Hours of drawing
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Hours of drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hours of drawing

Hello,my name is Kevin aka KSor. I'm 15 years old and im in the making of becoming a Concept Artist.
    I draw everyday but I'm wondering how many hours do i draw? I currently draw for about 4 hours a day. Is that enough hours or do i go more extreme?
    I really want to be an artist so if you say 8 hours a day then i'm totally up for it

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kevin,

4 hours is not enough by far. Here's the rule: you are 15 so make it 15 hours a day minimum. Well you should make it 20 hours/day actually, to make up for the hours you won't have when you are 25...

Seriously: 1/ draw as often as you feel like 2/ draw as often as you need to attain your goals.

Balance 1/ and 2/ as well as you can and you'll have the amount of time most appropriate for you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol wow Really 15 hours! The top artist in my grade draws only 6 hours.Well if 15 hours is the right amount for me to attain my goal and progress in my art to become a concept artist then i will for now on O.o draw for 15 hours a day!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AznKsor View Post
    Lol wow Really 15 hours! The top artist in my grade draws only 6 hours.Well if 15 hours is the right amount for me to attain my goal and progress in my art to become a concept artist then i will for now on O.o draw for 15 hours a day!
    I'm sure SouMeng was being sarcastic in the first part. The second part was fantastic advice though. 15 hours is gonna burn you out, just draw however much you feel like. 4 hours is already plenty to improve, you're only 15 Don't work so much you're gonna hate drawing before your career even starts!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sacari For This Useful Post:

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    At your age, I was hold up in my room for the complete summer vacation from school doing nothing but drawing.

It all depends on you & what you want from learning. That gauges how much you work at learning & how long.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    At your age I was obsessively playing "Carrier Command" on the Atari ST.

I didn't draw much but I nearly nailed the AI carrier..

I did score "deadly" on Elite though..

Edit: serious answer, if you like to paint and draw, paint and draw. It's not a math equation, paint stuff, read some books, get outside, go to museums, try a different medium, draw things, paint more stuff.

Last edited by Flake; August 10th, 2010 at 12:46 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah Im gonna agree with everyone here, its sorta self explanatory really. I mean, if you want to be a concept artist, there shouldnt be a time limit on the hours you put into your work, you should just want to do it, ot be better.

I think the fact that you actually know how long you spend drawing is an indictaion to me that you need to draw more. I just graduated from art school, I iliterally spent every night there from 12p to 11p doing nothing but paint and sitting in on classes.

You can absolutely see the difference it makes when you really spend the time and just do what you love. I really wish I would have discovered this site when I was 15, so props for you for that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whenever you feel like drawing, go for it. Just don't make drawing a chore especially when you're so young.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JJacks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

There's no right answer for this, but if you're really passionate and have the time, you would be using all your free time to draw.

No girlfriend, no games, no sports, no time-wasting crap will give you around 14 - 15 hours of drawing per day.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AznKsor View Post
    Whoosh.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Zazerzs is offline ....bing me the bore worms Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    15 is a good age to begin serious art instruction. Search out art schools in your area to take classes from, preferable those structured like an atelier.

Start practicing the basics, form drawing, perspective, and drawing objects from life.

Start learning a cannon of proportions for the figure (like the 8 head breakdown) and anatomy,starting with the bones then the muscles.

Start a sketchbook here, put the link in your sig and get posting. Don't worry about the quality of your work ,just start with what you have.

Its fine to want to be the best in your school but remember how small of a pond that is, take a look around online and see what other kids at 15 are doing.

goodluck.

"Talent is a word found in the mouth of the lazy to dismiss the hard work of those who have achieved."
    Anatomy Thread
    Sketchbook
    Interested in learning more about color? Read this!
    Fletcher:Color Control

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zazerzs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are only 15, don't be too hard on yourself. There is no point in trying to be a great artist as young (naive) as possible. By great I mean your pieces as a whole, not your technical ability. Your best work will come as you mature. Don't set a strict goal to be a concept artist. Some of your views will change while learning and ageing. 4 hours a day is pretty good for improvement.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You'll find the right amount of time for yourself! If 4 hours works for you but you want to push yourself, just keep increasing your time until you hit the point where you are just put off by the idea of drawing for that long, then back off a couple hours so you don't burn yourself out!
    The suggestion of finding local courses to take is also an excellent suggestion, plus it will give you a few more hours of drawing each week but with the added bonus of instruction and additional critique!
    When I was your age..well suffice to say I wouldn't suggest to my own son to relive my 15 year old summer so, we will leave it at that!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When you start taking your sketchbook to the toilet to draw, thats about enough.
    I dont know, at 15 i was only draw for fun and for friends, not really taking it seriously.
    My advice is just dont get stuck into a artistic tunnel vision, if you see most of your works beginning to look the same, try something new.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon_OND View Post
    There's no right answer for this, but if you're really passionate and have the time, you would be using all your free time to draw.

No girlfriend, no games, no sports, no time-wasting crap will give you around 14 - 15 hours of drawing per day.
    Sorry dude, but that's terrible advice.

Your approach might feasibly give you good technique but you'll have had no life at all, art comes from a reaction or response to life, experiences, things you have done or seen, y'know . The sort of thing you will never experience obsessively rendering an apple for 3 years...

"Holy shit!, I should paint this!" moments are unlikely if you're still in your bedroom shading that apple instead of paying attention to the cool thing you just saw..(or didn't see because you were worrying about which colours would make a core shadow on an apple....)

No life = nothing worthwhile to say = meat camera.

I own ..5? cameras and they're all more accurate than you will ever be, why try to compete with that?

Last edited by Flake; August 11th, 2010 at 09:08 AM. Reason: grammar, questionable.

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like what flake had to say

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Hang MaN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You need to spend some time, as well, LOOKING at good art.

Otherwise, all that drawing will have no direction!

Good luck and keep drawing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post
    Sorry dude, but that's terrible advice.

Your approach might feasibly give you good technique but you'll have had no life at all, art comes from a reaction or response to life, experiences, things you have done or seen, y'know . The sort of thing you will never experience obsessively rendering an apple for 3 years...

"Holy shit!, I should paint this!" is unlikely if you're still in your bedroom shading that apple 2 years later instead of paying attention to the cool thing you just saw..(or didn't see because you were worrying about which colours would make a core shadow on an apple....)

No life = nothing worthwhile to say = meat camera.

I own ..5? cameras and they're all more accurate than you will ever be, why try to compete with that?
    LOL, apparently, I didn't really think hard about this issue before.
    I've always thought that when it comes to drawing, more time to practice skill pencil mileage = better, even if it means no life.

But then again, most of us aspire to be artists for a reason: we have a statement to make, and that's why we draw. Me included!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i completely agree with flake. you need a balance you have to go out have fun live life experience as much as possible get a girlfriend get into trouble let your mind wander think about the reason you exist think about where the world came from study many different subjects, party, meditate, then draw. you dont want to burn out on drawing or miss out on anything life has to offer you. O and at 15 you should be going to school so... just draw during your classes youll rack up alot of hours of practice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do what I did when I was 15 - get grounded every day before you even get home from school - with no tv, computer, parties, phone or allowance, you'll find the best way to show "them" you don't need any of that sh*t is to hole up in your room and silently draw for hours. Of course, I look back now and can't believe I wasn't sent to boarding school, so maybe I got lucky - I was quite a hellion once I hit puberty. Oh, and also, start behaving well again and helping out around the house when vacation is getting near, so you can talk your parents into sending you to community art classes

Members who have read this thread: 1