Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    adamsimons: ugh i know i need to be doing more! thanks

Elz: good to hear

Tigermilk: thanks a lot for the crit/paintover! i know i should be starting less saturated, but since i have such a problem with desaturation, im working into it backwards...if that makes sense....thanks again for stoppin by!

Footstepsbeckon: thanks! and just so i know what i need to work on, what should i look for with those pencils?

raminafshari: thank you! not where i wanna be yet but ill get there eventually

ok ive been playing entirely too much pokemon D: i cant help it!!! fuck that yes i can! i need to draw more, RAWR!!! (page 8!)

my first life drawinz kinda rushed some of em but oh well
    Attachment 1189954
    Attachment 1189955
    Attachment 1189956
    Attachment 1189957
    Attachment 1189958

and more work on that painting. had to ref the hair a bit. once in render the hair, just a bit more work on the face and some touch ups and ill call it done. i need to move on!
    Attachment 1189959

time for bed!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 919 Posts
    you're putting in a loooot of mileage *_*
    keep it up~

4. The Following User Says Thank You to a la bapsi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    bapsi: i need to do more art dude~~~!

gaaah school is pissing me the f*ck off! whenever i dont have homework, im too burnt out/tired to do anything and just sleep. and then i keep playing pokemon :/ spring breaks coming up next week though, so hopefully ill be fresh and ready to go.

not much to update with, just another alien forest thing thats not quite finished....:/ i miss doing all the studies i used to do. i need to get my ass in gear!!!

Attachment 1190774

*edit* 3 stars now??? :'( thats what i get for slacking. ima work my ass off tomorrow!!!

Thanks
    ugh nothing one these last 2 days....fuckschoolj_j

some "gestures" from mind. trying to actually be more gestural. kind of. yeah....and i need to do more studies from ref.
    Attachment 1192192
    Attachment 1192193

and a photo study that im sorta messing with the colors in. not finished obviously. had a helpful realization about edges. so as it turns out, if you make the painting really big, the brushes are smaller in comparison and have sharper edges....*facepalm* shoulda realized that earlier!
    Attachment 1192194

more when i have time :/

Thanks
    Haha I can see some mma influence from those gestures.
    On some of the life drawings it seemed like you were a bit too concerned about the outlines rather than the whole form in general.
    I really enjoy the line quality in those environments!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to skMOP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    skMOP: oh yeah, i forgot to mention those two mma poses are...mma poses. reffed those. and yeah, i need to study more anatomy to fix that outlining thing :/ thanks man

meh. had to study for an art history midterm so i didnt get much done (again!) but spring break starts tomorrow, so i plan on bustin ass with art!

tried to upload that photostudy i finished but the attachment manager's being stubborn.

i discovered kekai kotaki today....omg i LOVE his style! i plan on learning a lot from his works. heres a shitty half-hour doodle which was semi-inspried by his stuff.

Thanks
    those figure drawings look nice for a first time life drawing meet. was it fun? and did you feel nervous? looks like you are going somewhwere with all the hard works! stick with the daily studies and you will be good in no time...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to reila_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    reila_: it WAS fun thanks for the kind words

finally got that photo study to upload
    Attachment 1193131

aaaaand....ITS SPRING BREAK!!!!! time for a shit ton'a art!.....after i finish the essay due tonight :/

13. The Following User Says Thank You to lancer_idenoure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    gah I wish I had spring break

That picture looks very good, very realistic and a lovely colour scheme. The shadow on the neck (from the hair) looks a bit unfinished though.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sushy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I love the alien forest in post 213. It really looks imaginative and cool and I like the way you are implying texture with your pencil marks.

The only thing that I don't like about your most recent post is that bright pink in the background. Nothing else is really that saturated so it sticks out so much. I think a nice neutral color would work better.

You've got a pretty great sketchbook though!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JJacks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    DUDE.

If you haven't already, you're going to make it. You have the work ethic. I'm going to start following your advice from post #151 and hope that if I work really hard I can improve as you have. Love the tight rendering and drawing skills you're developing as well, sir.

Anyway, sorry for the awkward fanboy flattery. Please keep posting!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Clean3d For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sushy: hmm yes it does. looks like i missed a spot haha. thanks!

JJacks: thanks man! yeah that pink was kinda experimental. there was a spot of it in the original photo so i spread it around. bit too much though, thats something ill have to watch out for. thanks for stoppin by

Clean3d: awkward fanboy flattery aside, your post made me happy. haha j/k, but im really glad if this sb can inspire people to get better it means a lot. cheers mate!

ugh ive got a few projects over break so ive been trying to get those out of the way, plus running some errands so i dont starve over break. ayway, this is all ive got from the weekend

took a break from that girl painting(which i will get back to soon) andtried coloring an old sketch. messing with different layer styles. mostly soft light and overlay and such. looks pretty bad right now haha but im learning.
    Attachment 1195640

and heres a texture experiment i took a little farther. im quite happy with it took little over an hour i think. im trying to learn how to use all the crazy brushes i downloaded O_o
    Attachment 1195643

ill try to dedicate a few days purely to art if i have the time. and must....resist......pokemon!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 919 Posts
    throwing some more support your way
    keep up the hard work!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to a la bapsi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I totally agree with your thoughts here. For me it is like that: The more you know and learned, the more you recognize how less you learned in your life. But at that point it is just right to think: And the rest will come too, just keep it up. I really like your work you are doing here, and I'm sure you will make a great progress while practicing, since you know HOW to do that. Yours, Steffen

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Blauringkraken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    not bad like your words about art 100% agree
    my Sketchbook plz help me become a better artist !

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=153575

26. The Following User Says Thank You to MarcSampson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    bapsi:

Blauringkraken: thanks for stoppin by!

MarcSampson:

workin environments atm...

a crappy 10 min thing. used a photo as a compositional base
    Attachment 1197750

more studies
    30 mins:
    Attachment 1197753

a longer one. focusing on colors and how the light bounces around
    Attachment 1197752

and trying to apply the studies. bout an hour in. not sure what im gonna put in the focal point. probably a generic temple-ish thing
    Attachment 1197755

hopefully ill get more time before breaks over, but ive got a lot of projects to finish still :/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,154 Posts
    try doing daily self portraits or still lifes rather than photo studies
    keep working hard!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to ryan mcshane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    the enviros are looking pretty good!
    the greens on the water fall feel too saturated, you should bring the green down or bump some other colours to harmonise it a bit more.
    you've got a good sence of light happening in the bottom one.
    Princes of the Universe
    ~AdamSimons~~JustCallMeBruce!~~JamesSimons~

31. The Following User Says Thank You to adamsimons For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Really liking your environments, they've shown the most improvement. keep up the hard work!
    Talent and Creativity are yours to use and keep

[S K E T C H B O O K]

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Odayga For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ryanoir: i agree i need to do more life studies, but i think working from photos is just as important as you can study lighting situations and subject matter you never could from life. i also dont have a mirror lol

adamsimons: thanks for the crit. i wanted it to be green, but i went a little far with it :/

Odayga: thanks

thanks for the support everybody and sorry i havent posted in way too long (again) i had a project over spring break i had to work on for 20 hours straight to finish in time and that took a lot out of me. ive also been feelin kind of down lately being fed up with school and my body's just been a mess for the last 6 months or so cuz of gymnastics and its been really depressing not being able to do everything i used to.

i honestly just havent felt like doing art the last couple weeks. ive felt like im on the verge of some huge improvement for a while, but i just couldnt find out what i had to do. ive been doing some thinking, as well as studying some other artists work like craig mullins, kekai koteki, and others. i made another realization - one of those ones where after you realize it, you want to smack yourself in the face - i havent been paying attention to my values! *facesmack* especially with kekai koteki, even though his colors werent that great, his values gave enough definition of forms and space that he could just slap some colors over it and it would turn out looking amazing. so what im going to work on now is values.

its funny how our brains work sometimes....

weeell i dont actually have anything besides some sketches for class and that sculpture project....sorry!!! i should be apologizing to myself......but i think i really did need this break. i was just kinda going through the motions and didnt feel like i was getting anywhere for a while, so ive relaxed, taken a breather, played some inspirational videogames ;P and now im ready to kick some ass!!!

new art coming soon!!!

cheers!

-lance

Thanks
    Well ain't you something.

Spent some time going through your entire sketchbook, now.

Man you rock! Keep at it!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Aksel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well, sometimes it's better to just sit back, relax and take a break that to keep smashing your head against the wall... (not saying that that's what you were doing with your art, mind you, it's just what I got from your last post)...

Anyways, glad to see you're getting your strength back..., can't wait to see what you come up with!
    My sketchbook - help me get better!

38. The Following User Says Thank You to fernandoart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thanks a bunch guys, your support means a lot.

well i still havent gotten as much work in as i want and i still have final projects coming up i need to work on :/ summer starts in 2 weeks though!

spent another 20 mins on that temple thing just to call it finished
    Attachment 1213828

i did a few tonal studies and i feel like they helped a lot. duplications of other people's work which i spent about 10-40 mins on

mullins:
    Attachment 1213829
    Attachment 1213830

kekai kotaki:
    Attachment 1213831

khang le:
    Attachment 1213832

and heres my entry for teen challenge 116. topic was spirit animal. missed the deadline though :/ need to get better at that....
    Attachment 1213833
    Attachment 1213834
    Attachment 1213835

learned quite a bit from it, and also got reminded of things i need to work on.

ive got some other stuff floatin around as well, but its not much. i finally beat twilight princess though so that wont take up so much of my time haha. gotta get this sketchbook goin again!

anyways, till next time guys!

Thanks
    Man, very nice update.., specially your last piece, it has a patrounuss charm feel to it.. I like it
    The only thing I could point your eyes to, would be the hands and feet, unless you actually meant them to be like that, they look a bit bulky, dont you think?

Anyways, keep it up, and the this thing going again!
    My sketchbook - help me get better!

41. The Following User Says Thank You to fernandoart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 748 Posts
    Colours and values are looking nice man! I think those studies are paying off.

My only critique is that you need to still work on your structure more with your figures.

Keep it up (and update more often!).
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    fernandoart: no i definitely just suck at hands and feet *_* i guess it kiiiinda works for this one...maybe. but i need to work on those, i just didnt wanna fuss over them for hours, ya know? thanks for the support man

andrew: thanks my fellow hapa! haha ;P yeah, its something i definitely need to work on, but right now im kinda taking things one at a time and for now im focusing on values and environments, so ill pick up figures again in a couple weeks. i feel like its a better way work so you can focus on and really buckle down on one thing instead of trying to juggle colors, anatomy, composition and everything else at the same time. just a thought. ill probably change my mind in a month haha

heres an enviro sketch from today. took a thumb from my sketchbook and reffed some photos real quick to get a feel for the colors, then dropped those and painted the rest. not quite done yet though.

Attachment 1214388

im doing a bunch of environments for my final project in drawing, so expect a lot more of these

*edit*: just another thought, i realized something from those monochrome studies i did: separation of values! if you break up a composition into some large contrasting shapes of value it really gives an image a lot more readability and makes it pop more. hope this helps someone

Thanks
    been pretty sleep deprived so im calling it a day a bit early. heres some more work on that enviro project.
    Attachment 1214846
    Attachment 1214848

later!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 748 Posts
    I'm loving the enviro in post 236! Maybe try getting some darker values and some cooler hues in the shadow.

You may also want to check out James Paick...I've been studying some of his stuff today and yesterday and have been blown away at his use of values and composition. SOOOOOO educational to do some copies.

PS: You get summer in two weeks? Lucky. I have to wait until the end of June .
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    *spam post! *

definitely agree andrew, already workin on fixin that. and hoooly oh mah god paick is amazing! definitely gonna do some studies from him. thanks man! haha i feel like you know just about every awesome ref source there is. and yeah, but i start at the end of august plus i ended at the end of june last year so i only had 2 months of summer. this year i get a solid 3! hoorah

sorry for spam! ill have more stuff tonight though

Thanks
    another b/w enviro sketch. i did some more pencil thumbs too, but its late and my roommates asleep so i cant take pictures of them now. ill have em up along with more stuff tomorrow

and 3 stars makes me sad but thats what i get for slacking and having my sketchbook dedicated to hannes....
    Last edited by lancer_idenoure; April 22nd, 2011 at 03:16 AM.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast