Any school recommendations in the Bay Area for Animation?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Any school recommendations in the Bay Area for Animation?

Hi everyone,

I'm currently going to Laney College in Oakland and taking the necessary liberal arts classes to get into San Jose State, which I'm hoping to transfer to in the fall of 2011 or spring of 2012. One of the problems I have is that I've heard that SJSU isn't accepting students unless they are local, is this true? I'm currently living in Oakland, so that would be a major bummer.

Another problem/question I have is, if the above is true, is there any other school including state universities in the Bay Area that has a good Animation program? I'm particularly curious about the Animation program at CCA and Ex'pression. I would down to the LA area if I could, because I know that'd open me open to more options, but alas that isn't the case.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance~

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Local" may well mean "from California" for SJSU, and their policies will likely change within a year (for, as far as I can understand, it's an emergency response to funding shortages, which will hopefully ease over the next year or two). I'd try and talk to someone there.

I go to CCA for animation, and it's pretty awesome. I don't think you're going to find such a concentration of top industry professionals teaching anywhere else in the world

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its true about SJSU. I think theyre closed for Spring 2011, but I'd go on their website and double check. Also, doesnt San Fran State/csusf have an animation program? Its actually part of the film dept but they do have a program. I havent heard anything about it but its something to look into.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Meloncov,
    I just realized that CCA offered Animation as a major yesterday, I don't know why I didn't notice it before, haha. Still, I'm glad I know now since there didn't seem to a lot of other options aside from AAU (which would've been my very last choice) and etc. Anyway, how's the competition for getting into the Animation program there? Is it as hard as into getting SJSU (which I heard was pretty kinda difficult)?

Aozora-Hime,
    I just checked and apparently they're only accepting applications from upper division transfers only, and only within the month of August. They can't really guarantee they can process any applications though, because whether they can or not depends on how much they receive from the state budget. :/ Hopefully by the time I apply there wouldn't be as much restrictions... Anyway, thanks so much for the SF State/CSUSF suggestion! I haven't even thought about that school, or any other school in SF aside from AAU. I'll have to check that out later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CCA's animation department (like the rest of the school) is fairly easy to get into. I think the acceptance rate is around seventy percent. It is either, depending on your view, the advantage/disadvantage of being a new program.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.