Sketchbook: Odiolitos- giving it a try - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Odiolitos- giving it a try

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys!

Sorry I haven't updated before. I've been kinda busy turning the second dino into a design for Threadless... The first I got accepted!! I added some nice crosshatching and turned him into... The Jeffersaur!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work. You did a good job with the hatching; looks squeaky clean.

My Website / My Sketchbook / My DeviantArt

Garlunk|Human|lvl07|pvp00|E0|Siren's Well
    Tomyris|Mystical|lvl02|pvp00|E0|Killrog's Palace
    PAINT HAMMER! The Art Making RPG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha he's adorable and cool at the same time lol. Very cool illustration.
    Oh and awesome we were using the same references for the MMA dudes lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, guys! Thing is, I cheated a bit with the crosshatching: I got some bits and pieces from the original Jefferson drawing, turned them into brushes, and ran with it

I'll tell you if it gets printed, and we can all celebrate

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by odiolitos View Post
    Thanks, guys! Thing is, I cheated a bit with the crosshatching: I got some bits and pieces from the original Jefferson drawing, turned them into brushes, and ran with it

I'll tell you if it gets printed, and we can all celebrate
    Haha that'd be awesome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Weell, well... It's not like I haven't been drawing: it's just I've had a couple commissions and started doing thumbnails for a graphic novel, so had no time to sketch.
    However, boys and girls, here are a couple things I did while waiting for a friend. I saw a guy lying on grass, and thought it might be cool to draw him, and then there's some urban landscapy thing. Nothing amazing, but tried to apply what Nick told me about drawing leaves. May have got it right-ish

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, and in case you're wondering what the sign on this one says, it's "El palacio de las mantas", something like "The palace of blankets". I always found that shop kinda funny, but then again I'm quite easy to amuse

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right, so here's my coconut crab... Those things are scary! I give you pencils, ink and a colour treatment I did for fun. Of course, this took a bit more than the regular sketch, but what the hell...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice job with the crab! I'm glad you were inspired to do so much with it. Great job!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! I think there's some issues with the foreshortening of the pincer, and maybe it looks a bit more like a huge mite than a crab, but anyway, I had lots of fun with it: it's the closest I ever got to a horror illustration ever!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So... Second installment of our sea-related denizens, with the sea pig!

These guys are funny. No conventional anatomy, loads of tentacle-like stuff... I had great fun with this one!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great job with the sea pig! Those things are really weird and interesting. I like what you did with the background; it really implies the abyss well. Keep up the good work!

Oh btw, if Ninjacat doesn't come on with a sea pig, could you pick tomorrow's topic and pm it to everyone? Thanks, I'm looking forward to the new topic you choose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Nick! I got carried away with the brush pen there, and wasn't too sure if it worked... Really glad you liked it.

Fine, so it's really late and I got carried away on this little exercise of drawing a frame from a film (this is from "Away we go"). Here's the result just before bedtime:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So... here's an olive tree. I always loved the texture on their trunk, its knots, and how the leaves on them always look dusty. And I saw a photo of a 3000-year old one. Wow!

I shouldn't call this a sketch, 'cause it took me an hour, but anyway, I got carried away

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Superb ink skills, the leaves on the last drawing look great. I have to agree with you, old trees like that are really cool looking. Keep up the nice work, look forward to seeing more.

Check out my sketchbook: Draw or Die

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! The pentel brush pen was really a godsend See you around!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work on this one, odiolitos! I like what you did with the foliage it looks like a nice breezy day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NickTrip: Thanks, man... This was one of those where you can't quite believe you've done it. I'm really proud of it!

Now that I'm done with my self-praise, time for some uglier stuff for my dinosaur comic. The first one is OK-ish (I don't really like the pterodactyl's wings), and the second is more of a rough test on how to get a dinosaur to wear jewels and a velvet dress

Oh, and I'll post the daily assignment later on, 'cause it's beddy time here in Spain.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work. I actually like the bottom one more, I think it's funnier. I would say watch your shadow shapes a little bit and look for areas that are getting a little too complicated and try to simplify them a little bit so the forms can read a little better. For example the far side of ptery's chair right below her head; the dark bit of chair above his right elbow; the texture on the chair next to his right leg; the stuff under and to the side of his chin; the shadow under the table is a little confusing, like the shape isn't spot on. Also watch for tangents like how his right claw perfectly touches the edge of the chair. And also, the cups on the table, the ellipses for their bottoms don't line up right.

For the bottom one: its the same deal with cleaning up and simplifying shapes so they read better, but mostly I would say to extend her pointing foot a little bit and make it stand out a little more, it sort of gets a little lost. The last last thing I would like to mention (I swear) is the weather board. I know its just a test image about dressing the dino, but weather board offers an opportunity for some extra humor. You could have a volcano on there, or expanding tar pits, or a diagram of the continents moving, a spot about an asteroid passing by soon, or even a big Global Cooling crisis (must be all the hairspray those dinos use).

Annnyway, I think you did a great job with these and I'm excited to see some more. Hopefully I didn't bombard you with crits too much, I'm really just nitpicking. What's cool though is in time you won't have to think about most of this kind of stuff and you'll just automatically take care of it.

Hrm, nice work.

Last edited by NickTrip; September 2nd, 2010 at 10:16 PM. Reason: clarity

20. The Following User Says Thank You to NickTrip For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I'm really grateful for your crits, and in fact you pointed out the things that were wrong, no more, no less. I took your advice, and basically simplified the shadows and some shapes that looked a bit off.

In fact, I took comfort in Frank Miller's adage: "if there's no valuable information, put black" instead of my usual picky hatching-stuff-to-death, which I normally hate but sometimes can't seem to shake off. I think it reads a lot better this time.

Oh, and you totally read my mind... See that shapeless thing to the left of the weather board? When it grows up, it wants to be an asteroid falling I'll take note of Pangea breaking up and tar pits. Nice!

Again, thanks a lot: that's the kind of stuff I need someone to tell me If that's crits bombardment, bring it on any time!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you've made some positive changes, but I didn't necessarily mean that you needed to get rid of all of your textural marks. I've done a paint over to point out the parts that I mean for correction. You just have to watch where things line up and where you're putting the textural marks. So all of the stuff on the sides of the chair is fine because it doesn't interfere with anything else. The textural marks on the left dino's nose are fine because they don't confuse the form. But the stuff next to his right leg is a distraction from his leg and clutters up the area. Let his leg be the complicated part there and the chair be simple. I know that you're using ink on paper so you can't easily make changes; just stuff to keep in mind as you move forward with other drawings.

Edit: I added in dino4 too to show you the leg thing. Moved the tail and extended the leg to make the pointing leg show more.

Last edited by NickTrip; September 3rd, 2010 at 06:46 AM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to NickTrip For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work i reallly love the whale astronaut
    cool idea

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NickTrip: Thanks a million, man. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this. In fact, I've gone that way on the .psd file of the first version, and also applied some middle grey in there, as I remembered I could use one shade of it in the comic. I'll post both versions later on if I have time...
    inspectorsokar : Thanks a lot! I'm finding out just how fond I am of drawing animals in human outfits through this sketchbook here

And here's some new stuff for today. First off, the cow skull. My, that one was a toughie. As I had to draw my comic, I took very little time, and when I looked back at the photo realized just how wrong one can be. I drew a mock human skull for comparison, and to kinda help me see the pieces and stuff, but I'm not sure if it was a good idea

There's also some were-rat sort of designs, rather half-assed and generic. They also look more like dogs than like Warhammer's skaven, which was the idea. I guess I need to copy a bit more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm also feeling like trying some stuff using pencils alone, but I hate it when they smudge... Any tips on that?
    I used hairspray back in the day, as my teacher told me it worked, but not only my drawings smelled old-ladyish: it still got smudgy, just a bit less...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think your rats aren't really that far off from being rats. Full body with a tail would really push it over, but you could get more rat reference and fine tune.

For the pencil thing, what you could do is use harder pencils like 2h or h and don't push very hard. As a matter of fact, I use hb leads and they don't smear on me too much. Its just the idea that the harder you push and the more lead you put on the paper the more it's going to smear. Buut if you want dark darks you really gotta stick with the inks. Pencils are good for sketching and whatnot, but if you're trying to achieve the effect you're getting with the ink now, you're not going to get it with pencil.

Anyway, yeah, harder pencils and not pushing too hard will greatly reduce the smudging. You don't want to have to spray every single pencil drawing anyway.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice updates Odiolitos. Your ink work is impressive Great job with all the memory sketches as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking at your stuff reminds me of the time when I started drawing, dreaming of becoming a comic artist. Happy days...

Love your olive tree and robber crab too =)

Not too sure about the cow skull though... first impression when I saw it was a gorilla skull...

CA Sketchbook

Deviantart

Blog

SSG:

Sonia Leticia / Ninjacat / Demo / Odiolitos / Nicktrip / HolyBovine

Never too old, too lousy, too crap. Only too lazy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NickTrip: Thanks, man! Yeah, I think I'll stick with ink and watercolor for the sketchbook, and maybe my good old 3H/H combo I've got some "rattier"- looking rats here for you!!
    Sonia Leticia: Thanks a lot! I'm trying to broaden my skills, though, 'cause just ink won't get me too far... Anyway, I'll still use it for sketching and the comic. I'll check your stuff in no time!
    HolyBovine: Ha ha, guess we all gotta start somewhere... Actually I started with my webcomic, and am trying to open up new ways with watercolours and stuff, so yeah, I guess I'm following an old path

So, here's a bit of what I've done while offline. And I have to tell you, I've fallen head over heels for my new water brush: being able to sketch with watercolours on the train home just ROCKS!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Soo... some random poses, and an iceberg. I tried to go more for colours and the optical effect of ice under water than giving it a structure. Hope you like them!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Grizzly says hi! I'd like to paint this guy and work a bit more on the iceberg with digital if I get some time off my comic, but make no promises... Stay tuned, folks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.