Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    RyanRyan: thanks man!

HerrleerzeichenS: awesome! and yeah, hannes is just....yeah

this week sucks. its 4:30 in the morning and i still have more work to finish tomorrow. school sucks soooo much!!! im really hoping itll get better once i start taking classes for my major

dropping photo study real quick. the colors were really hard on this one, they were practically all 100% brightness, just varying amounts of saturation. learned a bunch though
    Attachment 1170300

ill post my school projects in a day or 2

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    been real busy. droppin this quick color experiment/brush test. just downloaded DefiledVisions' brush pack. thanks man its awesome

little over an hour......ended up kinda washed out :/ i know why though, ill have to watch for it in the future.
    Attachment 1170877

'til next time!

Thanks
    another horrible experment. gaaaaah ive been frustrated lately. my faces are god-awful an my colors are even worse when working from imagination. i think im gonna go back to duplications of other people's art to get a grasp on it. its gonna take a lot of work and theres gonna be a lot of crap coming from it, but its something i really need to do. im somewhat kinda satisfied with my pencils at the moment (compared to my colors) so im gonna spend the next few weeks really buckling down on color. anyway, im rambling, so heres my fail:
    Attachment 1173365

ive done some sketches too, but im too lazy to scan them. nowhere near to what i was doing before break though....ive been pretty worn out lately :/

Thanks
    heres my start on color studies. all 3 are copied from other people's stuff. fisrt one is some random thing from deviantart, and the last 2 are jeff simpson studies. his stuff is awesome and his colors are orgasmic. learned a lot from these

40 mins:
    Attachment 1174065

2 hoursish:
    Attachment 1174066
    Attachment 1174068

workin on stroke economy too. big thanks again to DefiledVisions for his brushpack. i finally can get my brushstrokes to behave more like oils. lovin iiiit

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lancer_idenoure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 748 Posts
    Nice studies man! I totally feel where you're coming from with colours from imagination. I think it is a matter of applying the studies right away. I think you saw the double studies in my sketchbook? It is a great exercise...Jason Rainville just posted a similar study where he does another painting after a photostudy but with a new pose. And openanewworld used to copy Sargent then right after do a painting from imagination with the same palette.

So maybe give those types of studies a try, because your colours from ref are really good.
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The second one pure awesomeness!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MartinC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Andrew Sonea: thanks man. and yeah i did see those. i might try something like that later, but right now im concentrating on how color behaves, not light....not sure how to explain it. kinda like how darker colors usually get more saturated and other things like that. i will definitely take your suggestions to heart and try those double studies though, just not quite yet. i feel like im about to have a breakthrough

MartinC: thank you kind sir. again, not my original though. Jeff Simpson is awesome O_O his website

ok heres some stuff ive been doing for school plus some doodles

this is 4x3 FEET and it sucks ass and took forever. big ass waste of time :/
    Attachment 1174400
    this one is like 2x3 feet:
    Attachment 1174401

and an 18x24 sketch of my bathroom. in pen, working on lines. i fail *_*
    Attachment 1174402

a girly that looks like a dude. i like the hair though. fire!!!
    Attachment 1174403

some sketches from mind. they feel better, but i need to get back to anatomy studies....
    Attachment 1174404
    Attachment 1174405

and heres a homework assignment i did tonight. spent about 4-5 distracted hours on it i wanna say. added some steps too. oh and its 18x24 as well
    Attachment 1174406
    Attachment 1174407
    im gonna go back in and color it in photoshop once i feel more confident with my colors. can you say portfolio piece???

oh yeah, and i got an internship lined up for summer http://shadedbox.com/ its not finalized yet, but i talked to the manager(?) person and he said hed love to have me intern, so thatll be cool (i hope). at least ill get paid

anyway, its 3 am and i need some sleep. later!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lancer_idenoure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    huuuuuuuuuuum ..... go go gooood

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kiarash For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Kiarash: thanks

gaaaaah school sucks! ive only done a few sketches and barely started another photo study. ill get em up tomorrow :/

Thanks
    sorry for the spam post! heres some work on a photo study. couple hours so far. breakin outta dem comfort zones!!! im taking these much more slowly now. i think its paying off, im learning a lot and its good rendering practice, as i havent done much of that lately :/
    Attachment 1176747

ill finish this later today, as well as some facial studies

*edit: oh and, im gonna do one more study after this, and then get into some serious imaginitive work. RAWR!!!
    Last edited by lancer_idenoure; February 24th, 2011 at 04:22 PM.

Thanks
    Lancer, dude, that last environment sketch is sick! It would look great as a portfolio piece. The only thing I think would make it better is if you maybe didn't do it in photoshop. Like, of course you can, but a nice, elaborate sketch of an environment like that I think could look way more beautiful as a portfolio piece and can show more skill. Also, it may give you somethin to work on in any off time you might have. Just a suggestion though dawg

Also, that photo study looks nice, reminds me of what I need to start doin ha

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest_I For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Forrest_I: thanks, and duly noted. i might touch it up a bit as a sketch. oh and i wrote a big long thing in your sb but internet crashed and it didnt post ill try again later today.

nuther experiment. feels better but still muddy colors :/ ill try again and again until i get them down!!!!

*edit* i feel like my colors are decent when i first block them in, but as soon as i get in to rendr stuff out it looks like total shit :/ any tips?....please? ;_;

poopy:
    Attachment 1177463

gaah my faces suck! more stuff later today

Thanks
    Nice work! I like the colors, and the pencil stuff is real sweet, nice lines! Keep up the good work!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to alexson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i don't really have the experience to offer solid advice, but this is the internet so:
    if you are mixing a cool colour with a warm colour it generally looks grey and sometimes "muddy".
    so its kind of a matter of getting the right grey mud into the right spot.
    keep up the good work
    Princes of the Universe
    ~AdamSimons~~JustCallMeBruce!~~JamesSimons~

23. The Following User Says Thank You to adamsimons For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    alexson: thanks! but...my lines....good? this is new and strange haha

adamsimons: hahaha ill take all the advice i can get. much love for the asspat (i think thats my first one )

been doing pencil things. i figure if i want to practice with colors i might as well have something decent to paint them on top of. sooo.......FACES ARE GONNA DIIEEEEE!!!! (anatomy too)

ive been doing more detailed studies like this:
    Attachment 1179290

too lazy to photo other things, but i felt i should post something.

ps: i can draw noses in my sleep now

25. The Following User Says Thank You to lancer_idenoure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The last one from imagination is nicee. Sometimes when rendering some of the colors can get lost through blending with low opacity brushes, or the values can get muddy. To avoid muddy colors, try painting with opacity pen pressure off, and manually control the opacity by pressing numbers, (9 for 90%, 5 for 50%, etc). Just as an experiment.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to skMOP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    skMOP: thanks for the tip dude

dumping some shtuff

half-assed crap from drawing class. perspective is so hard with pen!
    Attachment 1180821
    Attachment 1180823

im hardcore studying faces now! these are about half reffed, half imagination. mix of vanderpoel, ruanjia, and photos. im trying to think more about different masses of form and its helping tons!
    Attachment 1180825
    Attachment 1180826

still need to do eyes and then all the random bone sturctures like cheeks and stuff.

some torso studies. one from imagination
    Attachment 1180827

and i repainted my friend from an earlier post cuz the first one was from life and sucked horribly. plus it was his birthday
    Attachment 1180828

(is it just me, or does the rendering look similar to Miles's )

things i need to do in the near future:
    - COLORS!!!!!!!!!!
    - facial sturctures
    - value studies
    - everything else!

cheers!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to lancer_idenoure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    not much done today :/ just some plant studies from life

31. The Following User Says Thank You to lancer_idenoure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey so just something I noticed from your pen drawings. Practice drawing a straight line. Over and over again. And then over again. Something that I'm really working on myself.

When drawing environments/architecture, it sometimes helps to simplify stuff into 2 point perspective, so that you can easily tell what stuff is supposed to be parallel and line up, etc. Like the columns in the first pic of #197.

Don't half ass it! Perspective is important. Keep up the studies bro.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to skMOP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    skMOP: um....yeah those were pretty half-assed haha. i didnt take the time to turn the paper to make those lines straight. will do in the future!

Thanks
    ive been thinking about why my colors turn out muddy when i blend them, and i played around a bit in photoshop and the color picker with some VERY basic stuff and something clicked! im in a hurry, but it has to do with base colors. ill exlain it later
    Attachment 1182013

heres a quick sketch im gonna test it on (with my new face-drawing power!!!)
    Attachment 1182014

sorry about the boring generic crap, but hey, im learning ;P

Thanks
    mooore anatomyyy! yeah i think that doing tons of constructive anatomy studies will really help you at this point

37. The Following User Says Thank You to xinranliu For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I just like your thread because it is a tribute to hannes.
    But if you really want to get good fast, doo a lot more!
    Hannes wasn't as "lazy" as you

Keep it up dude!
    Sil

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Lukas Esch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    xinranliu: i agree completely! im finally getting a grasp as to what that means. i just have to go through every body part like i did with noses and mouths

Silwynar: yeah i havent really been on par with hannes' old workload. lifes been keeping me busy :/

ok i hit a couple snags along the way with this, but i think ive fixed them for the most part and now im liking where its going
    Attachment 1182432

*note to self: until you dont suck so much ass with color, stick to normal lighting situtations!* -sunlight things next!

Thanks
    ugh ive been really busy. only did some more work on that last painting....
    Attachment 1186104

ill have some time to do more stuff soon. i hope... D:

Thanks
    BUSY!?!?! pish posh! get to work lance!
    the hair direction feels better, the shadow corner of the mouth is too low.
    keep up the good work
    Princes of the Universe
    ~AdamSimons~~JustCallMeBruce!~~JamesSimons~

43. The Following User Says Thank You to adamsimons For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Awesome stuff man, you're just getting better every time I come and take a peek. Keep it up!

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Elz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey Lance!

I think it's really great that you're doing alot of studies. Get you're drawing solid. Perspective and form is very important to know thoughroly to be able to make your figures believeble when tiped in space.

The last portrait is really good too. It's very varm though. Both skintones and bakground and hair. It's important to work with contrast and complemetary colors when painting. You might be aware of the fact that you should always go from desaturated to saturated colors when painting, or vice versa. Keep that as a thumb rule.
    Because of the fact that the background is very saturated and warm I would advice you to change the color scheme of the skintones. Go from cold desaturated shadows to varmer tones and highlights. Also try to introduce stronger edges where you've chosen your focal point. There are many ways to attract the eye toward the focal point, this is one of the ways. So be bold with contrasts in both colors, values and brushstrokes in that area.

Also like Adamsimons said about the corner of the mouth: it's not fully in perspective now. Find your vanishing point in every thing you paint or draw. When you tip form in space it always follows one or several vanishing points. This is why you have to know your perspective.

I hope you don't mind but I did a fast paint over to demonstrate what I mean. I should've introduced even more desaturated colors though, i think, to build up more contrasts. I hope it's okey, i absolutely only wanna try to help. And you may gather as much of this information as you care for.
    Really enjoy watching you progress!
    Last edited by Tigermilk; March 13th, 2011 at 12:16 PM.

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Tigermilk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    firstly,let me see im very impressed by your digital advancement. Your pencil works could use a bit of improving here and there but its good to see you havent left them behind.

...oh,i owe you an eaten hat too. I looked at the pencil environment you were drawing on page 7 ,my initial thoughts were 'is that it?!' and then i scrolled down and was very impressed. derp.

Keep going
    Will
    Never Attempt the Possible;attempt the impossible and even if you fail,you'll fall among the stars.

49. The Following User Says Thank You to FootstepsBeckon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    renderings are magnificent .
    On And On , I Am Cursed To Live Cursed With Life Until I Have Done What Done What Must Be Done . . . I Am The Man Who Would Not Die .

51. The Following User Says Thank You to raminafshari For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast