Sketchbook: Reutte's little pencil scratchings (Nudity)7/6 Update - Page 2
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Reutte's little pencil scratchings (Nudity)7/6 Update

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty much everything I could say has been said above haha. But your definitely doing the right types of drawings to improve. Keep em comin'

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work with the studies
    I can see that you're going further into drawing the form of objects, that will get you far.

I second that a cast shadow is important to make you lamp look like it's in a 3d space instead of on a 2d on paper.
    It's important to understand how shadows differ
    Cast Shadows and Form Shadows
    Try identifying the soft edged form of shadows and use your knead eraser to get a smooth gradient. I'd get your banana drawing and soften those edges on the centers of the 2 front bananas until I can't see that crisp "U" shape for example.

A critical step in my discovery of art is learning to see and analyze what I'm seeing.
    My method for life drawing is drawing the contours I see and make seemly meaningless abstract shapes, but think of it as a blueprint for your eyes only. Then shade them them in different tones (shoot for 5-6 and identify the darkest dark, and hi-light). And lastly soften the edges that need it. As you get used to it, you can scrap this and make your own method.
    Lines don't exist in real life, but the hardest of hard edges can look like them sometimes. But lines do make the drawing read easier and add an element of stylization.

Direct lighting on your reference would make it easier to a identify the form change. Try to ensure there's a wide range of different tones, edges, and unique shapes before drawing. Avoid drawing symbols for realistic studies, like the symbol of an eye, and nail the abstract relationship of tonal shapes and edges (lines-> your blueprint).
    See this Crysis head here
    The first has too much soft edges and little defined shadow shapes. Direct lighting helps avoid this. I grab a lamp a shine it right next to my face for portraits XD.

Keep up the good work, this is just my subjective take and advice and can be taken with a grain of salt.

My Sketchbook - Have a look and say hi

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AnthonyV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! Thanks for all the help and kind words.

@Asatira - yeah, I was focusing on form so I didn't think much of shadows. I will from now on.
    @ZombieGrub - yeah, I've been told that I focus too much on outline rather than the actual mass and form of stuff. I need to do some serious gesture work then go from there.
    @ hu-ha - thanks! I'm pretty proud of my bananas actually. ^_^
    @TomDeVis - will do!
    @KT - Thanks! I've always wondered why some of my perspective has been skewed. I'll try moving my VP's farther away.
    @hala - Thanks, that exam is going to be a serious drag for me for awhile. Yeah, I work very tight and it's a bad thing right now. For some reason loose translates to bad for me which I know is stupid but...
    @JFierce - Thanks!
    @AnthonyV - Thanks for the link! I tend to get down a solid form then go details in. But this can make my work very stiff.
    I took your advice and drew some new bananas and tried to created edges rather than lines and it was sort of hit and miss which just means I need to practise more. XD

Attached Images Attached Images      
    "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, Chinese philosopher (604 BC - 531 BC)

My SketchBook.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 918 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    nice sketchbook you have going here keep it up.
    One think I'd say is I would work on your construction more before you dive into rendering.
    have a good one never give up.
    -Jamie

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamie Romoser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just seconding OmertA. Construction is very helpful in simplifying the forms and understanding their basic shapes. I like those profile drawings. I'd watch out on the eyes though, some of them seem flat instead of the more rounded form of the eye.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to KT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I understand. And it's good to be tight in how you do things, it's more so being loose in how you construct them. Ah banana studies.
    A good exercise I did in school was to get a fresh banana and draw it every day as it progressively ripened. Good value practice and interesting results, try it if you can!!

"Be either full-assed or no-assed. There is no half assed."

SSG SKETCHPOT/FLYING RADISHES/ OR JUST PLAIN AWESOME.
    KT | Reutte | Darkmoon |Asatira | AnthonyV

[CENTER]
    My Website
    ~ My Sketchbook ~ My Blog ~ My Twitter ~ My Deviantart ~

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hala For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The bananas look sssooooo much better, good job
    When I first starting drawing, I drew very tight. What helped me get out of that habit is holding my pencil differently, drawing on a bigger pad and/ or using my entire sketchbook page for one drawing. I try to draw with my elbows always pivoting and fingers not moving.
    Myron Barnstones explains how to hold the pencil http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YLOiIbQYFw
    You hand will get tired if you don't constantly have your ring/ or pinky finger on the pad. And drawing with your pad at an angle helps too.
    Try this until you get the hang of being loose in any position and grip.
    Reilly (?) mentions on the top of the page too (pictures 4-6) http://www.dhfa.net/Artiststatement2.html

13. The Following User Says Thank You to AnthonyV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @OmertA - Thank you!
    @KT - I tried to do more constructionist stuff this week.
    @ hala - That's a good idea, I should try that with my next bananas.
    @ AnthonyV - thanks for the links. I'm working on an alternative grip now and it sorta works but it's a work in progress.

I tried to work with basic shapes and I discovered that while I have no trouble drawing cubes, trying to draw cubes from life with the correct perspective is very difficult for me. The last ones are a bit better though. XD

My SketchBook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff. Its nice to see you working out the chair in simple forms like the box, it helps to think that way for most everything you see because we like to get caught up in details instead of seeing the whole form. I like that your drawing your pet cat. I also have a cat but she moves whenever I try to draw her. If I may ask, what kind of cat do you have?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to KT For This Useful Post:

Asatira is offline an amateur trying to figure things out Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, drawing objects in perspective in real life can be a pain, but worth it in the long run. It does look like your chairs are better the second time around, after the perspective practice. One quick thing about the perspective practice that was told to me once: go ahead and use a straight edge when you draw your boxes; it helps to make the boxes look neater, which is part of the exercise, too.

"It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies, I eagerly await more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Everyone. Wow, I'm sorry for dropping off the face of the world for the last two weeks. It was completely unintentional. It's been crazy over here between a friend getting married and other less fortunate issues. I'll catch up on everyone's sketchbooks asap!

@KT - I actually don't know what kind of cats they are. They belong to my landlady so I don't always have access to them and they do run around so much that it's very hard to try to draw them. I have to work from pictures right now. They're brother and sister and are super cute!

My SketchBook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Reutte, nice update! Awww, Those cats are really cute! Those spiral column studies look great and gestures are good too. I think the problem with that room is that it's all one point and some of your lines and structures don't seem to be going to the vanishing point, I think. Check out seedling's perspective 101 series, if you need perspective help it's a good intro.Just keep working on basic geometric shapes, the bottom of the pop can looks like it curve more.

Asatira is offline an amateur trying to figure things out Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice variety. Love the spiral columns; sucker for technical kinda drawings. Shading is very good, something I envy.

I do agree with KT that things are off perspective-wise in the last piece. You have an overhead view, but it still comes off flat. I second checking out Seedling's perspective series, and checking out other resources about perspective. Something else that may help is how you handle the objects on the counter. To me, they seem to be in a 2.5D, not quite looking straight down, not quite in perspective. And then there are tangents, where edges meet. This flattens things. Prime example is the paper towel roll holder's top is right at the top edge of the counter.

Work on basic shapes, and the forms will develop. Nice work on the cat studies. You're getting the construction down, and a couple of pieces are really nice captures of a cat's body.

"It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I passed my certification exam! I finally have time to draw again and write again and have that miraculous thing called free time again. I pretty much had to stop everything to focus on studying but now that's all behind me. I'm really sorry for dropping off the face of the earth and CA. Right now, I'm going to visit my mother for 2 weeks and I won't have internet access but after that I'll catch up on people's sketchbooks and from now on I'll actually be able to keep on top of them. It will be brilliant!

My SketchBook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats! I look forward to having you back.

fenixx is offline !!! Paranoid Android !!! Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. Great to see you have still been sketching. Looking forward to having you back on CA fulltime !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 3