Need Help on A Design

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Need Help on A Design

Alright, so my pride-and-joy creation has gone through dozens of revamps and re-designs, and I have finally settled down on a few "final" designs, but trouble has struck.

Alright, so I've been re-designing one of the designs (procrastination slows the process), and I am adding things I've never tried to draw before, but that's for later, for now:

Here's the original.

Now what I'm doing, is adding a Hydralisk-styled mandible that encases the jaw, some other additions, and the rest (well some of) the body.

But I've run into two things I need to work on.

The first being the body itself. Now Sylizar here is built like a giant intergalactic, planet eating centipede, and to live up to the nickname "Devourer of Galaxies", he has to look pretty damn menacing. I've gotten the head to reflect this, and I've got the body too as well, problem is, his body is laced with huge spikes. Me, being lazy, kind of rushes over these spikes, and it becomes a bit of a mess.

Here's what I'm "going" for:

Here's a sample result (albeit a rather confusing sample):

Basically, what I'm asking is: Other than taking more time on it (I plan too on the next versions), what would be the best kind of spikes too use, going by my concept drawing? And how nest to do them? If someone could draw some examples, it'd be appreciated.

Dilemma #2 is more simple. Basically, on a random head design I was doing, I added a "crown".

Here:

Now my problem here, is that it looks kind of...weird. Essentially, my question is: Should I go with the crown or not? And, if I do, what would be a better way to streamline/make it more badass?

And my final question. Does he invoke a sort of "fear" in you? As in, would this creature be "terrifying" too you?

Because my goal, is not only to make him look incredibly badass, but also scary. Any suggestions?

PS: Don't worry about the lat one too much. Even if he doesn't look "explicitly" scary, I've already made the stuff he does the stuff of nightmares.

Also, if you need to see more of his body before you can do examples, just lemme know.

Last edited by Sylizar; August 10th, 2010 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Delete
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 870 Posts
    This might be more appropriate in the WIP forum. Perhaps one of the mods can move it?

That said, no. It doesn't evoke fear in me. Partly because it's just sort of sitting there. He sort of looks like he's grinning, which probably isn't the effect you're going for. As for the crown, it gives me the impression of a large cartoon nose, like some of the stuff from Yellow Submarine. Which if handled right could be creepily surreal, but it would take a bit of work.

Just curious, why do you crop it off the page like that?

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    1) I wasn't sure where to put this. If a mod needs to move it, they're (obviously) welcome too.

2) Yeah, the fear thing will probably go more through his actions, but it varies between people as well.

As for the grinning, I did kind of go for that, but more for subtley. I just find monsters that are intelligent very creepy. For reference, this picture would probably be moments before he destroys or kills. Of course, this kind of averts the emotionless-"ness" I want, but still, I find it creepy.

3) Yeah, that's more or less why I need to work on the crown. I don't want his horn to look like a nose or the crown too look cheesy.

The main idea for the crown was to assist his imposing looks and further drive home how evolved he is by this point.

4) Cropped? You mean the horn out of the picture? Or the size of the images themselves?

Speaking of which, anyone know how to resize these? They weren't this big when I first posted them, but it seems I made a mistake.

Thanks
    Can a mod delete this? I'm going to move it to WIP.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.