C.O.W. #185_Rusty Metal Eater_Finals Thread

View testimonialsView Artwork

View Poll Results: Vote for your favorite Rusty Metal Eater!

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • jrbarker

0 0%
  • lkjhgfdsa

5 10.87%
  • Aeronik

1 2.17%
  • emerging

3 6.52%
  • (lark

2 4.35%
  • Chong

1 2.17%
  • Snarfevs

0 0%
  • xbert

1 2.17%
  • porcupine

0 0%
  • JanJager

30 65.22%
  • Anthis

3 6.52%
  • Rich3

0 0%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 429 Posts
    Follows
    Following

C.O.W. #185_Rusty Metal Eater_Finals Thread

C.O.W. #186 Rusty Metal Eater - VOTING!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROUND #186 VOTING

Topic: Rusty Metal Eater

Deadline for the voting: Tuesday August 24th 2010

Posting thread (closed): http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=176212

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scorge; August 18th, 2010 at 12:30 AM.
    Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Artist: J.R. Barker

Concept: Metal Eater

These creatures feed on the remnants of a world that has long since passed on. They have evolved to be able to extract nutrients from the plentiful bounty of twisted and rusting metal. The beast features a sort of "power shovel" head that can dig through debris and rubble. His meal is further processed inside his mouth where a corrosive and acidic saliva collects and breaks down the material. There is also an inner mouth with nubby metallic teeth which break down the objects further. Once the material is swallowed, it is transported through a series of chambers and stomachs where it is further broken down. This process creates an enormous amount of toxic gases. These are expelled through metallic-like pipes that reside on the back of these creatures. As the beast gets older, it's "pipes" and external shovel-beak tend to grow in size due to a lifetime of ingesting different metals.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: lkjhgfdsa

Concept: Crabbage the rusty metal eater

Crabbage have specialized sets of mandibles that allow them to quickly whittle down rusting metal into a nourishing slop.
    The high level of oxidized iron in its diet (as well as its need to roll in filth) gives the Crabbage a rusty colouration similar to its post-apocalyptic surrounds.

The word ‘anarchy’ comes from the ancient Greek αναρχία in which αν meant ‘without’ and αρχία meant first a military ‘leader’ and then ‘ruler’. Anarchist society is one ‘without rulers’: a classless, non-hierarchical society.
    “You need people like me.
    You need people like me so you can point your grubby fingers and say, "That's the bad guy.""

SKETCHY Book

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lkjhgfdsa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Aeronik

Concept: Rustoceros

Here's my rather conservative entry. The topic suggested to me that this creature might exist in the near future among the detritus of human civilisation. So I chose to work with a not too distant descendant of an existing animal that could conceivably develop the caustic digestive ability to deal with metals. And nostalgically, the fact that these guys are endangered for the sake of the sexual insecurities of a few overwealthed, underbrained humans really grinds my gears - so it warms my cynical heart to think they may outlast us.

Last edited by Aeronik; August 15th, 2010 at 04:04 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aeronik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Emerging

Concept: Hopping Junkroach
    In the wastelands of post apocalyptic cities, junkroach roams neverending junkyards in a grasshopper fashion looking for the most delicious pieces of rusty metal. These creatures are believed to be a mutated cross of a cockroach, rat or even human as a result of tremendous amounts of radiation. Junkroach is one of the few more complex lifeforms that inhabits these areas and has no virtual enemies or predators that could pose danger to this species. But even in this devastated by war and radiation deserted city mother nature is seeking the balance: the creature is pretty much self destructive as the amount of metal it consumes is slightly more than the amount of metal it's powerful stomach can digest and process. Because of this by the time the creature has reached its adulthood its stomach is filled with metal deposits that make the creature immobile. And so it dies.

Last edited by emerging; August 16th, 2010 at 04:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: (lark

Concept: the volusian cleaner bugs

the volusians are a highly intelligent race of beings that travel throughout the universe looking for planets that have been destroyed by their inhabitants. they seek them so that they might cleanse them, and allow them to be reborn. once they find these post apocalyptic planets, they release these guys, the volusian cleaner bugs.

once released onto a wasted planet, the bugs search out unnatural, natively created material. and more specifically metals. the volusians have bred these creatures to digest and gain nutrition from what they call, "tainted metal" or rusted metals. the reasoning is that they have found efficient ways of cleaning other waste such as toxic refuse, and radiation. but for some reason have always had difficulty removing formed, and in turn degrading metal material. thus the need for these guys.

the bugs eat the metal by producing a highly acidic bile, which they purge onto the metal they seek to ingest. the bile breaks down the metal on a molecular level turning it into a kind of liquid state. once this happens the bug will use its sucker-like protrusion on the underside of its body to suck up the bile-liquid metal stew. this usually takes them about 50 to 70 generations to purge a planet of its "bad" metal (the bugs life span being about 5 years), or approximately 250-300 years. the volusians don't mind the wait because they are a patient, shamanic species that feel they are saving the universe by returning damaged worlds to their natural state, all done in order to start the process of life over again.

rusty metal eater final.jpg

10. The Following User Says Thank You to (lark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After a couple of entries in character of the week I thought I'd give Creature a shot this week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: snarfevs

Concept: Versatile Bioreclamation Organism

Engineered by ComarcaKolibriBiotech in the wake of rapacious environmental destruction eventually culminating in a number of major resource wars and a precipitous decline in global biodiversity, the VBO was developed to help clean some of the world's worst ecological disaster zones.

This species is capable of efficiently metabolising or sequestering a large number of waste metals, which it integrates into its carapace to lend enormous compressive and tensile strength to its various incisors. The claw on its head acts as a sort of biological tin-snip, allowing it to cut sheet metal, wires and foil into manageable chunks. Scaled for size, its bite is the most powerful known and is capable of shattering nitrided steel. This species can also secrete a rather reactive digestive solution of concentrated hydrogen peroxide and nitric acid, which assists in breaking down tough junk, be it e-waste, military wreckage or unexploded ordnance.

They love depleted uranium and are not recommended as pets. Their bright colouration is due to the sequestration of a number of colourful but toxic heavy metal salts in their pygidial segment. This accumulation eventually results in a sort of mange that is eventually fatal. The colour intensifies over time until they are 'ripe', at which point they may be 'harvested' by recyclers to reclaim their metal content.

ComarcaKolibriBiotech has received mixed appraisals regarding the ethics of engineering this species, especially in light of the fact that they sell a proprietary repellent to keep the creatures away from load-bearing structures and vehicles.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snarfevs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Scrapworm

Artist: xbert

Concept: Scrapworm
    A wormlike species colloquial known as scrapworm that eats all kind of metal originally living at mountains and deep caves devouring iron ore its now often located scavenging at past battlefields.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RaphaelLuebke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: porcupine

Concept: Rust eater

We always belived that the rats and roaches would be the only species surviving a nuclear war.
    We were wrong.
    However there is not many scientists left among us and we do not have access to any research equipment so we simply dont know what species evolved into this. Atleast they arent touching non corroded materials so the shelter is safe. It seems like they are dependant on corrosion to feed, or maybe it's the rust itself they thrive on. We tried to hunt them for food, they are slow and easy to spot but our weapons wont penetrate their thick hides. Useless.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to porcupine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: JanJager

Concept: Rust eater
    You don't want it on your car.

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JanJager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 683 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Anthis

Concept: Rusty metal eater

As they devour the rusting metals on waste disposal planets, these creatures work their way trough piles and piles of metal trash. Elements required for chemosynthesis are extracted and accumulate on the body itself if 'food' is abundant. Their home planet of Belphon is nearly depleted, and many populations have been moved to various scrapyards and junk planets by humans. The remaining few have gone cannibalistic.

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Rich3

Concept: Acid Scavenger
    Wandering the garbage wastes of Earth, these lizard-like creatures depend on select metals for growth and sustenance. Cutting chunks out of the waste with regurgitated acid forced through their tongue the creature swallows pieces whole. Excess minerals form growths on the skeleton which act as sensors, allowing the scavenger to feel and negotiate it's surroundings.

cow7final.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 542 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yay! Crit time!

lkjhgfdsa - A strong entry in terms of texture, lighting and form. My one crit would be that the mandibles seem a tab asymmetrical which looks awkward.
    Aeronik - While I feel it's really well rendered and beautiful, I feel like it's almost too possible for the concept. It looks less like it eats rusty metal because it seems to much like it could be a real animal. Does that make sense?
    emerging - I love your creature's expression, and the design is simple but effective, in part, because of it's personality. There's an odd sloppiness to your piece that I don't generally associate with your overall style.
    (lark - Very nicely done with a good description to back it up. I would've liked to have seen the tail end of the creature tightened up a bit. With a design like this, I also find that a patterning on the creature helps with visual interest. It's personal taste I guess, but I feel the creature's design could be improved with a simple speckle-patterned back.
    Chong - The similarity in tone and hue between your creature and your background makes it a bit harder to read that it really should be, which is something to bear in mind in the future. I like the external skeleton and I would like to see that idea pushed to the limit with this. What would those bones look like exposed to rust constantly? Does it have a inner skeleton as well as an exoskeleton and why did it develop like that?
    snarfevs - Another really interesting and well executed original design. I'm wondering what the giant upper pincer is for when it's main prey appears to small bit of metal, which appears to be the only inconsistency as I see it. On the other hand, it looks rad, so why not have a giant pincer?
    xbert - It's a simple but effective design. I really like the soft, dulled look of it's plates. It really looks like old metal. I would've maybe like to have seen the same types of patterns on it's head repeated in it's lower portions, which feel more rushed.
    porcupine - It's interesting to see the really cute design juxtaposed such a concept like this. The look in it's eyes combined with the rain and the rusty food makes the creature look sad and pathetic in the best way. I suppose I just wish the design were a little less simplified.
    JanJager - I think this is my favorite piece I've seen you do. The rendering of the metal is stellar, the design is nigh flawless. It's really believable and speaks entirely for itself. You had my vote from the first wip you posted of this.
    Anthis - Really well done alien design. I love the chrome head and the way it's formed almost like a frozen splash of liquid metal. I wish the arms had the same level of intricacy and execution as they feel a little rushed. In ways I wish the legs were more incorporated with the metallic design, but I think they work as is just fine.
    Rich3 - This design is pretty hard to read. I can understand it well enough, but the positioning of the legs feels ambiguous at times, and the lighting effects from it's seemingly lambent spikes seem underdone. If the detail was really pushed in this one it would be a really solid piece.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jrbarker: Decent concept and good anatomy, but the shading and values could be tightened up a lot - as it stands there's insufficient contrast to tell where the creature ends and the background begins around the lower torso. I like the jaw structure.
    lkjhgfdsa Great musculature, novel head structure and a simple but effective background. The fur on the lower legs is very well done.
    Aeronik: Expertly drawn and rendered, but hard to distinguish from an actual rhinocerous. Whilst there's nothing inherently wrong with that, I feel that the extent to which you could adapt any other creature to fill the same niche speaks against the strength of the concept. Anyhow, the art itself is top notch.
    emerging: Really liked this one, great colour choices, solid anatomy and like lkjhgfdsa a simple but effective background.
    (lark: Certainly solid, perhaps not up to your usual standard. I think you could have tightened up the rendering around the bottom of the creature as well as the car, as well as increased the contrast in focal areas.
    Chong: Dynamic pose, decent anatomy, let down by a garish backgound. A story would have been interesting.
    xbert: This one is simple but really tight. Great palette. Excellent economy of strokes.
    porcupine: The blurb adds a lot and makes me think this creature would be right at home picking through junk piles in Shadow of Chernobyl like a terrifying, irradiated version of Snuggles the fabric softener bear.
    JanJager: That's some awesome rendering right there. This pic is very well done with the exception of some smeariness around the top-right background and righ edge of the shell. Those chrome finish eggs (?) are an excellent touch.
    Anthis: Just awesome, and gets my vote. excellent focus.
    Rich3: This creature is anatomically vague and the pic as a whole could have used a lot more polish. Values are good though.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Snarfevs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jrbarker:
    i like the head of your creature but maybe its not clear enough that it eats metal.
    maybe some definite light source would have make this image much more believable!

lkjhgfdsa
    :
    its nice to see that every of your contest_of_week imaes have such a great amount of detail cool and great looking creature concept. you got my vote because it looks believable its mouth looks like its able to chunk of even thick parts of metal!

Aeronik:
    Well rendered but in my opinion it looks to much like a prehistoric rhino discovering some scrap than a creature who wants to eat this scrap , good entry anyway!

emerging:
    Good colors and cool creature design but i agree with Si Swe that it looks a bit sloppy

(lark:
    good creature design maybe the car is a bit out of perpective, and imho it lacks a bit of contrast

Chong:
    I fully agree with Si Swe

Snarfevs:
    Great rendering but a bit confusing creature design are the brigth things its eyes? they look a little bit picasso-style-misplaced and i dont get how it could move effectively with this sort of legs.. but all-in-all this is a really strong entry!

Porcupine:
    looks sweet and a bit depressive, like that unusual idea, btw is your nick related to porcupine tree ? its my favourite band

JanJager:
    as i said in the wip thread: great idea well executed, sometimes your brushstrokes seem a bit too soft for me. was hardly thinking wether to vote for yours or for lkjhgfdsa was a hard descision

Anthis:
    Very good design and rendering - nothing to crit, sorry

Rich3:
    Sadly your design is very hard to read, im sure that the initial idea was cool, maybe you didnt got enough time ?! with a bit more work on creatures structure and skin this would be very cool i guess

--------------------------------------------

what a great round!

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RaphaelLuebke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jrbarker: i like the pipe vent things coming out of the back of the creatures head. neat idea. i think the problem i have with the piece is that the palette needs to be more varied. although red and green are compliments. the saturation makes this piece seem a little flat.

lkjhgfdsa: super interesting head. you really went outside the box when it came to tradition head structures. not much not to like in this piece. one of many close seconds in this round.

aeronik: awesome render. you have a really good sense of form in this piece. and i dont think it needs a background. i know you have your reasons for being so closely related to a real animal, but i just think it could have been a bit more "changed" into something that stands on its own as a species.

emerging: glad to see you back! your guy has tons of character, and the render is really loose in a good way. i think you will get backlash from people who know your work here because your rendering is usually tighter. i really dig this piece though. another close second. probably would have voted for this if not for janjager doing such a good job this week.

chong: your creatures well done and has a certain style, but in the end you didnt really explain anything about it, or how it eats metal (in description, or in the image). so we are left with a lizard type creature with an exposed skeleton in some parts. in the future you would do better to be more descriptive in your image, and make your design function more in line with the topic.

snarfevs: really well done, original creature. your style is your greatest strength, but i feel that it can also be a weakness. i feel sometimes that while your style is your own, and very original, its working more to be cool looking and original, than lending its shapes and functionality to the topic. maybe I'm wrong, just an observation.

Xbert: total skecksi (sp) head from dark crystal. really dig the palette of this one. and the texture is badass. i just want to see more of the creature. I'm at fault this round of the same thing i think. eek.

porcupine: there is something depressing at first look at this guy. you feel bad for him like hes an orphan or something, then you look at its eyes and its starts to get unnerving. almost scary, like it could show a darkside and attack you or something. really well done!

janjager: wowza! what a great entry. so many good things to say. while being extremely well pulled off in its rendering. its also a really weird idea. you need a special kind of brain to come up with a snail with one eye that has a tall cone shaped shell that's made of shiny metal, that's eating a car and turning that car into little metal balls(or are they eggs? all that and your description is "you don't want it on your car". its ok, i need no description, i want this creature be as mysterious as it is strange looking. easily got my vote.

anthis: cool idea. nice idea for it to become metal itself. well done, but i think it could have used a bit more time working on it to really make that mouth, and the glow from inside pop.

rich3: i like that your trying interesting dynamic viewpoints. but this time i lose the creature a bit. it took me a second to see what was what on the creature. it just needs a bit more defining of edges, and a sense of atmosphere with a an angle like this. maybe lightening up the back part of the creature a little bit. you are improving i think though.

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to (lark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great round everyone!

jrbarker - I really like the mouth, head and pipes on your creature, it makes sense and looks believable. A little more contrast in shadows and highlights would have made it even better.

lkjhgfdsa - Love the name! Also its a beautiful image and creature design. Only thing I dislike is the eyecolor.

Aeronik - Amazing work! I love the idea that they would outlast us humans. It would have been fun to see it evolve a little further from its current shape tho.

Emerging - Love him! Poor thing....

(lark - Nicely designed creature with a good story! Perhaps a little more contrast in the image would have made it even better.

Chong - I really like the skeleton parts, the hands seem little out of place, not sure why.

Snarfevs - Your description really made me laugh, thats very clever! ^^ The image is great too, I like your style, its so clean and crisp!

xbert - Its beautiful!

JanJager - Amazing work! You're right, I dont want it on my car (which actually looks abit like that :p) It's nothing wrong with the color it is now, but it would have been interesting to see it stand out little more from the rust on the car.

Anthis - Really cool, makes me think of Terminator. Love how you painted the chrome. While the different color in the mouth looks great the mouth looks "flat", almost like it was a glass window and not open.

Rich3 - I like the shape and color of your creature, and the perspective of the picture is nice. Would have been great with some more texture.

Snarfevs - I googled that (we don't have it in Sweden) and your right, that really made me laugh.

xbert - Sorry no, it's just me feeling like a fat, non huggable, nearsighted rat sometimes, havent heard the band (tried listen on youtube but found only bad quality live songs, what are their best songs in your opinion? ^^)

Almost forgot I have to vote for someone too. Very hard to pick a favourite but in the end I went for xbert, less is more eh?

32. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to porcupine For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1