Thanks

Glassblowing Good?

I was just wondering if anyone ever had a class or knows a lot about Glassblowing since I have a chance to take a couple classes on it, yet I don't know if I should since I don't know a lot about it.

Also the money might be a factor, being an art major isn't cheap haha, and if its not worth the time and money I wont do it.

Anyone have any opinions, or um information?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I've always thought glassblowing was really cool. If I had the chance, I'd take the classes. You might become the next Dale Chihuly !
    Amy Kendall

Thanks
    Wow this is great stuff. Thanks for the link.

Thanks
    No problem. If you ever get to Las Vegas make sure to check out the Bellagio's lobby. The glass display on the ceiling in Chihuly.
    Amy Kendall

Thanks
    ... Chihuly had a show in Salt Lake during the 2002 Olympics. One of the coolest art exhibits I have ever seen. Also, as was mentioned, the installation in Vegas is nice.

I cannot think of any specific studios off hand but it seems like I run into a lot of fine glass work coming out of Oregon.

Not a really helpful post, but I felt like chiming in with something I guess

Thanks
    just keep in mind that Chihuly doesnt do all the work that has his name on it. he has a whole studio of glassblowers that do all the work for him and then he puts his name on it.
    theres a really strong glass department at my school and i have a handful of friends that are glassblowers and chihuly's name comes up quite a bit...
    its a good thing though that hes making people more aware of glassblowing and glass as an artform... but he doesnt really even do his own work anymore and hes become so commercial...like the McDonalds of glass.

Thanks
    Saying he is "like the McDonalds of glass" might be a little much..

although you are right, he doesnt blow each individual piece. Still, he designs them and instructs how the work should be assembled (because some works are made of of thousands of pieces of blown glass. Doubt he could do all the work himself. Probably one man couldn't create some of the pieces in a years time) It is still his vision, after all.. and his studio which makes the pieces. I have seen a huge collection of his work.. and what I saw was full of sincerity.

He is commercially successful.. but maybe that just means that there is a beauty in his work that speaks to a lot of people.
    Last edited by oglzogl; March 2nd, 2004 at 05:54 PM.

Thanks
    heh yeah i know what you mean,
    dont get me wrong, i respect him and his work and i like the shows of his i've been to. hes done great things for the glass world. i just hate to see something happen sort of along the lines of a thomas kinkade effect..