case one of the animals got sick.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually do some of those online surveys-for-cash, but it's not exactly a goldmine. I go through Opinion Outpost, which is a legit place - as in, I've actually gotten payouts from them when I built up enough points for a payout. Some of the places out there are scams, though - if anyone asks you to pay money up front for surveys, run fast and far. Anyway, in my experience, it's more of an occasional-splurge-on-Amazon rate of payout, not a pay-the-rent payout.

Back when I was training as a medical transcriptionist, I ran across this site: http://www.katieshugs.com/. It's geared toward work-at-home moms, but it did a decent job sorting the wheat from the chaff, or the scams from the legitimate sites. (As a warning, I haven't been there in a while - the place may have degenerated, but at the time it wasn't afraid to call a scam a scam.)

-----
    - Brightdreamer
    Go find something flat, and scribble on it. People have been doing that for tens of thousands of years, and it's mostly been ok.
    - from The Daily Humorscope
    Brightdreamer's Sketchbook - Brightdreamer's Book Reviews (blog)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Use something like chalk and/or sugar to make pills that LOOK like ecstasy tablets but are actually completely inert placebos. Sell them at the kind of rave parties where naive teenagers hang out. Most of them will actually get high on the stuff. Power of the mind and all that. ;-)

Not that I have actually done this, mind you. I got the idea from a movie. I have always wondered where one would stand from a legal point of view. You can't be arrested for drug smuggling seeing as what you are selling aren't drugs. Arguably it's fraud, since the customers aren't getting what they are paying for, but since they are paying for illegal drugs they can't really take you to court either. ;-)

A year or two ago I managed to supplement my income a bit by making small watercolour sketches of pleasantly innocuous subjects like birds and cute puppies, sticking them to blank cards and selling them as handmade greeting cards. In some areas there might well be a bit of a market for that. You make very little money, but every bit helps, and in the meantime you get some practice too.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to brianvds For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by brianvds View Post
    Use something like chalk and/or sugar to make pills that LOOK like ecstasy tablets but are actually completely inert placebos. Sell them at the kind of rave parties where naive teenagers hang out. Most of them will actually get high on the stuff. Power of the mind and all that. ;-)

Not that I have actually done this, mind you. I got the idea from a movie. I have always wondered where one would stand from a legal point of view. You can't be arrested for drug smuggling seeing as what you are selling aren't drugs. Arguably it's fraud, since the customers aren't getting what they are paying for, but since they are paying for illegal drugs they can't really take you to court either. ;-)

Completely sound reasoning here.
    Go try it out, use that argument while in custody
    see how much sense it makes then. Also other side of the spectrum
    even if cops don't find out try not getting the shit beat out of you by
    some pissed off college kid or something.

~You should never doubt what nobody is sure about~

Demo's Digital Damsels

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ^ Yeah, that's an astonishingly bad idea.

Best case scenario you get arrested..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did freelance art work for hire in my early days . one thing i did was do T-shirts and bumper stickers and stationary for business.. ever free lance business card designs ...all by hand and. I also at one time instead of picking for cans would pick up dead TV's and other appliances and repair them(I also skilled in electronics since I was 6yr)I would then re-sell items to shops that sold used items .. I did very well till I found the time was just not worth what made and then turn to my art work a few year later. I have too many skill and gave up working for other long ago .. My art and my computer skills keep the bills from piling up but it isn't always keep us in the green.. not the starving artist I was (and yes I eat a lot less in those early days) The screen work I did was simple and was for fun and I found some great buys on blank white t-shirts at Goodwill. Using the Jr. college class room time I turn out enough shirts to make what need for the year for classes and more later when some had to pay for stealing some of my art from the t-shirts I did.. Artist have a problem. We want to do our art but we can't all make money at it right off. I never thought I give in to working at some 9 to 5 jobs or conform and not do my art full time.. but some time you have to do something you hate to do what you love .. Audit you skills see what you know use it . you will find you can make the money and still be artist..

CC

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post
    ^ Yeah, that's an astonishingly bad idea.

Best case scenario you get arrested..
    Hehehe, I would indeed think twice before actually trying that out, but hopefully someone else will and then come report back to us how it worked.

No, a far better idea is to start your own church. Go to www.ULC.org to get yourself ordained as minister, and then you can surely start your own soul saving business. There is always a fortune in that... ;-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Working for tips is actually not that bad. I work under 30 hours and make over 20k. I kind of lucked out with the job (although I hate it). But seriously, find a good restaurant and work the bar or wait tables and you can make decent money without spending huge amounts of time, PLUS you work nights and weekends so your family won't bug you as much
    Really though, there's decent jobs out there for people who want to make a little money without putting a lot time in. They seem like bad choices because they're dead ends; no benefits, no raises, to real promotions. But you aren't planning on staying long anyway. This way you don't have to cheat your fellow man, and you'll make enough money to improve your financial situation (which can greatly help you pursue your art career)

My Website / My Sketchbook / My DeviantArt

Garlunk|Human|lvl07|pvp00|E0|Siren's Well
    Tomyris|Mystical|lvl02|pvp00|E0|Killrog's Palace
    PAINT HAMMER! The Art Making RPG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh man, I love these ideas - as for the fake ecstacy, yeah, I think I'll play it safe and just sell real ecstacy ;P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Draw porn for people.
    At the cost of your dignity.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Featheredface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey now, hentai is an excellent business venture. How else can you incorporate demons, tentacles AND school girls and not get arrested!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Brian.May For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Featheredface View Post
    Draw porn for people.
    At the cost of your dignity.

Hey, Highlights, just ignore that one part on my resume.

Also, don't look at the last section of my portfolio site.

And for the love of god keep the safe search on when you google my name.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightdreamer View Post
    I actually do some of those online surveys-for-cash, but it's not exactly a goldmine. I go through Opinion Outpost, which is a legit place - as in, I've actually gotten payouts from them when I built up enough points for a payout. Some of the places out there are scams, though - if anyone asks you to pay money up front for surveys, run fast and far. Anyway, in my experience, it's more of an occasional-splurge-on-Amazon rate of payout, not a pay-the-rent payout.
    That sounds interesting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mrs Flake used to do those, it's nowhere near a reasonable income but you can definitely score neat free stuff every so often.

Couple of years back we got a hamper full of tasty foods, expensive wines and exotic preserves.

We got a free dual core netbook and a D-Link wireless router from our ISP for some survey thing. Decently specced too, especially considering we never actually submitted the survey.

It's usually just a fiver on Amazon or a years magazine subscription at best but sometimes you get a result..

Last edited by Flake; August 13th, 2010 at 08:37 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL thats pretty awesome Flake, Me and my girlfriend tried doing those a year ago but we only got like 8cents per 3 surveys. You had to accumulate like 30$ for them to send you a check so in the end I only got to like 30Cents before quitting.

~You should never doubt what nobody is sure about~

Demo's Digital Damsels

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think a lot of them are scams and the rest are really random.

You either get nothing, a 5 quid Amazon voucher, 50p off at CDwow or a new laptop.

If they have a legit company attached to them your chances of free laptop are higher.

Mrs Flake gave up because she switched jobs to a place where she can just log in remotely and do an hours overtime.

Last edited by Flake; August 13th, 2010 at 08:31 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm guessing from your last sentence that it does take up some of your time for a little pocket change.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No! Selling drugs is a really bad idea really...keep the ideals legal. selling your self to do any type Art work even Hentai but it up to you as how far you want to go with out selling your soul.

CC

Last edited by CCorsair; August 13th, 2010 at 08:15 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn...

As for selling fake drugs, you just gotta find the right clientele... .... damn can't find that adam sandler track on youtube... ah well... "that's not really weed, that's just some pencil shavings in a bag..."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2