building a new website
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: building a new website

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following

building a new website

I'm flirting heavily with starting a new site. I have a few questions and I was wondering if anybody could help.

Any cheap host sites, you guys can recommend, that maybe gives a discount for a yearly rate?

How good is word-press for building a portfolio? Are the templates flexible enough to make a site look completely unique and not just some blog.

Any better options for a designer with no clue about coding?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    indexhibit
    i built my site with it: www.thedirtsyndicate.org
    its simple and free. for coding? like changing the color of type? i just copy pasted shit i googled.

wordpress was a bit harder to modify. i built this site off a wordpress theme:
    www.thedirtsyndicate.org/arthur_nichols
    i think they've got a lot of updates since i built this though. might be worth looking into.

there's also cargo collective... not sure about the details of how to use it, but it does look nice. my buddy just built his site with it:
    www.ziul.tv
    im thinking about using cargo for my new website.

for hosting i use 1and1, but dont really know much about the cost... i wanted to eventually host a forum so i have a heavy duty mega motherfucker package that costs a lot. haha
    but they are a solid host and have good customer service that you can actually call 24/7

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDirtSyndicate For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks. I actually checked out your site a couple weeks ago. Great stuff! It distracted me for about an hour.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't tried WordPress yet (I'm about to) but a friend of mine who's a designer uses it for most of his sites and blogs. According to him, the good thing about WordPress is that it's frequently updated, so it tends to be, well, up-to-date and fairly reliable.

Also I think it does now have a bunch of jquery extensions that include a lot of different kinds of slideshow/portfolio-style widgets, so you could probably build something fairly shiny.

Unfortunately you might need some code savvy to really customize WordPress and jquery, it's all a bit intimidating...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have been doing research and I really dig cargo collective. I take it they have high standards. The community promotes pages and everything. I was just wondering if I'd have to pay them? Do I need my own host or do they host for me? The only thing I found out was that I need to provide my own domain.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had a first class fail today. I misspelled the domain name. It's all good though cheap registrar was cool about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wordpress is definitely a good platform for building a portfolio website, however a little tweaking of CSS or php templates is pretty hard to avoid if you want a custom look & feel. There are a ton of plug-ins though to extend the basic functionality that you can get up and running without any coding (image galleries, twitter & facebook integration, etc..) The website in my signature was built completely in Wordpress, with a couple off the shelf plug-ins and a little bit of custom coding on my part.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thinairart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have been looking around for a website thing for a while also. Yesterday I stumbled across wix.com and started playing around with it.... after an hour, I was really into it (just drag and drop and super easy to mess with, you can start from a bunch of site options to base it from). By the afternoon I had my site completed!

The bad side is, it is flash....so won't work on iphones / ipads...but meh, oh well...I liked how it turned out.

Then I signed up for the premium (they host) so the adds would go away.

Today I had to add another picture and the editing after you make it is the same as when you are making it (I wasn't sure how hard it would be), took a minute to add in another picture to a gallery and republish took maybe 3 seconds (no giant uploads or messing with FTP servers).

Though, even with the premium, you still have the page title as wix.com/something something something (so it shows up on the task-bar as that instead of your site name...I'm not sure if it is changeable or not, but not a big issue for me).

So, overall, I am really happy with it

(((oh :edit: forgot to mention they also have things like marketplace and email forms and other things like comments that you can put into your site *also drag and drop*, I only messed with the in-site email form and that worked out. Thought it was worth mentioning, I had considered market place features for a different idea I had...but when I looked into it before, I got lost understanding how to actually put it into a website >< but the interface on wix makes it easy ...

mmmmm wow, my post sounds like I have stock in them! Maybe it is the shiny new toy feeling still? ))

------
    Studio Fawn *smiley face*

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ivory_Oasis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're still looking around for a paid hosting plan, Lunarpages (http://www.lunarpages.com/) is a great hosting service! Good prices and your site stays up 'n' going pretty much ALL the time!

I use the service, I have for some years now and it also has several features for building your website. Customer service is good too!

So yeah, check it out if you're still searching!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Virb kinda relaunched this month.

Once upon a time they were a social network but didn't get all facebook famous. Then Mediatemple bought them and now they seem to have changed their plan towards hosting for artist/musicians/content creators.

10$ per month and not need to fight with HTML.

IIRC Mediatemple has some server problems a few years ago and I don't know if that has changed for the better (my guess is yes as there is no talk about it anymore).

They also offer a free trial; some of the features (with more for the future in the roadmap link) sound useful. The few sites I looked at were thankfully not infested with flash galleries (or other flash content).

15. The Following User Says Thank You to _Mario For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use webhostingpad to host my and all of my client's sites. They have great uptime, responsive and knowledgeable customer service, plenty of features, and it's affordable.

As far as CMSs go, I use Textpattern. The learning curve isn't as high as platforms like Joomla or Drupal, and it has a fairly large community of users and a robust plugin library (like Wordpress). As far as customization goes it gives you the option of using a built-in editor that lets you set basic styles like text color, link color, etc without having to see the code. (Though as someone said above, in-depth customization of a template does require knowledge of CSS)

The downside is that Textpattern doesn't have a lot of pre-built templates. But if you want to see the sort of sites can be built using Textpattern, have a look here: http://welovetxp.com/

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Senira For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks you guys. I went with cargo collective, but it's not as easy or flexible to customize as I thought. As a matter of fact even getting something like the header to display correctly has been a pain. Too bad because I really liked the presentation, but I just don't have the time to wrap my head around coding.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm testing out virb right now. Aside from it not having accessible thumbnail options I like it. Good thing it's just a free trial. $10 a month is pretty steep in my opinion, but totally worth it if I can use it to market myself correctly.

Here's my site so far. http://unstoppablenobody.virb.com/welcome

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.