Sketchbook: Sketchbook Full Of Grub

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketchbook Full Of Grub

I have now graduated from the Art Institute of Northern Virginia majoring in Media Arts & Animation. I focused in 3D environment and prop modeling.

This thread now starts from a few months before school and three years after that. Pretty trippy!

Please feel free to comment as much as you want - y'know, with constructive feedback.

My DA: http://mountsyanide.deviantart.com/

For thumbnail:

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MountSyanide; February 5th, 2014 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Deleted some stuff.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More stuff from my drawing class. Had a nude model (a first for me, but after drawing so many bodies, it wasn't as embarrassing as one would think) in class and did...idk...3-5 minute drawings?

Last edited by MountSyanide; March 4th, 2011 at 02:29 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A scribble drawing of my neighbor's house, to where my teacher remarked that my trees were 'too symbolic'.

Last edited by MountSyanide; August 22nd, 2010 at 09:03 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some stuff from observation and imagination. Trying to get the pictures smaller so it doesn't break my internet.

Name:  FaceSketch.jpeg
Views: 1017
Size:  80.8 KB

Used references for these. Comic Artist's Photo Reference is great. By the by, the character is Torak, from The Belgariad.

Name:  Faces1.jpeg
Views: 1241
Size:  56.0 KB

I'm really not liking my long faces, so I'm probably going to be uploading some back-to-basic head proportions next. xD Same as above, characters from The Belgariad.

Last edited by MountSyanide; February 14th, 2012 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Cleaning

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice Sketchbook! I can see that ur about the same age as me. I see your body structures improve going down the page. I believe you have yet more to improve on ur light and dark shadings. I think there needs to be a smoother transition between the dark and lights. The shapes need to be brought out more by showing a better contrast. Last couple of sketches show a lot more improvement. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply! I totally agree. I think a lot of my shading gets lost or too quick and messy - it never feels like I'm getting transition down. Probably need more patience in my work.

Name:  ArmStudy.jpeg
Views: 961
Size:  61.9 KB

Saw an amazing anatomy tutorial on YouTube and felt very inspired. It was about using basic shapes to create form before getting into the grit of anatomy. I feel like a lot of my problem with drawing is the inability to think of the entire shape, rather than just the part I think I see. But..that's probably a lot of people's problems. xD

Attachment 1039773
    Name:  GestureDrawing2.JPG
Views: 944
Size:  26.8 KB
    Some gesture drawings to help get used to a tablet again. Used in Corel Painter 11.

Attachment 1039783

Last edited by MountSyanide; February 14th, 2012 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Cleaning

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  PlaneSketches.jpeg
Views: 876
Size:  57.1 KB

Looking here and here. Tried it out. It helped, but I still don't it down. Makes me realize how little I really know about the human body...

...so more anatomy sketches to try to fix that!
    Name:  Anatomy1.jpeg
Views: 905
Size:  52.9 KB
    Name:  Anatomy2 1.jpeg
Views: 904
Size:  95.0 KB

Last edited by MountSyanide; February 14th, 2012 at 02:46 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just got an art table and had to reorganize my entire room to accommodate, so I don't have much to show. ):

Some anatomy sketches...actually, half of them are from memory, half are from observation. I'm guessing most people can figure out which is which.
    Also! Major trouble with hands. I was able to make a pretty good hand a few pages ago...but I can't seem to do it again. And guns! I try to use boxes, but they still come out, well, flat. Any suggestions?
    Name:  Anatomy4.jpeg
Views: 877
Size:  69.9 KB

A page from the Belgariad comic...already noted that the bottom panels were too awkward. Still not finished, either! All of the pages are sketches to get the feel before I finish, and I'll probably finish them on the computer.
    Name:  BelgariadComic1.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  146.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Picked up Burne Hogarth's Dynamic Anatomy. Started practicing.

Name:  Anatomy5.jpeg
Views: 852
Size:  44.2 KB

Tried out some colored pencils...but I'm not really sure where to go with them. Harder? Softer? More colors? Stick to blue or branch out?

Name:  ColoredPencil1.JPG
Views: 860
Size:  148.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't been drawing much that I feel like I should show. Just been studying Dynamic Anatomy, but I'm getting into drawing from my head then looking at reference to correct.

All three of these pages are completely (or majority) studied from Burne Hogarth's Dynamic Anatomy.

Name:  Anatomy6 1.jpeg
Views: 932
Size:  60.8 KB
    Name:  Anatomy7.jpeg
Views: 998
Size:  68.8 KB
    Name:  Anatomy8.jpeg
Views: 928
Size:  99.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just some more anatomy practice.

Tried out the non-photo blue. I actually know how to get rid of it but I didn't do anything on top of it, so I left it.
    Name:  Anatomy9.jpeg
Views: 811
Size:  81.1 KB

Tried a piece on my own, went back to correct a few things. Of course I got a lot of things wrong, but if I corrected everything I'd have to erase everything I had. So I learned and moved on.

Name:  Anatomy10.jpeg
Views: 798
Size:  76.4 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 795 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there! From the looks of things, you're definitely headed in the right direction. The improvement in your proportions and anatomy is evident, and it's only going to get better from here. You're definitely on the right track with breaking the body down into recognizable forms, and I'm happy to hear that you're working from memory and using the reference to double-check your work. That's a great way to learn.

You might want to look into getting some other books to help you as well as there are many different ways to break down the figure and different teachers have different approaches. I have several of Hogarth's books myself, and I found them difficult to learn from (though I know other artists who found it very easy; different approaches work for different people). For me, Brigdman's Constructive Anatomy has been very helpful, and I eagerly recommend Figure Drawing Design and Invention, which has really helped my anatomical construction.

In terms of color, I would suggest that you not worry too much about that right now. Focus on your construction first, value second, and color third. It's so much easier to deal with color when you have a solid understanding of the 3-dimensional form and how it's affected by various light sources. Do studies of objects from life (simple objects like boxes or cups and plates to start with, and more complex objects like fruit and fabric later on) and focus on simplifying the objects into simple shapes with flat areas of light and shadow.

Oh and it helps to keep your pencil sharp and use thicker paper to improve your linework. It's a bit silly, but clean, confident lines can do wonders to improve how your drawings look. Draw lightly and loosely at first as you sketch out the general forms, then tighten your lines as you commit to the shapes you think are most accurate.

Keep up the good work!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dierat: Thanks for the helpful comments! I checked out the books you suggested on amazon/downloaded the one that was available in PDF format. I've been flipping through it but haven't had a chance to do any studies with it.

I used your 'clean' suggestion after I read your comments - really odd how much more it looks like I finished it. I'm so used to getting scared and just leaving it as a scribble. xD Definitely helped!

Work: Watched more youtube videos of artists in action, and this one guy drew women's bodies like it was no big. Tried his method, and while the body, yeah, is flawed, I liked the flow of the outcome. I had major trouble attaching the head, however. ):
    Name:  Blah.jpeg
Views: 980
Size:  90.2 KB

The two cornered off are from Y: The Last Man. Trying to see how clean and simple their lines were, and decided to try out skin tones while I was at it.

I liked the way the portrait came out. I tried my best to pay attention to the construction of the face (and I feel like it helped keep the features from feeling all over the places), and the shapes and planes, too.
    Name:  Blah2.jpeg
Views: 787
Size:  110.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Redemption is over here : http://www.icrit.org/resources.html in the anatomy section.
    Keep up the sketches they are looking good

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ bubblesaw: Now sure what you meant by redemption, but thanks for the link and encouragement! Bookmarked it. :)

Just some more sketches, nothing special.

Name:  Anatomy 9.jpeg
Views: 769
Size:  78.8 KB
    Name:  Anatomy 10.jpeg
Views: 756
Size:  60.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just some hand studies. Trying to get back into the muse.

Name:  Hands1 1.jpeg
Views: 749
Size:  46.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dont worry, i dont understand either. Otherwise good job, keep going

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some work done for school. Yeah, I started the Art Institute. Try to post more stuff here because I still don't feel critiqued enough. xD

Stylized shoe made in Illustrator. My real shoe is far more complicated, so I broke it down to essentials.

Flash made in well, Flash. A reaction of our original character. He see someone he doesn't like.

Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some life studies. I haven't taken the actual course but AI is cool enough to have a life studies session every Tuesday. It just opened up, so I'm hoping in the future they'll get more varied models. Middle-aged men just get boring after a while.

Unfortunately it's too difficult for my little knowledge of scanning/cleaning up to do all that, so for now here's the link to the blog article:

http://undeadsketchbook.blogspot.com...blog-post.html

Guess I need to just use the awesome scanner + Photoshop at my school.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a quick drawing down in Corel (using a tablet still feels unnatural, even after all that Flash D; ) to see my progress. All I could hear was my teacher telling me to get reference and everything is killing him. Good thing? Top one was done today, bottom one was done sometime around Feb.
    of this year.

Last edited by MountSyanide; December 6th, 2010 at 11:59 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hEy

Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook! Liking the posts and the sketches in that link for life drawing. I hope you do great in the Art Institute, i had a horrible time with that company. I did there online program for a year so going on campus is probably a better experience. WOuld like to see some more posts from you

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph Church For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies dude. Take a look at these free books from Andrew Loomis if you have not already. These are fantastic resources and I highly recommend them. Heres is the link:

http://www.placidchaos.com/AM/index..../andrew_loomis

27. The Following User Says Thank You to TacoMeat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work, great to see such dedication. As for crtiques, I would say try to work on your line quality more. A good exercise for this is to do a lot of blind contour studies (drawing with the pencil pressing fairly hard, and not looking at the paper).

Keep it going!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to cgaddict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ---very nice process.......... keep going mate........

Here is my: S-K-E-T-C-H-B-O-O-K

/.....if there is someone from AUSTRALIA especially from SYDNEY on this site, then leave a msg for me, and I really want to meet with you & to making a friends-of course if you'd agree it...............please

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Joe777: Aw, that's too bad. I don't know about their online program, but at least their campus-based program is really good so far, even for a brand new branch. Hope you're having a better time someplace else. ):

TacoMeat: Wow. I've actually seen those books in the Suggested Books article on here, but they're all so old, I couldn't find them for sale. This is a great site! Thanks. I'll be looking at that in the future.

CGAddict: Ah, yeah. I could say I blame the tablet usage (I had the hardest time getting ANY lines I wanted down before finally figuring it out), but you're absolutely right. On any of my work, line weight is always on the back of my mind. Gotta work on that.

Mag-Neo
    : Thanks for the encouragement!

Got some 3D stuff. Quarter ended, but I've been uh. Wasting time playing WoW. Bad artist. ): Apparently animating a flour sack is the most important basic. I actually took a year of 3Dsmax in...2007, so my stuff was a little bit better than other people's. AKA, I actually finished it.

EDIT:

Last edited by MountSyanide; December 16th, 2010 at 01:15 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some new stuff to post. Just a little taste of what's going on. A lot of my art is in storyboard format, which is hard to get pictures of. Well, not hard, it just takes forever. Art Institute is pretty great, and I feel like I've improved a lot, anyway.

Some box studies (which were super helpful), my color theory's project draft (which is better than the finished product ): ), and life drawing study.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Found out how to make a flash storyboard. IT didn't take as much time as I thought it would, mostly because I didn't bother fixing the pictures. ;D Still need to find out if there's a way to embed videos, or how to auto-loop a youtube video on here. D;

Fake advertisement storyboard for my class.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just something to post while all my other stuff has yet to be scanned/photographed. I just wanted to get the colors down to see what it looked like, but I'd appreciate any help when it comes to Corel Painter technical usage.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Optical Mixing from a color theory assignment. Had reference for frogs and most of the composition. Used pointillism since I figured the markers would bleed well into the effect. Pretty happy with it. Sketchbook stuff I scanned in and colored just for examples.

So, so, so busy with school. Storyboarding class...ugh. New teacher who doesn't understand student commitments. Y'know, that teacher who says 'this is how much work you'll do when you're a professional', but doesn't realize part of your time is dedicated to classes/family/jobs and other homework. Finally had some free time. ):

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.