Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    rawr page 4!!!

bapsi: fo sho! and if our art powers had kids those kids would be...like miles!!!...not quite, but soon!

Seage: thanks a bunch man! your comment made me happy and haha wouldnt that be awesome. we'll see

aaaand not so much done today... i was feelin kinda lazy. its been a looong week so i just relaxed for a while.

some more work on this guy. im really liking where its going color wise but i still have a bit to do with the design. im not quite liking the face mask or the shoulder pad thing...or the part around his hips. i havent gone in and rendered anything for a while, so im gonna keep working on this (he needs hands)
    Attachment 1104788
    oh and i dropped by character of the week and the topic is steampunk superhero...think he looks superhero-y enough? haha i think ill submit it

also, the topic for cow this week is awesome. ill get some sketches in for that tomorrow. i also need to finish the other paintings ive (not) been working on haha. and do photo studies. and anatomy. and lines and life painting and gestures and stuff. busy busy busy

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    pretty small update. its been a lazy weekend we could all use one of those every once in a while.

heres a start on this week's cow. bout an hour and a half or so so far.

Thanks
    had an early thanksgiving with my team yesterday and a little party party saturday but lazy time ends tomorrow! getting some decent sleep tonight and my last class before break is tomorrow so im gonna bust my ass and get some shit done! RAWR!!!

oh i downloaded alchemy and did some doodles, but they got lost :/ im gonna try to finish that cow by wednesday too.

Thanks
    Hey there! Your portraits are by far my favorite part of your sketchbook. Very clean and solid lines. And I know someone already commented on it on the last page, and you commented on them, and I feel slightly out of place by even critiquing you when you're by far better than me, but I wouldn't just dismiss the idea of sketching your gestures more, so easily. Great artists still don't outline. They get into all the crevices they find important to get the form down, not just the outline. You certainly get the idea of the pose in your gestures, but they still feel rather motionless. Like cut-outs, with straight, inorganic lines. The gestures that deal with perspective get more form, simply because you seem to still need the lines inside the outline (like conveniently numbered 221 - I should start numbering, that's a good idea xD)

You also say you're focusing on anatomy and proportions with your gestures, which is great. But then why not put those markers in to not only help define the form, but for future reference? Gestures are more than just a momentary work out for your brain - they can be helpful guides. Mark the chest. Mark the end of the abs. Notice how the calf muscle slopes into the ankle.

(And a Walt Stanchfield reference to back up my 'great artists still do it' xD ) http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_H59SXp3EtP...tanchfield.jpg
    Last edited by MountSyanide; November 23rd, 2010 at 12:43 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MountSyanide For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ZombieGrub: nah dont worry man, i appreciate the crit. thats how we all get better. and thanks a bunch for the suggesion with marking the different muscles. i have no idea how i never thought of that! haha damn well yeah, thanks man. and im gonna try to apply those lines from the portraits to my other sketches

ok dammit. didnt get much done today. i did a TON of sketches on alchemy though, and i figured out how to save them, but theye all separate files right now. if i feel up to it ill paste em togther and post em tomorrow.

heres some more work on that cow. i figured out the basic lighting so now its just rendering and tweaking things. i wanna add some yellow in there, i think itll balance out the piece more. right now its just mostly greenish-blues. hooray for overlay layers .....its due tomorrow :/ i better get crackin. i swear, these backgrounds i do are gonna be the death of me.
    Attachment 1107751

and um, yeah thats it. fuck.
    no class tomorrow, got pretty much the whole day to myself, gonna do a bunch of art i promise!

Thanks
    sweet fishy dude, it's really looking like it'll be awesome. Can I make a suggestion though? It looks like you're blending colors a little early and slowly building up your values in layers with somewhat transparent marks (its hard to tell from all the way over here though). I would recommend just turning opacity off during the beginning phases of your painting. Paint entirely opaquely laying your colors next to each other like a posterized image. I think if you do that a few times, it'll will really increase the speed of your early stages, but also allow you a greater degree of accuracy and freedom during that stage, making it more effective. (I can't say how many times I would realize something is messed up after hours of work) Maybe it will help you nail things down better and make those backgrounds that will be the death of you a little easier.

Oh yeah and the warrior type dude is a little wonky. You should make a point to constantly measure all aspects of all of your figures always. After a little while you'll memorize all of the comparative measurements so you won't have to look them up, and your eye for good proportions will start to get good and then REALLY good. Right now he's not very threatening because he's kind of doll-like and not all that believable.

Your ideas are fantastic and you're rolling right along making awesome improvements! Your stuff is getting to be really impressive. Keep going!
    My Website / My Sketchbook / My DeviantArt

Garlunk|Human|lvl07|pvp00|E0|Siren's Well
    Tomyris|Mystical|lvl02|pvp00|E0|Killrog's Palace
    PAINT HAMMER! The Art Making RPG!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NickTrip For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    NickTrip: well i just use the basic round brush with 100% opacity. my problem is i blend too much O_O i need to get more confident with my brushstrokes! and yeah, anatomy...fuck. thanks man, ill get working on those things!

damn...ive been sooo laaaazyyyyyyy!!!!!! um, it was thanksgiving? well i guess it was nice to have a break. recharged my art batteries and busted out a bunch today. i little kick in the face from flipping through algenpfleger's sketchbook again doesnt hurt too much either its still hard to fathom the sheer amount of work he put out in a day O.o i wish i had that kind of dedication, i get distracted too easily.

anyway, heres a little more cow work. i didnt get to finish cuz i had to leave to a friends place on wednsday for thanksgiving :/ oh well, ill try to finish it later (of course we all know that most likely wont happen for a while)
    Attachment 1110347
    and at least i got something done over break, even if its just a super shitty life painting. my friends were playing guitar while we were waiting for thankgiving dinner so i painted them...badly. they were constantly moving so that made it ridiculously hard for me, ive never even drawn moving things before, let alone painted. spent about 2.5 hours on it and it looks like shiiiiiit!!! i almost dont want to post it! i need to get better!
    Attachment 1110348

and today's work

FINALLY started seriously tackling anatomy. did some loomis studies which helped SO much. these were the only ones i drew but i read through one of his whole books. that helped a bit too
    Attachment 1110349
    did a few pages of gestures from imagination afterwards. these got a lot better
    Attachment 1110351
    Attachment 1110352
    girls are harder than guys for me now, there's a lot less muscle definition so its...subtler. and theres some crapcrapcrap faces on the bottom. i need to get back into those
    Attachment 1110354

did some eye studies. i spent a lot longer on these than i would have liked. i need to simplify my brushstrokes, start not caring about blending and just focus on the color. or just get faster...so much to learn! O.o
    Attachment 1110359
    Attachment 1110361
    Attachment 1110363
    heres an hour and a half photo study. the face turned out really bad :/
    Attachment 1110365
    and lastly a quick speedpaint. this was different, i started with just a color scheme and just played around with shapes until i saw something. the ship is terrible, but overall i think it turned out ok. meh...
    Attachment 1110367

ive got a few projects due tomorrow so i probably wont be able to fit much art in...knowing me though im probably gonna do some anyway and be up till 4 in the morning again haha. speaking of which, its 3am right now, time to get some sleep! RAAAAWWRRR i shall get better!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Hey lancer, I'm lovin the studies man, especially the eye ones. The speedpainting I think looks really cool, are you gonna go anywhere with it or just gonna drop it?

Thanks
    Forrest_I: hey whats up! thanks, and about the speedie i dunno, maybe. i wasnt planning on it but maybe when i get a little better i might do a full painting.

well i couldnt resist doing a little i spent a few hours looking through algenpfleger's and jana's sketchbooks. god, those guys are so good i wanna cry! algen just puts out soooo much work and improves so fast and then jana's...well shes jana. basically a god. i need to work harder!

did some hogarth studies. these are sooo helpful at first i didnt want to do them because they were pretty exaggerated and "unrealistic" but i guess i had to learn some anatomy before i could appreciate it. that was dumb of me.....
    gonna do tons more of these!
    Attachment 1110907
    Attachment 1110908
    Attachment 1110909
    oh and i got to borrow a scanner for a graphic design project. hmm i should get one...

stupid school. im off to do homework!

Thanks
    Hey, nice sketchbook you have going on here! I looooove the studies you're doing, shows some real dedication the last digital you did of the female is looking great! My only crit is that you shouldn't be afraid to render some of your anatomy studies, it'll really drive it all into your head if you're learning how the form works AND how light works with it! Keep it up man, i'll be back to see more!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lang Oulk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh, man.

I finally made up my mind to pursue a career involving art, so hearing about your decision and watching your progress has got me inspired! I'm amazed at the work you've put into it--it reminds me of how I used to be dedicated a few years ago. Thank you for revamping my desire to learn and grow.

I'll be back for more =]

Dissociation

P.S.--don't forget to do work from imagination! Never let your imagination simmer down, cuz if you don't use it, you lose it.
    "In Art, the hand cannot execute anything higher than the heart can imagine." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Mind Dungeon:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=151867

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dissociation For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Lang Oulk: thanks! i think ill save rendering them for a little while longer until i get some more basic understanding of anatomy. so quantity over quality for now

Dissociation: your comment put a smile on my face. it feels so great to be motivated by other people, so im real glad i can give other people the same feeling. see you around! i havent done much imaginationy stuff in waaay too long. a few more studies and im gonna get on that big time

waaaaaaahhhh! its 6:30 in the effing morning!!! i hate homework so much! especially when its for classes i dont give a shit about. course, it is kinda my fault for procrastinating, but it was art procrastinating...if that makes sense. i cant wait till next year when im not taking these foundation classes. at least im done with english for life in about 2 weeks ill most likely be sleeping after my classes tomorrow, so probably no art....gaah im so tired!

Thanks
    well i was only gonna get about an hour of sleep at most and i figured that would probably make me more tired throught the day, so i drew some hands instead. got inspired by algenpfleger's hands and plus i suck at hands. oh and i need to get a mirror O_O

working on lines too
    Attachment 1111273
    Attachment 1111274

damn todays gonna suuuuuuck! no sleep :'(

Thanks
    You have some attractive hands . Nice update man, but running on little sleep is always a bummer, but for me at least once you get past a point you just become wired and the hours slip away and all of a sudden you have like 4 pages of studies haha. The hands are looking great though! I think ill do some as well . Drink some coffee, blast some music, and pump out those studiesss!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Lang Oulk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Lang Oulk: uh never heard that one before haha. did you mean hand drawings O_O? well i can make do with little sleep but NO sleep just sucks. thanks!

did another page of hands. lines still suck :/
    Attachment 1112817

and some more figures too. these were brainstorming poses for character of the week (i know the proportions suck on the standing ones)
    Attachment 1112818
    and finally a sketchbook page thats not a study!!! i really like this one, im just not sure what to do with the wings.
    Attachment 1112819
    added some colors. used a ref for the clouds. i like where its going
    Attachment 1112820

thats all for now, hopefully have more later today
    Last edited by lancer_idenoure; December 1st, 2010 at 03:49 PM.

Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast