Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

using ipad or computer tablet to show portfolio

Hi
    I was looking at the ipad recently and was wondering what is everyones view on someone showing there portfolio using an ipad or maybe some other computer tablet? I use to be a art retoucher for a video game company and i always had to rework the the orignal art for printing so i now how timely and expensive it is to do it yourself, and most of the time you can never get the colors just right.
    So i am thinking that the ipad or computer tablet are large enough and the benefits are more control of how your color will show, convenience and speed
    Thanks
    and if you have any computer tablets in mind if u use them can you give me some names of pretty good ones that r not pricey?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    I forget who it was, but someone at one of the workshops talked about how much he/she hates people showing them their portfolios on their iPhones. It may be different with iPads, but they said that if someone presents their portfolio to them on their iPhone they won't even consider hiring them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    The iPad is no replacement for a computer. It has no Wacom and no professional grade programs, though I've heard good things about Sketchbook Pro, but seeing how you are a photo retoucher, then you'll NEED Photoshop. As for presenting your work, the ipad sounds quite practical and would be a huge plus for an animator, but I agree with Jake about the iPhone. The screen is just too damn small.

Thanks
    I'd be afraid that the person would geek out about the iPad instead of checking the portfolio.

Thanks
    Qitsune is right, I know because I did it, I used the Ipad to show my work, and that's what happened, it's a little bit frustrating I must say .

But I think the Ipad it's a great tool to show your work because the way you browse through the pictures, sliding your finger across the screen, it's too easy and also intuitive, and it looks very good, I wouldn't say the same for a laptop or notebook, for me, it's impractical and most of the people I know that I tried to show something on my notebook found it awkward to use, no matter which program I use to browse, most editors just don't like it.

Iphone sucks as a serious portfolio, it's too small, you can use it to show your work to someone when you don't have your portfolio with you, but it is unprofessional.

Prints in a profesional looking book is the better way to show your work, it beats everything.
    The Light and Dark Arts of Cristian Saksida
    Portfolio:http://www.chrissaksida.com
    Blog:http://cristiansaksidaarts.blogspot.com
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/crissaksida

Thanks
    For my photo retouch work and digital art i do use my mac desktop, but i thought i might get an ipad just for the convenience of showing my work and plus on an off note, i think it would be a nice alternative to a laptop when i travel.
    Yeah i agree that would be strange if someone used an iphone, thats waaay too small, and i do like prints no matter how much of a headache they are to print, but an ipad might be something for me to think about and like you said it is very intuative wich really caught my eye. And if you do websites or stuff in flash as part of your portfolio package i think that would look great

I know there's probably something similiar to an ipad that pc would make that would be way cheaper, if i find something cheaper then i might definitely get it. but then again i will wait awhile and see what other people will post hear.

Thanks
    make a slideshow presentation of your work. Just like you would with a website, if you wanna avoid a geek out. The good thing about the ipad is it's easy on the eyes and can be better displayed to groups. That's specifically what it's built for. People will quit geeking out over it in a few months. And if somebody wants to talk about apps instead of your portfolio, kick them in the balls and run.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Always make sure that whatever tool you're presenting portfolio with isn't more distracting than what you're presenting.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    a little expensive just to show work. the work will get you the job not the device it is shown on.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 379 Posts
    It seems like they didn't want those 400 bucks to go to waste and immediately thought "Ooo! Portfolio tool". "It's shiny."

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rist View Post
    a little expensive just to show work. the work will get you the job not the device it is shown on.
    The OP specifically said it wouldn't be just to show work. Also, for a little old-timer perspective, back in the pre-digital days a nice hard-shell portfolio case full of 8x10 transparencies or C-prints would have run you several hundred bucks total, easily.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    The OP specifically said it wouldn't be just to show work. Also, for a little old-timer perspective, back in the pre-digital days a nice hard-shell portfolio case full of 8x10 transparencies or C-prints would have run you several hundred bucks total, easily.
    Yeah but it wouldn't be ruined if someone dropped it on the floor

That said, if you have the iPad, don't want to travel with a printed portfolio with you at all times, and have it organized properly so it's easy to browse, I can't see it being so bad.

P.S. I can't believe people seriously try to show their portfolios on an iPhone. A screen that small could make even the best work seem "meh".
    MY WEBSITE: PaintedSky.ca
    MY SKETCHBOOK: Ook's Book - Karyl Craves Your Approval

Thanks
    There are ipad clones out there that are coming out that are cheaper, like Linux-powered iPad-like devices are suppose to be coming out, so actually it might be worth it. I agree with Elwell, how much have we all really all spent on our portfolios in the long run? especially with professional prints like inkjets or just the constant prints of new artwork. And by the way i just looked up an android tablet from china that cost about 150.00, of course its not as powerfull as the ipad, but if it has the basics and you can go on the web then that might be cool

Thanks
    People will get used to the thought of artists using technology to showcase their portfolios. There is big talk going about the iPad and the consequent eventful success of Apple; but that's all it is, big talk.

How can one fight iPad being geeked-out, then? Make sure your work is worth more than the technology you're using to showcase it, and people will instantly forget that it's being shown to them on a iPad. Get their attention on your work, not on the work of others.

Thanks
    I was planning on getting an Ipad with that added bonus in mind. Super clean, easy to use, bright and polished and an unparalleled ability to hold numerous images with ease. Pinch and pull intuitive fingertip zoom functions... i cant see why an art director or anyone else for that matter would object to seeing a portfolio on an Ipad. I think the benefits of a digital portfolio device, especially of digital work is just a no brainer.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,549 Times in 2,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KarylGilbertson View Post
    Yeah but it wouldn't be ruined if someone dropped it on the floor
    When I was still an artist in games, one of the Art Directors at the company I was with had just had a baby and brought it to work, and was doing an interview with a potential artist. She had the artists portfolio open but had taken some of the images out for a closer inspection when the baby who was sort of strapped to her chest earth momma style threw up on everything.
    The artist was horrified and of course the AD was blotting up things muttering it was only breast milk, not to worry and the pictures could be touched up, but some of the pictures were obviously ruined. So even traditional portfolios aren't "safe" from accidents especially nowadays in the workplace with kids and pets running all over the place wreaking havoc.
    Last edited by Elwell; August 6th, 2010 at 08:18 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    When I was still an artist in games, one of the Art Directors at the company I was with had just had a baby and brought it to work, and was doing an interview with a potential artist. She had the artists portfolio open but had taken some of the images out for a closer inspection when the baby who was sort of strapped to her chest earth momma style threw up on everything.
    The artist was horrified and of course the AD was blotting up things muttering it was only breast milk, not to worry and the pictures could be touched up, but some of the pictures were obviously ruined.
    And that, my friends, is why you never, ever, show originals in your book.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    The artist was horrified and of course the AD was blotting up things muttering it was only breast milk, not to worry and the pictures could be touched up, but some of the pictures were obviously ruined. So even traditional portfolios aren't "safe" from accidents especially nowadays in the workplace with kids and pets running all over the place wreaking havoc.
    Ahahaha wicked... I really wish you had gotten that on tape
    MY WEBSITE: PaintedSky.ca
    MY SKETCHBOOK: Ook's Book - Karyl Craves Your Approval

Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 687 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Ah, those days.

Makes ya feel all frisky & spry being such an advanced age to remember don't it?

Those large brown folders with the tie ropes to keep the contents inside. I had a big black portfolio with a zipper.

Ugh!
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    The great thing about using something like the IPAD is that you have the monitor back light which makes images glow much more vividly that in printouts.

Plus for someone who tweaks their art a lot or who likes to re-organize their work for different clients, going all digital is perfect - much easier and cheaper to fiddle with your work when its all digital than to re-print work.

I agree on the ultimate price benefits as well - I have an older I9900 Canon large format printer with 8 cartridges that gets extremely expensive especially considering I always end up reprinting several times just to color match what I want.

Add to that the expensive 16X19 photo glossy paper and something like an IPAD quickly pays for itself, the only downside is that the IPAD sized display doesn't have the large punch that 13X19 prints convey.

Thanks
    Oh yeah, if you plan on working in print, then you'll certainly need to print your portfolio. What looks best digital may be a catastrafuck in print.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    ^ Yep. I've found nothing works better than printing your works in a booklet of some description as opposed to just showing your works on a screen or whatever. My current boss said that there's "something about being able to physically hold an art and design work that promotes the piece even more."

Little artsy fartsy, but it's true. As for a laptop substitute? Maybe... though having a small screened laptop might be nicer. I've never been all that hyped about the iPad though so maybe it's a biased opinion haha...

Thanks
    Why not just pick up a good netbook? It would do more, have more open architecture and ultimately be more useful than an ipad. Sure it wouldn't have the touch screen but really, do you want a robust piece of equipment or shiny bells and whistles?

Thanks
    @BlightedArt
    That need to physically hold something is the reason I can't get onboard with e-book readers. I need that sensation in my hand, my senses are left empty with ebook readers. Sure they take up less space, but they leave a hole in your soul!!
    and on topic, I would rather someone hand me their physical portfolio or a print version than hand me an ipad or laptop.

Thanks
    See iPad. Think tOsser.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Oh yeah, if you plan on working in print, then you'll certainly need to print your portfolio. What looks best digital may be a catastrafuck in print.
    Nail, head, hit it. To reinforce what others have said, never, EVER show a portfolio to an AD on an iPhone. Not only is it hard to see the work as it was intended to be seen, it also feels like you didn't care enough about your work or the person you're showing your portfolio to when your presentation is on a tiny screen.

Thanks
    I attended SIGGRAPH this year, and in one of the panels with professional illustrators, they unanimously agreed that an iPad (or something of similar caliber) was THE way to show a digital artist's portfolio. Not an iPhone for obvious reasons, but an iPad.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to goldilockz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Maybe so Goldie but, I still prefer to hold a physical piece of work. Even if they are prints and such it gives me an idea of what the work looks like in print media. I've been using a mac of the last 5 years and just switched back to pc so I probably have a bit of bias against apple products

Thanks
    I worked as a art retoucher for a video game company and we always had to retouch or adjust the color of the digital art. The art is always gonna look different when you print it. Even if you hand me digital artwork in cmyk, the screen will always show it differently and more saturated because light is coming out of the computer and in print light is bouncing of from the paper and what kind of paper you have plays a role.

Prints also looks different depending on the light source, if you know your art is gonna be on a package in a store wich has flourescent lights you gonna have to adjust it because it will not look the same in natural light or light from a conference room.
    At my work we had a guy on color theory teach us on things about this.

So in my opinion the digital art on a computer or whatever digital media u use would be ideally what you want it to look like. The retouchers and production artist try to make it as close to the original digital art as possible and sometimes its the way the printing ink is depends on the temperature of the day and other small factors happening at that particular factory.

That being said you still can get it pretty damn close printing it, and it might take a couple of tries doing some color adjustment. But for the artwork with alot of bright green or oranges you might have to make a few compromises. Also a little color variation i think wont really make a difference and most of the time you can't tell the difference until you compare it side to side and sometimes it looks better. The recent printing place i used, i even printed some of my artwork on laserjet on gloss paper and it looked pretty good to me compared to another place i went(sometimes it depends on where you go).

Soo all in all i do like prints but at this age where now i think you can get a google tablet for about 130.00 and i know there are several companies doing there own way cheaper version of the ipad, technology might be a good thing, but then again this my own opinion having experience the printing process and we were paid to be extra anal even when you don't need to be.

I would like to know how the actual people doing the interviews pefer to have it shown, so if anyone in the biz let us all know. But if i can get a cheap pad that is close to 8x11 screen size in the future, where i can calibrate the color to my monitor and it be not overly expensive i would be a happy camper.

So this is not print bashing in any way, i still prefer books then ibooks and i prefer looking at artwork in books and magazines other then on the computer, and if i could make prints at my old company's sweet inkjet on premium paper for free (not that i ever did) or i know a printing place that gives really really good prices i would probably stay with print for a while.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,056 Posts
    One thing about an iPad is that if you wanted to show a mix of still images and animations or interactive work, you could probably show it all on the same device, which would be mighty handy. Having been on both sides of the interview process, I can tell you it's always awkward having to move from the conference room table to a computer or DVD-player to see everything (with time spent fiddling to launch this or that...)

I don't think seeing a portfolio on an iPad would be a turn-off for me. If someone tried showing their portfolio on their phone, though, I think I'd laugh hysterically...

(I can see someone showing their portfolio on their phone if it's just a casual encounter where they wouldn't have a real portfolio with them... But at an interview? That's just absurd.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast