hills infinity

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: hills infinity

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hills infinity

hey guys.
    need some help concerning color and value.
    this is a study for an oil painting i will do for a client.

subject is a couple having a picnic on a hill looking at sunset over hills.

hills infinity

thanks guys.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vibrant colours, rock'em smurf! Hectic reactions prove a showdown for likeness.

The piece is interesting. However, based on my knowledge and perception, there are a few slightly minor mishaps on this piece. The first is, in attendance to your aid request, the colour values. The second would be a matter of light vs. shadow. Lastly, a possible (depending on whether it was meant to be there, for illustrative-apetite reasons) misuse of perspective. Now onto them, more specifically:

1# You have a fair sense and knowledge of how environment are affected in a sunset-scenario. Being this a fantasy-alike oil painting, I would say the colouring is spot-on. However, I can't help to be drawn upon wondering where is it that the sun is setting? Is it right behind the lovely couple's heads/silhouettes? Is it further down the left corner of the painting? The colours you've used, and the gradients thus inflicted, tell me the sun is setting behind the couple's heads, but the shadows and clouds tell me otherwise. Depending on that permisse, the colours might or might not be accurately portraying the scenario to its fullest.

2# First thing that popped in my head was: Why is that tree laying down a firm shadow running to the right-bottom corner of the canvas, whenas the sun is setting vertically paralleled to the tree itself? It's as if you had two light sources, one being present and the other subjacent/omitted. The clouds's shadows suggest the sun has not gone under the hills just yet, but still, we can not see the sun, no matter how much we struggle. These trivial errant details should be paid attention to, so that the picture becomes less in struggle with itself

Example: Note how there's no hard shadows on a diagonal-basis.
    hills infinity

3# How far out are the couple from the hill? How far out are the houses laying down the hill from the church (?) on its top? How far out....have you asked these yourself? When I look at the picture, I get the feeling you're using a one-point perspective. However, the houses seem to be eluding me into thinking there are actually two points of perspective in this painting. Not entirely sure you meant it to be that way, or whether its still because you haven't "perfected" the painting yet; or whether it was a choice made by yourself...or..it goes on. Bottom point is, there's an oddity to it --one which can be cleared away by simply correcting little lines and whatnot.

Keep us posted with any improvements.
    Best regards,
    Klaasillu

Last edited by Klaasillu; August 7th, 2010 at 08:39 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh my goodness. i thank you for taking your time. i'll definately look into all this.

btw the way you interpreted the tree's "shadow" just made me see a whole different picture. its actually supposed to be the hill they are sitting on. the whole hill they are on is supposed to be dark and rim-lit somehow. you tripped me out.

thanks so much
    i'll try and work out the houses too. i have them in my mind but just keep having trouble pinning them down

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by crayonblood View Post
    btw the way you interpreted the tree's "shadow" just made me see a whole different picture. its actually supposed to be the hill they are sitting on. the whole hill they are on is supposed to be dark and rim-lit somehow. you tripped me out.
    Err;..I......blame....the.....time. And the fact that I'm tired.

Faulty reason aside, why would a hill being directly hit with sunlight be dark? Unless you come up with a sci-fi transparent spaceship shadowing the hill from the sun rays, I can't think of any reason you'd want that hill to be darkened down. Think about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yea i dont really know. i guess i did it for effect. but if it's not working, i'll try and solve it differently

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh no, by all means, keep it as is --unless you didn't mean it to be that way! There's nothing wrong with shifting from a representative approach to an illusive one. I just wanted to figure out whether you meant to represent it, that's all.

And I still do like that piece of yours a fair ton. Looking forward to see any improvements!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ccccccooooooooooollllllllll
    i'll keep it in mind though. i like to hear what other peeps be thinkin.
    i think i'll start drawing it on canvas and all that. been wanting to start actually painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks pretty much perfect to me! If I were the client, I'd be extremely pleased with this sketch.

That said, I think the composition would work better if the foreground and middleground were scooted up a bit in the frame.

hills infinity

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wanted to say I really like this (even if it is just a study). The colors and that flowy style, very eye-pleasing.
    My only suggestion is regarding the guy in the image, he seems like he may be a bit off balance in that position. I think either having his left arm around the girl's shoulder or having him leaning back on both of his arms might make him look more relaxed and balanced.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.