Ninja Turtles need help

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ninja Turtles need help

Greetings.

I did this in ink and colored it in Photoshop on a tablet. I've taken it as far as my present level of skill can achieve. I'm sure someone's going to have better ideas than me on how to improve it, but for the time I'm looking to give it a better background, 3-dimensionality, and more atmosphere. My ideal background would be looking down a street as the sun sets, reflecting light off the windows and sides of buildings, etc. Or at night with street lamps illuminating a humid atmosphere, with trash and particles blowing in the wind, etc. I just don't know what to do or how to do it. Should I use photographic references? If so, how so? I really don't like this as is. I'm pretty flexible on the coloring so long as the original ink doesn't get obscured. I'd appreciate any suggestions.............

Name:  CA_turtles.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  243.2 KB

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see it pretty nice.

Just a point: where does that yellow light comes from? If it comes from the raising sun, you should watch that it does not reflect in the bodies that way.
    Hum I don't know how to explain it in English xD

Just watch the lighting from behind and think if it's all yellow or maybe more orange-ish.

My superb gallery in DA! -> click here
    My skechtbook full of win! ->clicky clicky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Thélema View Post
    I see it pretty nice.

Just a point: where does that yellow light comes from? If it comes from the raising sun, you should watch that it does not reflect in the bodies that way.
    Hum I don't know how to explain it in English xD

Just watch the lighting from behind and think if it's all yellow or maybe more orange-ish.
    The yellow light was intended to come from street lamps positioned overhead, I know it looks weird.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks like everyone is lit from behind, by a super bright light. I don't think Michaelangelo's cast shadow really works and I'm thinking it would put a lot of Raphael into shadow.

I'll be honest... it looks like there are quite a few inconsistencies with the lighting, especially when you say it's from overhead.

The shadows are also really light for something I would expect to see at night or nearly night. However it does work really well to separate them from the background.

"She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Quigleyer View Post
    It looks like everyone is lit from behind, by a super bright light. I don't think Michaelangelo's cast shadow really works and I'm thinking it would put a lot of Raphael into shadow.

I'll be honest... it looks like there are quite a few inconsistencies with the lighting, especially when you say it's from overhead.

The shadows are also really light for something I would expect to see at night or nearly night. However it does work really well to separate them from the background.
    Thanks for the feedback. Honesty is what I'm looking for.

I guess technically the light is supposed to be coming from behind them, skipping off the edges of their bodies to make the yellow highlights. I was going to have street lamps going into the distance.

You're right about the shadows, the light source in front of them should be strongest, so those shadows don't belong I guess.

I just don't know what color to make them if they are green-skinned but under a warm orange/yellow light.

So confused.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.