Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    kinda a lot of replies O_O for me anyway.

timdegro: thanks again man ^_^ yeah that websites awesome. and practice is good. very good!

Gamerhomie: thanks! and uh...yeeaaah i need to get back on that. i have a bad habit of not finishing things :/ i wanted to improve a bit more before i started painting it though cuz i want it to be a portfolio piece. and well i got to school in chicago but im back in cali right now for the holidays. i go back next week.

mrd33ds: gracias. well i can find some stuff to crit O.O still got a ways to go to get where i wanna be. thanks though. cheers!

DSmith: poopie self portrait X(.....thank you

skMOP: thanks man. dropped by your sketchbook too youve made some improvements as well!

Dana_T: im gonna try some more, it was fun thanks!

krysjez: thank yooouuu i need to get better though!

some thoughts about art:
    well i know ive been improving lately and ive been thinking about what contributes to that improvement so whatever works the most i can do more of. besides just doing large quantities of art, i think there are certain things or processes you can do that will make you improve faster than others. for example, i looked through Miles's sketchbook (darn kid, rawr! haha) and i saw he improved faster than anyone ive seen, with maybe the exception of algenpfleger. i also noticed that even though he and algen improved at about the same rate, Miles wasnt doing as much art as algen was. so whatever Miles was doing had to have been a bit more efficient.
    anyway, i went back through his sketchbook again to figure out what he was doing and i saw he did a bunch of studies of photos and anatomy and all that stuff and then h would go and do a finished illustration. then he would go and do more studies and then another piece. and pretty much every piece was a little better than the last one. algenpfleger did tons and tons and tons of studies but not as many finished pieces.
    so what i got from that was that i think that doing a finished illustration every week or 2 in between studies will make you apply the things youve learned from the studies and engrain them in your head much better than just doing studies back to back. im not saying people should do less studies, but i think that working from imagination can help you improve much more quickly. of course, for improvements sake, if i had to choose one, i would pick doing nothing but studies over doing nothing but pieces from imagination. so i would recommend doing more studies than imaginitive work, but doing that little bit from your head makes a lot of difference.
    but, a problem i see a lot is people jumping the gun trying to do things they are not ready for. im guilty of this too. i mentioned this in my first post, but there is no magic texture brush or overlay layer that will instantly make you better. sure, different brushes and types of layers can have some amazing effects, but not until you understand the fundamentals and can use these things correctly. you must be able to put down the right colors and values in order for a piece to look good. ive seen some people (including me, look at my first post) render out things down to every last little detail, but if the colors and values arent right, it wont look half as good as something that does have those right but in a few, loose strokes. its kind of the same story with studies actually. ive seen a people do a lot of anatomy studies that have bold, fantastic lines that are inaccurate. or photo studies with great brush strokes or rendering, but the drawing or colors/values are off. in order to pull as much as you can from those studies, you have to be able to accurately "study" whatever it is you are looking at. if you have to sacrifice some line quality in order to get that drawing of your hand just right, or spend a lot of extra time checking the color on that photo study, DO IT. the quality of your lines and strokes will improve and you will get faster and more efficient the more you do, but it is a much harder road trying to learn things the other way around. line quality and bold brush strokes are definitely weaknesses of mine and take a level of finesse i dont have, but i can say i am at least getting the forms and colors down accurately when i do studies. but if you arent getting the forms and colors correctly than you arent learning how a hand really looks or how light really bounces off an object. especially with things like faces, where the tiniest detail in the wrong spot can make it look wrong, this is key. if you feel that your studies arent looking how you want them to, take the time to find out WHY. figure out why the expression looks wrong or why the colors/values are looking washed out. im not saying to meticulously spend hours on each study you do making everything perfect, but putting in that extra effort to make sure you are putting the big shapes in the right spot or that your colors are just about the same can really help you pull as much as you can out of a study. if you keep doing more and more with that extra effort, you will get faster and faster and wont have to put as much effort in to get the same level of accuracy; or you can spend the same amount of time and get a much better result.
    so the main things i want to get across (plus a short version for people who dont wanna read the essay i just wrote ) are:

-make sure you can accurately copy the things you are studying from. if your studies are inaccurate, you will be learning what things DO NOT look like or how light DOESNT behave.

-if this means you have to sacrifice line or brush stroke quality for accuracy, DO IT! clean lines and brush stroke efficiency require finesse and will not look good if the lines or strokes are not in the right place or are the wrong value or color. the quality of these things will improve with practice, but it is more important to get them accurate than pretty.

-APPLY the studies you do. do a finished illustration every once in a while in between studies and really try to apply what you learned from those studies. this will help ingrain what you learned in your head, and also give you a good idea of how youve improved, as well as show you what you need to improve on for your next batch of studies.

-and i cant stress this enough. DO MORE ART!!! this is the most important thing anyone can do if they want to get better. we can sit around all day and say "oh, i want to be as good as that one guy" but as long as we dont get off our butts and do something about it we will not improve. i understand people have lives and for many people its hard to stay motivated for long periods of time. but try to fit in a little bit of art every day, no matter how little. every bit helps. and the reason me, algenpfleger, MindCandyMan and all the other hard working people out there stayed motivated is because they all knew how good they wanted to be and they understood that the only way that they would get there was through hard work. ive been thinking about and i just put it in my signature, but "KEEP DOING ART AND YOU'LL EVENTUALLY GET WHERE YOU WANT TO BE. HOW FAST YOU GET THERE IS UP TO YOU."

so yeah sorry for the crazy long post, but its something ive been thinking about for a while, and i thought it might help some people.

anyway, heres a little more work on that chow. still got quite a ways to go O_O i gotta do some more metal and skin tone studies too
    Attachment 1130401

cheers guys!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to lancer_idenoure For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 919 Posts
    agree 100% man.
    your horsemen piece is coming along quite nicely as well.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to a la bapsi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 748 Posts
    Thanks for writing that whole thing. I was actually just thinking how I am not really doing enough from my imagination and I feel it is really holding me back. I guess I'll have to try and change that in the new year.

Your latest painting is coming along really nicely, but I am a little confused as to the lightsource in the background. I seems to me that there is a setting sun there, but at the same time there is one behind us lighting the horses. Also the lighting on the white horse and rider is slightly inconsistent--in some areas it appears to be coming more straight on and other areas more from the right hand side.

Anyhow, keep going. Your sense of colour is pretty strong...work on construction and anatomy more and you will be awesome.
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Andrew Sonea thanks man. and yeah i was a little undecided which way i wanted the light to be shining, but i decided that now so im fixing it. and the light in the background is supposed to be hell. in the story hell is following death which is the last rider. and ive got some other stuff to work on too if i wanna be awesome O_O

a la bapsi: why thank you sorry the sketchjam didnt work out next time!

my internet was acting funky last night so i couldnt post this.

didnt get much done on monday (just some work on the chow) so i made up for it yesterday. finally got a bridgman pdf soooo helpful!
    Attachment 1132311
    Attachment 1132312
    Attachment 1132313
    Attachment 1132314
    Attachment 1132316

page from head:
    Attachment 1132317

and some studies of ixius's stuff. his lines are soooooooooo good! construction too. this helped a bit. hope he doesnt mind...
    Attachment 1132318

and a page of really ugly people
    Attachment 1132319

also did a screencap painting from a website i got from andrew sonea. thanks again! here it is; its awesome: cinemasquid
    Attachment 1132320

and heres an update on that chow. still gotta redo the 2 on the left :/ and a looooot of rendering.
    Attachment 1132321

oh yeah and if you havent seen it yet.....GO VISIT CREATURE OF THE WEEK!!!! ITS ROUND 200 AND THE TOPIC'S SUPER EPIC!!! COME SUPPORT/PARTICIPATE!

Thanks
    Woo! You're workin your toukas off. Great show

Hard for me to crit on horses, cause I'm not so familiar with them, but I think there may be some construction issues with their heads. I don't think they are quite so trapezoidal.

But like I said, I'm kind of retarded about horses, so disregard my crit if you like!

Keep goin! I wanna see that CHOW resolved! And btw, you are a beast for goin for it, I was too much of a ninny to attempt it -_-
    SKETCHBOOK

BLOG

"Only put off till tomorrow, what you are willing to die left undone." -Pablo Picasso

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kiwigarbage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 706 Posts
    you're doing good my friend. Nice thoughts about art too, see you in COW

lotsa love ~DV

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DefiledVisions For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 748 Posts
    Yay I got a mention! I laughed when I saw what you are posting--it's like we are doing the same thing. Not only the screencaps, but also just last night I did a few pages studying Ixius' lines (you have good taste).

The CHOW is looking better; nothing to crit on it. For the other stuff you still need to focus on construction more. On the page with the "ugly people" heads this is pretty evident. I found that Kevin Chen had some really helpful simplifications and constructions of the head:
    http://www.angelfire.com/art3/kchendemos/
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 919 Posts
    lol
    Lance's art time adventures :D

i'm not suuuuure but i have this feeeeeeling that you miiight want us to participate in COW 200. ;D

16. The Following User Says Thank You to a la bapsi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great stuff man, I can see you improving a ton at this rate. I love the horse piece, my only crit is that it proportionally your characters are too large for the horses. Take this image as an example of good proportions: [Clicky!]notice how her butt sits in the middle of the horse's back, while in yours the characters seem to sit almost on the horse's rear. This makes the horses look like they have really small backs. I hope this makes sense? Its coming out great so far regardless!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphirelullaby For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice work! keep it up mister!
    Talent and Creativity are yours to use and keep

[S K E T C H B O O K]

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Odayga For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 907 Posts
    hey this is going great !

your faces are getting better especially the painting, you seems pretty young in the self portrait.

always thankful to u for sharing your steps in oil, hope u keep it

good luck with your nexts

22. The Following User Says Thank You to zou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    sorry guys gotta run. im gonna be crazy busy up until about tuesday night so i wont have much time for art...or computer things

ill do replies when i can. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Thanks
    great great, your creatures really amazing i like it

the best advice to you just explore stone study and put it in the creature's textures

Keep it up

Qlotzan

25. The Following User Says Thank You to qlotzan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Just letting you know, your work-ethic is amazing and left me all inspired and motivated. Your improvement in just 6 pages is mind-blowing. i'm sold. Subscribed. x)

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessibelle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    agree 100% with what you wrote abot improving. i got the zhanglu female portrait download a few weeks ago and it kinda boosted my motivation. I've been drawing more than ever and to paint and draw a lot from imagination is soooo important. It makes you see what you stilll do not know. How else will you find out?

What I also find important: Thinking about it. When studying anatomy or everything else, it's essential to think about the stuff you study. There is absolutely no point in doing Bridgman Studies only by trying to copy the lines as close as possible. You have to think hard about what muscle this is or what it is you draw at all.

Another thing (sorry for spamming your SB) that I found helpful: Repeating. Drawing a pose from a photo. Then try to draw the pose from mind. That makes you see what you still don't know. Then study again and draw from mind again and so on.

In the end, there are always people who pick this stuff up faster and some need a lot more time. There's things that are out of your control.

Like your SB by the way, keep it up. =)

-antonio

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Kfeeras For This Useful Post:

Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast