. - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: .

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,150 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Dear Posters,

How dare you people prejudge someone else's legitimate expression. I suppose you want everything to look like hyper realistic Boris-Bougereau art, like from 1900. Just because you people are stuck in your provincial little corner of the artworld, juvenile teen-boy fantasies, that doesn't mean everybody must be stuck in the past of their youth. Art is a very wide discipline, and there's enough room for all type of expressions, even your immature works.

Sincerely,
    Some clueless art bitch you don't want to talk to ever

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    Dear Posters,

How dare you people prejudge someone else's legitimate expression. I suppose you want everything to look like hyper realistic Boris-Bougereau art, like from 1900. Just because you people are stuck in your provincial little corner of the artworld, juvenile teen-boy fantasies, that doesn't mean everybody must be stuck in the past of their youth. Art is a very wide discipline, and there's enough room for all type of expressions, even your immature works.

Sincerely,
    I knew it was a girl....

The Sketchbook of Naj and Stu!:
    SKETCHBOOK

And of course go check out the SB of DefiledVisions

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart DeViva For This Useful Post:

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by UmpaArt View Post
    I knew it was a girl....
    HEY.....guys can be bitches too you know.

I've met a few.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How dare we? well, first of all most of us are behind keyboard and a screen. So...

ANYWAY, to be on topic. Art is what you said it (yeah i know, its probably trolling but i want to have fun with this one) is a really wide field, a pure grey area. But what do you expect? To people to sit i awe all the time and praise your work? Pfft...

One thing is for sure, that girl did something really gutsy. Props to that.

I still find the blowjob video funny. But then again, who cares really?

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    Dear Posters,

Sincerely,
    I'm sure she wants to give that "Artist" a big hug after the performance. Euww!

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha I didn't say she was a bitch. It's just usually a girl that gets all bent out of shape about something as trivial as this.

She got all bent out of shape because people didn't like what they did. It's art, something we are allowed to like or dislike. If your gonna rant, at least make it relevant to the posters. Not just calling us all close minded fools who can't appreciate how revolutionary this is.

Theres no craft in what the girl in the video did. There is a reason craft is necessary.

For example, I have tons of friends that say things to me like "O man, if I could draw like you I could create all these crazy things in my head." In other words, the craft is catalyst for the concepts and expression. The craft takes things from your mind and conveys them in a manner that others can relate.

The better you are at your craft, the better your able to express whats in your mind and make others understand those concepts.

That video was no different from a 3 year old acting ridiculous. Maybe there was a good concept behind it, but it wasn't expressed well at all.

You might say "oh, well your mind just isnt advanced enough to understand and appreciate it."

Well the fact of the matter is, art, when done well can reach a large audience, not just some cappuccino drinking cafe beatnik hipsters who have a grand understanding of art and it's meaning.

So, the idea might of been good but really, if it's soliciting such a negative response from all of the ARTISTS here, shouldn't that tell you something? Clearly the message has not been conveyed properly. And it's an artists job to convey these concepts thoughts and expressions as best as possible.

SKETCHBOOK

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stuart DeViva For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My brain tries so hard to accept and understand this, and comes to 3 different conclusions:

1- Spoiled and untalented kids that want to be called "artists" without actually doing anything, not even knowing how to open a can.

2- People that are into public sex, and disguise it as "art" to avoid being called perverts.

3- Both.

I mean, come on... I heard about this "conceptual artist" that made a giant dark tube and he was inside, and said he would rape whoever came into the tube, or another that made an instalation that included him inside a cabinet masturbating, and people could hear him, creepy as hell.

The Light and Dark Arts of Cristian Saksida
    Portfolio:http://www.chrissaksida.com
    Blog:http://cristiansaksidaarts.blogspot.com
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/crissaksida

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris Saksida For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Could you imagine if someone went inside that tube with a bat and broke both of his legs? lol

SKETCHBOOK

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart DeViva For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This is why I'm so glad Firefox has a Flash Block extension. It's right up there with Adblock Plus.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Could you imagine if someone went inside that tube with a bat and broke both of his legs? lol
    I would send a big black dude into the tube, to see how well he "performs" his "art" LOL

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Bad apples ruin everything when they get more publicity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I say there is to much we don't know to be this critical. For all we know they were students trying to cut out as much as they could and try to get emotionally involved in their projects.

I see some in it, I'm guessing maybe it has something to say about fixating on things such as sex and food, while neglecting the higher paths of thought, etc.

But it didn't really look like they took themselves all that seriously eh? Some seemed just as bewildered as ourselves.

That said, Chicago has had a history of some ...alternative... ways to consider things for a while now eh?

They are just kids experimenting, no one in the video suggested more than that.

-Cheers

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This reminds me of that guy who had an exhibition in an art gallery where he showed a lot of videos where he fucked animals. Quite questionable if you ask me.

Are we allowed to be critical against this kinda thingssss?

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I perfer the "artist" who went into a store and shoved a raw chicken into a snatch and ran out of the store without paying for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Saksida View Post
    I mean, come on... I heard about this "conceptual artist" that made a giant dark tube and he was inside, and said he would rape whoever came into the tube,
    That was a hoax/joke. It was satire of this type of performance art.

http://www.care2.com/causes/womens-r...urns-art-hoax/

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know whether I should be horny, disgusting, hungry, or feel she need to take school again to learn to talk and open a can

The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckWeisel View Post
    That was a hoax/joke. It was satire of this type of performance art.

http://www.care2.com/causes/womens-r...urns-art-hoax/
    What I don't understand is, where is the difference between satire of performance art, and performance art? for example Damien Hirst, he openly says that what he does is showing everyone how, if an urinal can be art, a dead cow with its guts outside can be art too... what he does is satirical and critical, but the people still gives him lots of money.

I always thought that Duchamp was misunderstood, because people took the urinal thing seriously, and it was not his intention.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I woulda have bought a can with one of those finger loops, way quicker entrance. Or was that part of the art? Actually watching a person open a can of food for 3 minutes w/o the smearing and pissing would have seemed a lot more original to me.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sturgeon's Law, folks.
    To put it in perhaps more familiar terms, this sort of thing is the Performance Art equivalent of the lens flared anime traces on deviantart, that's all. And the applauding audience are the "ZOMG AWESOME! FAVED!!!!!!" comments.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

27. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Sturgeon's Law, folks.
    To put it in perhaps more familiar terms, this sort of thing is the Performance Art equivalent of the lens flared anime traces on deviantart, that's all. And the applauding audience are the "ZOMG AWESOME! FAVED!!!!!!" comments.
    I would love to see what a supposedly GREAT performance would be, none of the ones ive seen irl have been that great and strangely most of them have something to do with vaginas.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonobot View Post
    I perfer the "artist" who went into a store and shoved a raw chicken into a snatch and ran out of the store without paying for it.
    Her own, I hope.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    I would love to see what a supposedly GREAT performance would be
    Thats what I'm saying- they always feel lazy and half-assed. I mean reallly if you're gonna go for it- GO FOR IT. Here's what I think she should have done;

--deep red mood lighting.
    --step out wearing no clothes except for a George W. Bush mask. Keep the syllabic mumbling-BUT- just afterwards scream EVERYTHING IS SHIT!! as loud and shrill as possible-THEN-
    -strobelights-
    -drone industrial drum n bass chainsaw music
    -Two effeminate black dudes dressed as satyrs with giant dildos strapped to their heads faux crucify her as she smears McDonalds' cheeseburgers all over herself.
    --Finally--Shes lifted into the air and begins spraying the crowd with bodily fluids as the satyrs do the "running man".

Bam!

32. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Dan! For This Useful Post:

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dan! View Post
    thats what i'm saying- they always feel lazy and half-assed. I mean reallly if you're gonna go for it- go for it. Here's what i think she should have done;

--step out wearing no clothes except for a george w. Bush mask. Keep the syllabic mumbling-but- just afterwards scream everything is shit!! As loud and shrill as possible-then-
    -strobelights-
    -two effeminate black dudes dressed as satyrs with giant dildos strapped to their heads faux crucify her as she smears mcdonalds' cheeseburgers all over herself.
    --finally--shes lifted into the air and begins spraying the crowd with bodily fluids as the satyrs do the "running man".

Bam!
    thank you for that interesting event that now plays itself in my mind?!

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    the comments in this thread are hilarious, I dont get a sense of hatred like a few pointed out, it's just lounge humor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Sturgeon's Law, folks.
    This is a perfect analogy.

"It's my style!" = "You just don't get it" *sips PBR*

It's an incredible cop-out when any artist or proponent of said art claims that it is exempt from criticism simply on the grounds that a viewer does not share their experience. Sometimes it almost seems like a lot of artists actually do get this and extend the courtesy of not calling each others' bluffs. It's an attitude that elevates art to such a high altitude that it suffocates.

But yeah. My philosophy is pretty simple. If someone says it's art, it probably is. You're still allowed to not like or understand it.

Last edited by N D Hill; August 7th, 2010 at 08:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan! View Post
    Thats what I'm saying- they always feel lazy and half-assed. I mean reallly if you're gonna go for it- GO FOR IT. Here's what I think she should have done;

--step out wearing no clothes except for a George W. Bush mask. Keep the syllabic mumbling-BUT- just afterwards scream EVERYTHING IS SHIT!! as loud and shrill as possible-THEN-
    -strobelights-
    -Two effeminate black dudes dressed as satyrs with giant dildos strapped to their heads faux crucify her as she smears McDonalds' cheeseburgers all over herself.
    --Finally--Shes lifted into the air and begins spraying the crowd with bodily fluids as the satyrs do the "running man".

Bam!
    Thats just amazing!

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 543 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    mwhahaha, even the goth chick was freaked

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I woulda have bought a can with one of those finger loops, way quicker entrance. Or was that part of the art? Actually watching a person open a can of food for 3 minutes w/o the smearing and pissing would have seemed a lot more original to me.
    You could be onto something there... !

Seriously. I'm almost tempted to go to one of these schools. Think of all the totally pointless things you could do and then get praised for it.

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,579 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ...okay...this is starting to piss me off...

I went to eat and some asshole stole my can of beans...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

40. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    ...okay...this is starting to piss me off...

I went to eat and some asshole stole my can of beans...
    Ok dude. I have no time to explain but trust me. You do not want to stick around for what happens next.

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N D Hill For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1