Spartan Camp #146 - 50 gestures + Optional "Shadow Study"

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Thanked 1,646 Times in 673 Posts
    Follows
    Following

The aim is to produce 50 gestures by Sunday the 14th of August.

- The gestures can be of anything, human, animal, cavorting capybaras.... You can draw full figures, but you can also go for heads, arms, eyes, or anything specific. All media can be used, both digital or traditional. Coloured or black/white. Quick scribbles or long studies. Imagination or referenced. Clothed or nude. Specifics are up to you!

- In addition to this, participants can choose to do an Optional "Shadow Study", in any medium.
    Additional notes on this weeks’ Optional Study:

Any study or drawing involving shadow. This does not have to be a figure or gesture drawing, a still life would be fine as well. Main goal is to focus on light and, consequently, shadow.
    I have compiled a small list of possible reading material out of my bookmarks, if anyone is interested. Some of this may be quite technical, but the basics are very comprehensive.

http://www.artinstructionblog.com/dr...ight-and-shade <--- Covers some of the most important concepts

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/14264...-h/14264-h.htm <--- this thing is huge, relevant info is somewhere around '100'

http://www.itchy-animation.co.uk/light.htm <--- just for the second picture.

Colour, medium, time frame, any specifics are up to you! Have fun!

50 poses is a challenge, but don't hurry or stress yourself reaching it! Focus on drawing, as practising is the main goal of this exercise.

Critting each other is highly encouraged!! Share constructive criticism, reference and resources!! Let's help each other get better!

Come on soldiers! Flex those muscles!!

HALL OF FAME - SPARTAN CAMP #145

shiNIN
    sprawl
    aprat
    Anthis

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kicking off!

Spartan Camp #146 - 50 gestures + Optional "Shadow Study"Spartan Camp #146 - 50 gestures + Optional "Shadow Study"
    Spartan Camp #146 - 50 gestures + Optional "Shadow Study"Spartan Camp #146 - 50 gestures + Optional "Shadow Study"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ooooooo! just discovered this and its awesome. kinda already started this on my own without seeing these threads but i cant make it this week as its the final for a summer class im taking and im leaving to college on monday () but next week for sure! anthis, ive seen you on cow, right? looks like youre improving!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man! Yeap we were in the CoW challenge. I'll be joining this week, hope to see you there again soon, your portal guardian was pretty good.
    Either way, just give the spartan camp a try someday. You may just like it!
    And thanks too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    anthis Man you really pulled it off this week! Those gestures are looking really fluid and have great form. The faces have some really awesome character to them too. Just keep doing what you're doing!

--

Man, missed last week altogether. This week's a bit light, but at least I've gotten somethin!

A few full body gestures, some experimental hands, some hand/feet/arm/head gestures with anatomy overlays, and a couple faces.

Still need a lot of work with my pencils/value!

By the way, I was wondering what the stars next to some people's names are for if someone can fill me in. Just curious.

Attached Images Attached Images          

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikHolfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anthis - Looking really good this week. The faces are coming along really nicely.
    eekolite - Taking studying anatomy very seriously i see. They look excellent. On the arm you drew from memory i'd say the bicep is too big.

The first one is the only one done without reference.
    Spartan Camp #146 - 50 gestures + Optional "Shadow Study" Spartan Camp #146 - 50 gestures + Optional "Shadow Study"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to aprat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    eekolite- thanks, I actually let go of all distraction this one time and did them all in one go. Seems a bit of focus goes a long way. The star indicates someone has done the optional study in the previous round. It's a leftover from when I picked up this activity (I didn't start, several people kept this going before me). I may rewrite this activity at some point and remove it because its somewhat odd.
    Those are great studies. I like that you've indicated a couple of the most important muscles. I don't think there's merit in learning every single muscle at this point, but knowing the major ones really works. At least, that's my take on it. Those hands may get much stronger if you expand a bit on the wrist/lower arm a bit more.

aprat - Thanks! Yea those faces are tough. Luckily they are fun to do. Nice going, I especially like the poses of the 3rd picture. They're complex poses, but they remain comprehensive. You figured out some major shadowed and lighted areas and the whole thing comes together. Some very smart marks in the face of the bottom left figure too. I'm a bit dry on real criticism I'm afraid ;|

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.