Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks

Spectrum & Expose Illustration & Character Concepts & Sketches/Mech UPDATE 3/5/04

Hey everyone.

This is my first attempt at a full and finished illustration with more than just the character in photoshop.
    I finished this in January. It was pretty fun to do.
    It's doubtful that I get into Spectrum, but maybe I'll get into Expose.
    Hope you like it. Crits are definitly welcome.

Spectrum & Expose Illustration & Character Concepts & Sketches/Mech UPDATE 3/5/04

-Chris

Last edited by Chris J. Anderson!; March 5th, 2004 at 01:56 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    poor girl

Thanks
    Man, I feel cold just looking at this picture!

I also want to know what happened to get this girl in her predicament, and who the heck those creepy specteral figures are!

Just a few crits though-

I think you're giving too much attention to everything ,to me everything has the same amount of detail-the figure, trees,and the background.I like the dark hair around the girls face as a framing device for her expression but it seems like there are too many other competing elements. Maybe some atmospheric perspective?

Also the axe seems off- the handle looks to me like a belt with an axehead attached to it.The form of the axe head seems a little off to me too.

And I hate to say it because I DO think its a great piece of work, but dude-those feet are killin me! You definitely have to feminize them more.They also seem very different in size.

Not a crit but maybe you could put some steam coming from her mouth-I think that would give an even colder feeling to the image.

Great job though- I like the concept ,colors, and the female figure is superb-except from the knees down(sorry!)!

You are a level 8 ninja and even though you have a lot of weapons sometimes your ninja moves are your most powerful.

Thanks
    This is just the beginning folks.

Like I said before Chris, if this is one of your first fully realized illustrations..then I really can't wait for the 20th or 2nd for that matter. :cool:

-Joshua

Thanks
    hey nice piece, just a couple comments, i have to say a lot of what sivertone did.
    when i first looked at it, i had some trouble figuring out what i was supposed to look at. there is a lot of detail and care in the entire piece, not to say that is bad but it gives everything the same visual value. i think the trees in the front could be blurred or toned down to establish the foreground, and then use atmospheric perspective in the back to establish the background. this may in turn bring some focus to the middleground where the chick is. that may solve half of your problem. then try framing the details you want us to see. guide our eye.
    lastly, i agree with the axe comment. doesnt look rugged or round enough.
    i would also like to see more distortion of the feet since the water doesnt look too calm. other than that i think it is excellent. also take what i say with a grain of salt as i am in no way shape or form an expert.
    cheers and good luck
    meta

"Let it BURN"

Thanks
    Real nice work. Considering how cold it looks there, I would say she should be standing on ice, not in water. Especially with that shallow of water and being as it's slow moving, it would freeze fairly quickly.

Art gives me a life of extreme challenge, frustration, accomplishment and contentment. Nothing less will do!

Thanks
    I knew you could draw, Chris, but geez! That girl is painted ferociously well! Here's what I think:

• Some depth focus would help. Like everyone else is saying, a little background blurring would be nice, since it's mostly hard edges back there right now.
    • For more focus, I'd try lightening the more distant trees and increasing the value contrast on the axe–a little rim lighting from the warm sky that's all the way back there. Using that would really help that figure pop out more. If you do that with the axe, though, make sure the brushstrokes look different from the water on the bottom of the axe.
    • Her right leg looks a little funny. It's like it's not quite attached to the hip, or the knee is too twisted. (I like the feet, though–maybe they're subtly masculine, but I don't expect her to be a little princess, so I'm okay with 'em.)
    • I don't think you need some of the branches near her face. With a little more space the crow flying at her would be more important, which would simply the piece a little.

Josh has been showing me your stuff for years, but you really knocked this one out of the park. By the way, some really lame stuff gets into Spectrum, so I'd say you got a good shot at it.

So when's the next piece coming?

Andrew Murray
    Concept Artist, Tencent Boston
    www.theincredibleandy.com

Thanks
    wow... this is intense! love the action and colors. very cold indeed.

Thanks
    wow. first illustration. and it looks like you've been doing them for ages. I can't wait to see more. very moody illustration. I love it

Thanks
    Tres beau style!

:: giuseppe severino ::
    I'm looking for works as a freelance!

Thanks
    wow this blows me away, except some of the stuff that other people have said already. I remember your stuff from shane's site, did you use reference for this pic?

Thanks
    Beutiful! I really hope you make it in!

www.robertomarchesi.com

Thanks
    djeezes, first illustration?

This is crazy good. Sucked me right in. Very intense indeed. I agree with de-focusing the background. Not necessarily blurring, but loosening up that little horizon line, for example.

Can't wait for your second one!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1