Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Huhu

cool sketchbook so far.

As the others allready said you have to work on the proportions

I think you put the eyes a bit to height in your portraits.

Keep it up!

Just another Journey...

“Success is simple. Do what's right, the right way, at the right time.”
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to N E X T For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Istmin52 View Post
    I can sort of relate to your situation and the fact that you are doing this without any form of instruction (well besides this site) must be hard for you at times. Do you have a support group at all? Like, does your family support you through this artistic journey? Just curious. Having that support is important. Also, what is your initial goal? What do you hope to achieve?
    I have to say that from someone who has been to art college I have some mixed feelings about it. I def did learn something out of it but when I got out of college, I realized my skills were not strong enough at all and to this day it is pretty frustrating for me because I have been teaching myself plus some of the knowledge I was taught in college to help me improve my skills. I would say, maybe try to find at least one class to attend to. Maybe a figure drawing class or something. Try to look for classes here and there from colleges that offer continuing ed classes. It's just an idea. At least this way you can meet other people with the same interest as you and you can gain some great experience from drawing models live than from a photograph. I guess my point is that art college isn't always necessarily the answer to have a career.
    I feel that your portraits are getting better but still feel a bit flat. I think it's because there aren't any real darks or lights. Everything is almost one tone. Try to light yourself in good lighting so that you can really see the form well. There is a really good streaming video on lighting here that explains certain lighting situations on the face. It's pretty helpful. I wish you luck on your journey.
    Well the main reason I'm not in any sort of college is that my father screwed me out of my college fund, and my mom isn't around anymore to give me a hand so I've been on my own for the most part on that part. I do have a select few extended family members and close friends though luckily that support my art and what I'm going for. And my ultimate goal like practically every artist is to be able to support myself with my art work. I hope to do it doing concept art for video games or films later down the road, but freelance work doing illustrations or whatever would be bitchin. Right now I'm trying to get my foundations down. I've been buying some of the streaming classes and dvds conceptart.org provides.. and after some saving I'm gonna be taking some classes at my community college.

And yea I see what you mean about my portraits. I gotta stop being a pussy when it comes to laying down darks and values lol. ..Thanks for the crit and stopping by

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The more finished one is actually of a pic I have as my facebook profile pic if anyone wants to compare. (link in my signature) .. I hate it
    And an extremely rough one that I didn't have too much time to work on.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep up the good work Sonia. There is definite improvement in your sp's. I'd say what has already been said, increase the value range.
    If you are observing in a mirror, maybe set up some dramatic lighting to exaggerate the shadows and give yourself something to work with. Daily is good but spend 2 days now and then and practise blending a little more. Cool stuff.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jigje For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really sorry about your father screwing you over like that. That is really unfortunate and really sucks. Yea I guess the reason why I started a sketchbook was to work on my foundation skills as well. Sorry to be nosy. I was just curious.

I think your last portrait is heading in the right direction. Maybe you can try and do some black and white self portraits so you can focus purely on value and then transition into color. That might be a good idea to resolve some of your issues and this way, you can just focus on value. Just an idea.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two very fast self portraits done on tracing paper with pencil (all I had at the moment) They're pretty grayed out but going to work on some more tomorrow and really focus on some values.

And no worries Istmin I have no problem answering the questions. & thanks for stopping by and the crit. I think I'm going to do some of these in charcoal.. I haven't worked with it in so long and think it might help me push those values I need to work on.

Thanks everyone for the crits so far

And to my ssg I'll be posting up the sketches soon.. been pretty busy lately with personal life stuff.. I've only had time for the portraits. I'll get to them shortly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I quite like your idea of doing a daily self-portrait, and you sure are moving forward with them, but here's an idea: How about doing a different style every week? I'm thinking a week of cartoony ones, another of focusing on nothing but the structure, then colour, maybe later trying your hand at crosshatching... Could be a nice way to push your live drawing skills!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick pencil self portrait and some studies..

And that seems like a fun idea Odiolitos. Something I might consider. Or might hop around different ideas day to day. I'm just going with the flow right. Past couple days I've only been able to squeeze in some pencil sketches.. same thing is gonna be this whole weekend. My brain is tired. ._.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SP with a closeup.. tried my best with proportion and values.. wonder if I should post the picture that I drew of myself from with it for comparison..

Just realized how weird the one side of my lip looks.. blah -_-

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonia Leticia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Had some great advice from Demo to keep having my entire head within the piece.. I think he's right.. makes it look more complete... & here's the beginning of this one.. Dunno if anyone can give me any process advice..but yea.. It's sleepy time now Been awake far too long.. Zzzz

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Diggin' the self portraits Sonia, all the studies are looking good! I do think you should use a more solid base, and harder brushes with the digitals though, just an idea

Keep at it!
    matt

Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another SP.. sharpened the edges in this one.

And @JailHouse, by harder brush you mean sharper brushes? (sorry I'm not completely attuned to all the PS lingo )

& thanks for dropping by

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another SP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your self portraits sure are improving, Sonia... The last one has well defined planes, and the colour's well chosen. Keep 'em coming!!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to odiolitos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woopsie, and just as I was posting my comment, a new one! With green in it!!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to odiolitos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beginning of another SP

Where bears with balalaykas are on the Red Square
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You making basic guidelines, and this is very good. Also do horizontal flip to check if the image is not skewed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great job with the SPs! The hair looks great in posts 99 and 102. You also seem to get the glasses right every time which for me is the hardest part. You've put some dark values on the hair so don't be afraid to go almost as dark on the deepest shadows of the skin. Also, your digitals have the look of washed out watercolors. I think you could make the paintings look more solid using a more opaque brush like on the hair of this one. Anyway, great job, keep the coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow you're doing great with the self portraits! It's great to see that you're sticking with it. It looks like you're slowly making some good progress too. I would say to try to look into the more dimensional qualities of the face and lay the whole thing out, including all of the features, as 3d forms. Use line to work out all of those planes before you start putting down color. You're already starting to do this in your latest one. Just remember that eyes and lips are 3d too. You're making great progress keep it up!

My Website / My Sketchbook / My DeviantArt

Garlunk|Human|lvl07|pvp00|E0|Siren's Well
    Tomyris|Mystical|lvl02|pvp00|E0|Killrog's Palace
    PAINT HAMMER! The Art Making RPG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your self portraits show a really good jump in improvement - well done Give yourself a pat on the back.

I especially like the one in #102.

Anyways, lets see more of that lamp - Unless I missed it.

"Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Live Stream | Portfolio | dA | Facebook | Tumblr |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry have been slow with the posts... been very busy and caught up with life =P

Seraph - thanks for the tip, I completely forgot about doing that.. oops lol

Smuli - thankya, I'll definitely take what looks best out of everything I'm doing and strengthen them as I go, like the hair.

Nick- I may do a few exercises that way.. just so I can get the planes to really seem like they're there and not look so flat.. thanks

Rabbi - thanks so much! .. *pats self* And yes I definitely wanna go back to that lamp! I was just thinking about that the other day... I just gotta find that rare luxury of time :/ lol

And what I'm posting now is first the one I was working on before.. I worked for so long on the proportions, and comparing to the pic that I took of myself I think I got them pretty close, but I'm just so burnt out on the piece I think I'm just gonna move on from it and work on other things..

And then I did an anime illustration just cuz I started to update my DA account, and seeing some of my friend's work inspired me to give it a shot.. I think it's cute, and it was some fun =P

The last one, instead of doing a portrait of my face I took a picture of my entire body infront of a long mirror, and painted my figure (I didn't paint in the camera.. )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another figure one I've started..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hola sonia, post 99 rocks, the colors a bit muddy but really nice feeling to the portrait, i really like the proportions and expression and rendering captured in that post! I think also some use of opaque brushes would help a lot for defined edges, playing around with edges are mucho lots fun so go and play!! keep up the hardwork, already see big improvements!!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to snootchy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you've been making some great progress. I really like the feeling from the last post. I do agree with JailHouseRock2 though that you should use a different brush. Are you using mostly soft brushes? I would try just using the regular round brush or the charcoal brush. The charcoal brush is pretty good actually. I use that one a lot. I think what JailHouseRock2 is trying to say is that sometimes the portraits can look a little blurry and sometimes your edges aren't sharp enough. Just a thought.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Istmin52 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a self portrait a day mmm keep it up

33. The Following User Says Thank You to andres333 For This Useful Post:

Where bears with balalaykas are on the Red Square
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And suddenly - great anime style and execution! You've managed all proportions right! Why don't you try to render out smth from anime style to realistic? Maybe this will be your key to realistis painting.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Seraph Fawkes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice portraits keep struggling ur doin great

Cheers/ your friend PMB

"Painting my brain with memories of the future"
    Pencil and brush is my choice of weapons!

My Sketchbook!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=177145&page=8

37. The Following User Says Thank You to PaintMyBrain For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the last post. The way the thin black lines blend with the color of the jean is great. Maybe try some drawings on that style but use only basic shading so to keep the lines still visible. It's a nice way to show forms. I did something similar when i was drawing with my left hand and it was really interesting. Keep up.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to knut- For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That mantis is cool, but draw more, there are amazing types. Your self-portraits are definitely improving, look out for the shadows.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to pixel cheetah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I'm back, :3

snootchy - thanks for the advice
    Istmin - yea I've been having issues with brushes, I started to fiddle a bit but now I'm distracted with my actual sketchbook and my pen.
    Andres - unfortunately reality gave me a punch to the face and I can't do it anymore Full time job is a real time killer lol.. trying to sort out my time between all of my responsibilities. .. I might squeeze it down to a few a week instead of one a day
    Seraph - Thanks dude :3 And that's a good idea.. when I'm painting again I think I'll give that a go..
    Paint - thanks =)
    Knut - thanks, and painting with your left hand? Sounds like fun times
    Pixel - Thanks, and yea I have more improving to go. Thanks for stopping by!

So here are a few studies I've been doing in my actual sketchbook during my breaks at work, or early in the morning or late at night. I had a hiatus and didn't do anything for a while, but I think now I'm getting a flow between work and personal time.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2