Help on a highschool portfolio piece
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Help on a highschool portfolio piece

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Help on a highschool portfolio piece

Hey all,

This is a piece I did a while ago, but I wanted to fix it up to make it portfolio worthy, I would really appreciate some tips on what needs to be changed or added. Thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is this the whole image or is it cropped? The reason i ask is there seams to be such a small amount of the fabric off frame. With only that small amount it looks like a mistake rather than intentional.
    Where are the bottom pegs on the instrument? Why only one excess string at the end?
    The top part of the cloth melds with the background and is hard to notice.

I think if you were to shrink the elements to fit them all in frame and then rendered this you might be able to pull something out. I like the wood grain and would like to see the warm colors on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for you insight so far. I was worried about the cloth cutting off on the left taking away from the picture, but it is the edge of the paper so i cant do much about it... when I started this drawing I never thought I would finish it so I didnt put much effort into pre-planning the layout. Oops.

The line on the right which I think you meant by "one wire" is actually the edge of the table, so i now know I'll have to make that more defined.

Also there were only pegs on the top of the instrument so that's why there are none on the underside... its kind of a weird instrument i suppose lol..

Thanks a lot for you view on this, helped a lot!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What medium were you planning on finishing it in? Were you planning on finishing it on the same paper or using this version as reference for a new start?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the two main things you need to look at are your shapes and your shadows.

The table: if you follow the orange line on the attached file the curve does not look realistic.

The instrument: the top curve of the body does not match the bottom curve of the body. The angle of the neck does not match the angle of the... uh, I don't know what you call the part that holds the pegs. About that part: the curves (traced in green) don't match. These are small mistakes that nevertheless contribute to an awkward feel for the piece.

The shadows cast by the instrument are confusing. Some shadows are in front; some are in back. There's a similar thing going on with the highlights. Decide where the light is coming from and work accordingly.

If the instrument is sitting on a table, then that definitely needs to be made clear. Right now it all looks the same. Don't be afraid to put some nice dark values in the background to help make the foreground pop.

I agree with cliFroth about the wood grain. It looks great!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the help so far.

After reading your tips I think i will just do a new one. I originally wanted to salvage this old one instead of doing another(being lazy) but after seeing how much is wrong with it I really need to start fresh.

When I started this it was in a classroom with light coming from every direction, so I'll definitely fix that in the new one.

Thanks for your help again, and especially thanks for motivating me enough to want to do a new one. maybe in charcoal this time...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh no! I feel bad.

I thought this piece was fixable. But I do understand wanting to start over with something new. Best of luck!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.