Story suggestions for a process book la "The Skillful Huntsman"
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Story suggestions for a process book la "The Skillful Huntsman"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Story suggestions for a process book la "The Skillful Huntsman"

Several years ago, while I was still a student studying Industrial Design at school, I stumbled upon the book "The Skillful Huntsman" in my schools library. It was the possibly the first time I had ever encountered the concept of concept art, at least as something that could be studied and pursued as a career. In fact the book left such an impression on me that I used its general format and techniques to do a final project for a liberal arts class on theater costume design I was taking at the time, which was very well received by the professor and my classmates.

Since graduating I have been working as a product designer at a toy company and have recently desired to change career paths into the field of entertainment design. I created this account on CA and have begun participating in the weekly design activities as diligently as my schedule allows, but I have decided that my time might be better spent working on a cohesive portfolio based on a story, much like that found in "The Skillful Huntsman".

I was thinking of using a well known story, "The Wizard of Oz", as the basis for my character, environment, industrial and creature designs. I feel that "The Wizard of Oz" offers a wide range of each of these and being a well known story, it will be much easier for someone viewing it to understand the concepts with little or no background explanation required.

The reason I come to you, dear netizens of CA, is to see what you think of this idea and also to see if you might suggest a different story that might be suitable for this type of project?

TL;DR : I want to create a cohesive portfolio of character, environment, creature and industrial designs based on a single story la "The Skillful Huntsman". I was thinking of using "The Wizard of Oz" as a basis do to its wide range of these aspects. Anyone got any other suggestions for a story that might be suitable for this type of project?

And do be sure to check out my sketchbook if you have time!
    ketchook
    LinkedIn
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Life After Death...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I assume you are referring to the posthumously released second and final studio album by American rapper The Notorious B.I.G.?

If I was going to base the project on rap music I guess I would use "Shakey Dog", the second track off of Fishscale, the fifth studio album by American rapper, and Wu-Tang Clan member Ghostface Killah.

Anyway, I was thinking that by using a well known story, half the battle would be finished before I started.

ketchook
    LinkedIn

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Yeti Ball For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is not only the wrong section of the site for collaborative works, but also I believe, the wrong site entirely. Unless you have a selection of images for us to critique or discuss, I advise you seek help elsewhere, most likely on a writing forum.

CRITIQUE AS YOU WOULD BE CRITIQUED
    http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59
    THE ABOVE LINK IS ALL YOU NEED

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=200044 <- Sketchbook - filled with unhappy things.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordus View Post
    This is not only the wrong section of the site for collaborative works, but also I believe, the wrong site entirely. Unless you have a selection of images for us to critique or discuss, I advise you seek help elsewhere, most likely on a writing forum.
    Holy overreaction, Batman! He's not looking for collaborators, just story suggestions. Although yes, it wasn't posted in the best section, so: moved.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe, I wanted to do a similar project for a course last semester. Looking back now I'm rather glad the teacher didn't agree with what I wanted to do, which is exactly what you are planning to do. So you're where I was a few months ago.

What I did was visit the local bookstore/library and walk trough the children books. All kinds of cool stories known too all ages there. I started out looking on the internet, like you're doing now, but it was a hundred times more fun walking in the store looking at all those books with amazing stories. Heck, you don't have to limit yourself to children stories, just walk trough the whole store/library and write down everything that you see as an option.

This is my list from back then:
    • Little Red Riding Hood
    • The Wizard of OZ
    • Rumpelstiltskin
    • The snow queen
    • Sindbad the sailor of the seven seas
    • Pinocchio
    • Psyche and Eros
    • The Nightingale
    • Pied Piper of Hamelin
    • Niels Holgerson
    • The puss in boots

I chose Sindbad back then....it's quite a large story with lots of variety in the characters. environments and what not.

Good luck with it!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LostFayth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks

Thanks Mordus for your input and thanks to Elwell for moving this the the right spot.
    Thanks LostFayth for taking time to respond to my question in a civilized manner. LostFayth, that's a great list. I'm not familiar with all those stories so I will be sure to investigate your suggestions further.
    Why are you now glad you didn't do that project? I figured it would be an impressive portfolio piece to have.

Last edited by Yeti Ball; August 13th, 2010 at 04:29 AM.
    ketchook
    LinkedIn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The reason I wanted to do it is the same as yours. To build a good portfolio.

But the thing is, my major at art school isn't something like "Illustration" or "Concept Art" or whatever. It's "Fine art and design teacher training". In short I need to study a broad aspect of the working field to find my niche and work within that.

Actually, I have found my niche and I wanted to do the project. I had turned it into visual storytelling rather then something like pure concept art. But the teacher didn't agree with my plans for the semester. According to her I'm not someone who should draw and according to her I am, or better said, was not a illustrator.

Long story short: I found something else to work with. I got to draw and illustrate just as I wanted but the subject matter became something else. I was disappointed at first, but then I decided to go along with it and see if something good would come out of it. I've learned a lot by doing something I didn't plan out to do and learned that when you don't expect a lot, surprises are coming your way. That's what makes me glad I didn't do it, the surprise and the chance to work on something different from what I do in my spare time.

Hmm, since you don't know the stories it would take a lot of time to read/investigate them all. I see you're from Shanghai. I know China has a lot of great legends/folklore/stories which you can use. Just take the time to look at as many possibilities as you can

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LostFayth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

I am familiar with unexpected things and the rewards they often hold. As you pointed out, I'm currently living in Shanghai, a place that 3 years ago if you told me I would be living I would have probably said you were crazy. My time spent in this strange city has been something of a long series of unexpected yet rewarding events. So far I'm just enjoying the journey.

I'm glad to hear that things worked out for you.

I am familiar with probably all those stories other then Psyche and Eros and Niels Holgerson. The idea of using Chinese folklore is interesting, the story of The Monkey King would be an obvious, if not done to death, choice. I was actually thinking of maybe doing The Wizard of Oz with a Chinese theme, making Dorthy a girl from Chinese farm and Oz some sort of Sci-fi Asian wonderland or something... I don't know yet. Like I said I'm still working it out in my head.

Thanks again for the input.

ketchook
    LinkedIn

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Try Aesop's Fables.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti Ball View Post
    I am familiar with unexpected things and the rewards they often hold. As you pointed out, I'm currently living in Shanghai, a place that 3 years ago if you told me I would be living I would have probably said you were crazy. My time spent in this strange city has been something of a long series of unexpected yet rewarding events. So far I'm just enjoying the journey.
    I know it's not as "concept-arty," but doing some work based on this would be much more interesting to me than yet another story reimagining.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My Story Idea (very long, I don't expect anyone to actually read this!)

Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    I know it's not as "concept-arty," but doing some work based on this would be much more interesting to me than yet another story reimagining.
    I agree, but I the reason I wanted to choose a well known story was to alleviate some of the the "story telling" aspect of the design.

You know those people who come around here and start spouting about their "story" (see Exhibit A: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=194864)?
    I feel like this type of shit is received mostly with lots of eye rolling and giggles.

I feel like no one really wants to hear about your made up, imaginary world. By using a well known story its a lot easier for people to swallow the information, and do so at a more rapid pace.

But maybe I'm wrong, so off the top of my head here is my story idea:

An ambitious young man arrives in a strange and exotic city. He has traveled there from his small town in a distant land to seek his fortune.
    After spending some time job hunting he comes across and vague help wanted ad, looking for an "assistant who is willing to travel needed ASAP".
    He goes to the address on the advert which turns out to be a cartography shop called "The New Cartographers Inc." Inside he meets a the owner of the shop, who is a screwball, academic type. The Cartographer hires the young man on the spot.
    He informs them that they will be leaving immediately for a trip and explains the purpose:

Long, long ago, the King of the land had a curious fascination (some said an obsession) with maps and charts. He loved collecting maps from all over the world, but always felt that maps were an imperfect, artificial representation of truth. He gathered the greatest cartographers from all over the land, determined to create the most wonderful and truthful map the world had ever known.
    After many years and many unsatisfactory results, the cartographers began working on their most ambitious solution. They constructed a map with a scale of 1:1, which they stretched between towers of scaffolding that rose a mile into the sky. The project took many years and the mandatory effort of all available men in the kingdom to construct.
    When it was finally completed, the map stretched over the entire kingdom, blotting out the sky, like a fabric mirror reflecting back down the roads, rivers and landmarks of the kingdom in a perfect 1:1 image. The King was satisfied, as he felt that this was indeed the most accurate, truthful map ever made.
    To celebrate the completion of the map, the King planned a tour of his kingdom. However, as he traveled from village to village and city to city, he began to realize a horrible truth. In his blind pursuit of his map, he had neglected the other needs of his people. While everyone was busy constructing his vision, the kingdom had fallen into disrepair. Armies from neighboring kingdoms had invaded and conquered portions of his kingdom. Floods, fires and earthquakes had shifted the geography. The map was no longer the beacon of truth he had envisioned!
    Distraught that his obsession with the map had caused so much damage and suffering to his people, he returned to the capital city and made a declaration that map making was forever banned in his lands. The great map was dismantled and cast into the deserts of the far north, where it was left to rot amongst the beasts and demons that walk that land.

The man explained that he was a "New Cartographer", and his goal was to travel to the desert in search of the remains of the map. He had read of a great treasure that once existed in the ancient kingdom, and that old map was the key to finding it! But it would not be easy, as a second group of explorers had left earlier that week in search of the very map!

They set off on a great adventure, facing many challenges and obstacles, finally reaching the desert and finding the map only to realize that the treasure is really...

Okay I don't know how it will end, but how does that sounds for a story?

ketchook
    LinkedIn

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.