Thanks

Blogger/Blogspot Optimzation

Hello,

In an effort to amp up my online presence as an artist, I have been trying to get my art blog and website to work properly and to load efficiently. I was wondering if anyone uses Blogger, and what suggestions you might be able to offer in terms of optimization, and getting the page to open and load quicker.

If it helps, here is the link to my blog:

www.jackillsley.blogspot.com

www.jackillsley.co.uk

The second link is that of my own website, which generally needs updating. It could also probably do with a little streamlining. The website might not open over the next couple of days because of some tweaks I'm making to it, but the blog link should work just fine.

Thanks for any help you can give,

Jack.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    For your Blogspot I'd suggest you remove the background image and replace it with just a solid colour, and have less images per page. That alone would probably increase the loading speed by a lot.

For your website, it has a nice simple design already. I think having clickable thumbnails which will load up the particular work would help. That way the browser only has to load up the image they choose and not all of them at once.

For images in general you can use the "save for web and devices" option in Photoshop to optimize the file size whilst retaining image quality.

Thanks
    I disagree about clickable thumbnails. They make sense on a vertical layout, but horizontal layouts are designed for quickly scrolling through, and having to stop and click each thumbnail would be counter intuitive on an already unfamiliar navigation method. What I would suggest is optimizing them with Save for Web as Burl said. Most of your images are in the 230kb range, which is a bit much for web design. I usually aim for 100kb or less, but I don't go higher than about 150kb if it's at all avoidable.

If you're going with the horizontal page layout, I'd suggest putting your contact information at the end of the scroll as well. It saves the viewer having to go all the way back to the beginning just to find out how to reach you.

EDIT: Also, just out of curiosity, why are you using inline CSS versus a stylesheet? An external stylesheet will save you mountains of headache if you ever want to change some of the things I see you've defined multiple times, such as the font face or color.
    Last edited by Senira; August 5th, 2010 at 10:47 AM.

Thanks
    Blogger: I have found organising your work in a tag-system is an excellent way to avoid cluttering and a possible downgrade of performance, of which speed is associated with. Blogspot offers a pretty average-to-good tag system, so I'd suggest you take a look at that and see whether that fits your preference. The most practical way I've found, though, has to be the "navigation-bar" system. As you are aware [I'm assuming so!], blogger allows you to edit the HTML and CSS built-in your theme/blog system. To make the navigation-bar work, you need to create pages within your blog. How would you go about that? Simple. For each post you create, blog creates a page for it. Now, if you were to name a post as "Illustration", and scrap a slideshow script loading all your illustrations accordingly, that could work wonders. Include that on the nav-bar et voi lá, you've got yourself some nifty featured work.

You can decide to do the very same using tags. Each tag-type creates a page of its own, so same system applies. I'm just throwing random ideas around, ideas I've seen used by others and found practical and performance-intended. On for the looks of your blog, as mentioned earlier, I'd recommend a shift of background. Have something less confusing and strident.

Website: Besides what others have mentioned already, I think you website could use some organization. Have a first page presenting your aesthetics/style, have a dedicated page to your Illustration work, another one to your Graphical work, aso.

Thanks
    Hi again,

Thank you for all of your quick replies.

I thought to myself pretty much as soon as I had pressed the Submit Post button that lessening the posts per page, and images per post might do the trick. It's obvious when you think about it.

As for CSS Vs. stylesheets, back when I was putting the site together I had never even touched Dreamweaver, other than to muck around with it and see what the interface looked like so I essentially just learned as I went along. I scrounged around on the web for tutorials and information just so that I could get something that worked and looked like a website. At the time I was just glad that I'd managed to get it to work, content to weed out any inefficiencies later on.

I've also seen the tagging system, and occasionally use it (the limited category system in my current side bar uses Blogger's automatic post tagging to direct you to poster work, photography or whatever), I haven't tried to use it to optimize anything yet though.

I will give all of this a go, thank you for your suggestions - keep them coming!

Jack.

Thanks
    Keep us updated, so we can help further.

Thanks
    Klaasillu;

I dumped the background because when I tried to save it for the web, the quality reductions played with the texture really badly and it looked awful.

Instead, I changed the background to white and adapted the logo to fit that theme (see the new smash graphic at the top). I also got rid of the border at the top to make it look a little more seamless.

I have reduced the posts per page to from seven to three, so although there are only three posts on the blog anyway, the page will never be likely to exceed that (as one of the posts is so large).

I made one or two other minute tweaks here and there, and am really pleased with the results. It's still not instantaneous, but it looks so much better without the background holding proceedings up. I am happy with the graphical quality - load speed compromise as it is.

Check it out:

www.jackillsley.blogspot.com