Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Lance's art time adventures :D

well, its about time i finally started one of these.

im an aspiring concept artist from the US (California). i turn 18 in a little less than a month and im going to the university of illinois at chicago for art and design in two weeks.

ive taken a bunch of fine art classes since i was little, so i think i have a pretty good grasp of drawing painting from observation, but my imaginative work sucks :/ ive been doing creature of the week here for a while and i wasnt very happy with how they were turning out because i realized my anatomy was just terrible. i was fine when working from ref with just about anything, but as soon as i took that away, i was just kind of mucking around, trying to figure out what to do and wasting a lot of time. a really inefficient way of working. so i decided that i would take a hiatus from cow and work on my anatomy and shtuffs. i dug up all the old animal books that have been collecting dust in my room since i was little and decided to start drawing from them. started doing that and then i discovered algenpfleger's sketchbook. in just two years or so, he went from just an average kid who just wanted to get better at art, to one of the best artists ive seen period. its the most inspiring and motivating thing ive ever seen.

his work ethic taught me what i was only beginning to understand. there are no shortcuts in art. of course there are certain techniques you can learn from people and tutorials and such, but they only get you so far. the rest of it is up to you. i see a lot of people everywhere asking "how do i render this", "what brush did you use for that". i was the same way. but ive realized there are no magic brushes or tutorials to solve everything for you. you have to just go and draw. many people these days talk about a "visual library": things imprinted in your brain from drawing them over and over that you can look to as reference when drawing from your head. what i want to do is to build up that visual library as much as i can and see where i go from there.

so anyway, enough with the ranting, lets get this sketchbook started!

Attachment 1388467
    Last edited by lancer_idenoure; June 26th, 2012 at 11:01 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lancer_idenoure For This Useful Post: